Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is the B200E an interference engine?

Views : 2768

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 19:14   #11
JackT5

Default RE: Is the B200E an interference engine?

Can't remember which engine was in my old -86 240GLT, other than it was 2.3 inj, but the cam belt snapped on it with no damage. Just replaced the belt and off it went.
JackT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 00:07   #12
Beardy Rich

Ian, I accept what you're saying about inexperienced people seeking help on this forum - lets face it, even some of the so-called 'experts' don't always know the right answers and ask for help from others.

My point was, regardless of their experience, it would help those of us who offer help on the forum to know as much as possible about the vehicle systems/spec before giving an answer.

In any case, I would think thay most posters on this forum would possess a vehicle handbook or a proper manual to help them identify their particular vehicle spec. If not, then they're not likely to be able to fix anything properly anyway.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:06   #13
migrator
Aye - him again

I am in agreement about the need for as much info as possible. The thing is that some of us - myself included here - do not always realise that specific info apart from the apparent fault would be useful to those willing to offer help. We'll never get a perfect world but with a bit of help we can come close.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 21:40   #14
innsbruk

hello all, having bought my first volvo just a couple of weeks ago,
240GL estate, i changed the timing belt last weekend and checked
for piston to valve clearance out of curiosity .there was not any as it
would not turn all the way over. its a 2litre injection engine (1990)
with the type sticker missing?
if anyone has trouble undoing the crankshft pulley bolt and you do
not have access to an air impact wrench , i used a "polco"impact
wrench (dont laugh)that plugs into the cig. lighter ,took about 10 secs.!!
im slowly working my way around the different engine type numbers!
hope its some help ,regards ,bryan t.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 16:57   #15
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I think in answering any question, there has to be a certain amount of to-ing and fro-ing in order to establish what information might be relevant and what isn't. The person asking the question has, by definition, run up against the limit of his knowledge or expertise. So he presents his problem to a panel of people who may, with luck, contain someone who has better knowledge. That person then has to do some cross-questioning in order to delve further into the problem. I think that is only to be expected.
So it is reasonable to expect the enquirer to know that he has a Volvo, that it is some kind of 240, and probably whether it has a 2.0, 2.1 or 2.3 lt engine. It would be reasonable to expect him to know if it was injection or carburettor. But beyond that I think it is up to the experts to do the probing to get further details. Lots of people run our cars who are perfectly competent at basic maintainance, but may well not know how to tell exactly what kind of B230 it is, or how to distinguish the various kinds of injection system.
I don't think it is very fair to say to them "Go and read your Haynes", because we all know Haynes is pretty hopeless at helping distinguish the different variants. Mine has pictures of left-hand drive cars with relays located in the 'wrong' places and full of references to Canadian spec emission systems.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote