Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 245 DL home.

Views : 1338

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 00:04   #1
neil stevenson

Default New 245 DL home.

I am now the proud owner of a 1979 245 DL Auto and got it home this morning.

It has a few problems which need sorting before it can hold its head up high.

The offside footwells, front and rear are soaking wet. I washed the car and found water dripping off the trim just above the bonnet pull. Where does this water come from. The amount coming in would suggest that the water gathered somewhere before leaking in. Either the screen is leaking or water entering the fresh air vents in front of the windscreen is getting in some how. Opinions please.

The rear tailgate now refuses to open from the outside but still can be opened from the inside. Before I strip the door handle and lock out has this happened to anyone else here or is it a common problem with a recogonised fix?

I opened the bonnet to take a few pictures and later went to open it with the intention of power washing the engine bay but the bonnet pull cable broke. Can the bonnet be opened from the outside with out breaking anything? If so how? Does anyone know how much a new bonnet pull costs and are Volvo the only supplier?

The car was never fitted with a radio and has a large tray underneath the ash tray. I would suppose that there was a Volvo part made to hold a radio that fits this or would a pattern part from a i.c.e. dealer fit? Failing that do Volvo still list this part?

The car drove beautifully and covered the 300 miles home with out drama. This is the first Auto I have owned, I have driven a couple years ago and it is very smooth. Not the most economical car I have owned but who cares.

This is the first day of ownership and I have posted already. My other Volvo a 1978 244DL must be due for a stropp.
neil stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 00:28   #2
neil stevenson

Default RE: New 245 DL home.

I new I'd forget something.

The clock and rev counter don't work. I will check if the rev counter is connected to the coil as I assume thats where it gets its signal from. But how does the clock come out to check it?
neil stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:34   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Lots of irritating little problems there, but sounds fun!
First things first - don't break anything to get into the bonnet.
You may be able to reach up from underneath and operate the catch with something, but probably not.
Otherwise you need to remove the plastic radiator grill. You can usually jiggle the two plastic locking pins round 90 degrees, either from underneath or sliding something in just under the bonnet lip. As you have another car you can see how they work. They are on springs, with sort of legs that engage in slots.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 23:16   #4
migrator
Aye - him again

Neil,

You can open the bonnet from the bottom. Go under the car at the front and reach up with a long strong screwdriver (or similar) and move the operating lever to the side. I have done this on a 244 and your 245 should be the same. These cars only have a single bonnet catch in the centre. Not sure if others supply the cables (inner and outer cover). Is it worth trying to get a goodish one from a breaker?

Carefully prise out the clock surround trim from the dash with a flat bladed screwdriver. You can then acess the retaining screws for the clock. When you take it out be careful not to lose the three rubber 'spacer' bars attached to the clock body.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote