Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo v70r 1998 fwd ride height

Views : 406

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 17:30   #1
BiggsyV70R

Question Volvo v70r 1998 fwd ride height

Hoping someone can help, I've just had a complete suspension refresh by Volvo, all genuine parts, even replaced the rear nivomat's (OUCH)

springs wise

front 3546641

rear 9140133 (these were sourced from the Netherlands as none in stock in UK or USA)

ride height of the car is now, from the centre f the wheel to the wheel arch, 37cm front, 39cm rear, is this right? due to the fact that the car was sat much lower previously, on a Koni/Apex set up, it looks high, which I expect, but didn't expect the rear to be higher? Do the nivomat's settle down over time?
BiggsyV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 18:46   #2
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsyV70R View Post
Hoping someone can help, I've just had a complete suspension refresh by Volvo, all genuine parts, even replaced the rear nivomat's (OUCH)

springs wise

front 3546641

rear 9140133 (these were sourced from the Netherlands as none in stock in UK or USA)

ride height of the car is now, from the centre f the wheel to the wheel arch, 37cm front, 39cm rear, is this right? due to the fact that the car was sat much lower previously, on a Koni/Apex set up, it looks high, which I expect, but didn't expect the rear to be higher? Do the nivomat's settle down over time?
I have always found that the v70r sits high in standard form and also think that the ride is shocking. Everyone I have ever owned I have lowered by 30mm and replaced all the shockers and removed the nivomats I think that the nivomat setup is very primitive when compared to other brands like w211 Mercedes estate with self leveling rear on air bags they ride really well
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 19:48   #3
CosmicBike

I'll measure mine tomorrow, same year etc and on stock springs based on all the history.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 11:28   #4
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc1267 View Post
I have always found that the v70r sits high in standard form and also think that the ride is shocking. Everyone I have ever owned I have lowered by 30mm and replaced all the shockers and removed the nivomats I think that the nivomat setup is very primitive when compared to other brands like w211 Mercedes estate with self leveling rear on air bags they ride really well
Nothing to compare it to, only I've always liked mine. Nivomats in decent nick give a BiFuel a very decent ride, however that might be down to the extra weight. Same part and number as stock R variants, which means it's not low. If you like doing speed-bumps at 5mph on the diagonal, there was a factory fit lower-option, which I'd leave alone. Simply because the springs will be unobtainium, and the Nivomats for that super-rare/super-daft, price-wise. It's not as if stock Nivomats are cheap!

For use, carrying varying weight over high-miles, that'd be why they found fitment as factory spec. Nivomats are the best all-round compromise option. For a toy that's not doing 'miles', - if you've desire to drag your sump on things - there's an equal but cheaper choices. Nivomat are not required. If your wallet can manage it, fit Nivomat anyway.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 23rd, 2022 at 12:02.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 12:18   #5
CosmicBike

Wheel centre to arch. Front 33cm, rear 34cm. All stock to the best of my knowledge.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 20:49   #6
Steve440
Quicksilver

Ride and handling is excellent on my R and the Nivos always handled heavy weights and our caravan with ease.
Steve440 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve440 For This Useful Post: