Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2013 Volvo S60 LED Headlight Conversion Help

Views : 1810

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2021, 18:50   #1
seamusmcginley

Default 2013 Volvo S60 LED Headlight Conversion Help

Hi all,

I’ve got a 2013 Volvo S60 2.0 Diesel D4 R-Design 163bhp (pre 2014 facelift version)

I want to replace my halogen headlights with LED headlights and I want to get a advice of anyone that’s done this before.

I’m worried about warning lights on the dash with regards to the Canbus wiring, how can I avoid this and what LEDs fit okay without needing additional brackets/wiring etc.

I’ve seen 55W canbus kits on Amazon at good prices but not sure if compatible.

Thanks in advance
seamusmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 07:31   #2
bomberfr0g

I have been down this dark road, my advice to you is don't bother. you will waste money and effort. I read many articles and thought I would try for myself, after all what do the internet people know
I tried several makes of LED bulb, including the eyewateringly expensive philips bulbs, each time thinking the next one will be better......
They look lovely and white, sadly they do not light up the road so you can actually see properly. they just don't have the length of beam and have dark spots.
The best halogens you will get are the philips/osram uprated bulbs(I prefer Philips RacingVision GT200 Car Headlight Bulbs H7 (Twin) *NEW 2020* 12972RGT200)
there is no substitute for the volvo ABL HID's with decent bulbs(made sure to get a car with these last time!)
LED retrofit are also not road legal and as a result may fail an annual test at best at worst if you are involved in an accident and the other party says they were dazzled, your insurance may be invalid.
bomberfr0g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bomberfr0g For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 09:32   #3
jasmith44
jasmith44

I too have tried different ones and as said there is NO beam,it only lights up maybe 5-6 yards of road and not very well at that.
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 11:48   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberfr0g View Post
I have been down this dark road, my advice to you is don't bother. you will waste money and effort. I read many articles and thought I would try for myself, after all what do the internet people know
I tried several makes of LED bulb, including the eyewateringly expensive philips bulbs, each time thinking the next one will be better......
They look lovely and white, sadly they do not light up the road so you can actually see properly. they just don't have the length of beam and have dark spots.
The best halogens you will get are the philips/osram uprated bulbs(I prefer Philips RacingVision GT200 Car Headlight Bulbs H7 (Twin) *NEW 2020* 12972RGT200)
there is no substitute for the volvo ABL HID's with decent bulbs(made sure to get a car with these last time!)
LED retrofit are also not road legal and as a result may fail an annual test at best at worst if you are involved in an accident and the other party says they were dazzled, your insurance may be invalid.

100% agree with you been there done that . They have been illegal since earlier in the year and will fail MOT as well and give random beam patterns .
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 22:22   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Best option for brighter lights is higher output Halogen lamps - such as Osram Nightbreaker.

Try this site : www.powerbulbs.com
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 20:50   #6
seamusmcginley

So afterall, I decided to try a set of LEDs from Amazon anyway and return if no good. Turns out, pretty pleased.

I got a pair of Mini design H7 LEDs which just fit inside the headlight casing and still allows the backplate to screw back on snug. This prevents the bulb and fan unit from falling backwards or coming loose but enough room that it isn’t forced in, perfect really.

With regards to beam pattern, The LED can be adjusted within the H7 fitting adapter by rotating the LED around as they are seperate units, i played around with them against a wall at night and finally got a sharp, straight, even beam pattern that’s also not blinding. The light output is great, probably not as good as the best halogens you can get although for a halogen designed headlight, it’s sufficient, also makes the car look much newer and sportier with the LED look.

The only flaw is that the dipped beam failure message is on my dash, I’ve ordered canbus decoders/resistors from Amazon so I will update if they clear the fault.

All in all, for the difference in look and sufficient light at night, I’m happy.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 21:10   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcginley View Post
So afterall, I decided to try a set of LEDs from Amazon anyway and return if no good. Turns out, pretty pleased.

I got a pair of Mini design H7 LEDs which just fit inside the headlight casing and still allows the backplate to screw back on snug. This prevents the bulb and fan unit from falling backwards or coming loose but enough room that it isn’t forced in, perfect really.

With regards to beam pattern, The LED can be adjusted within the H7 fitting adapter by rotating the LED around as they are seperate units, i played around with them against a wall at night and finally got a sharp, straight, even beam pattern that’s also not blinding. The light output is great, probably not as good as the best halogens you can get although for a halogen designed headlight, it’s sufficient, also makes the car look much newer and sportier with the LED look.

The only flaw is that the dipped beam failure message is on my dash, I’ve ordered canbus decoders/resistors from Amazon so I will update if they clear the fault.

All in all, for the difference in look and sufficient light at night, I’m happy.
you do realise these LED bulbs are illegal for use in UK ? Checking for them is now part of the MOT test ....
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 21:33   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcginley View Post

Your halogens were 55W so and have a high resistance. The LED will be a fraction of that and will register as a blown bulb. An appropriate resistor will resolve that.

How many watts are the led as it should be quite easy to size a resister.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 22:16   #9
seamusmcginley

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Your halogens were 55W so and have a high resistance. The LED will be a fraction of that and will register as a blown bulb. An appropriate resistor will resolve that.

How many watts are the led as it should be quite easy to size a resister.
The LEDs say Power: 55W/pair 2.0amp so what would the resistance be?

These were the ones I bought NOVSIGHT H7 LED Headlight Bulbs... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RX34N...p_mob_ap_share

Last edited by seamusmcginley; Jan 22nd, 2022 at 22:39.
seamusmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 22:41   #10
seamusmcginley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you do realise these LED bulbs are illegal for use in UK ? Checking for them is now part of the MOT test ....
I’m actually in the Republic of Ireland, also would not pass the NCT, my next test is the end of 2023 so I’ll just swap them for halogen before that.

Tags
canbus, conversion, headlights, led, leds