Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting wire for horn button through steering box

Views : 796

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2019, 10:25   #1
tjrvp
New P1800 owner

Default Fitting wire for horn button through steering box

Does anyone have a cunning method of feeding the horn cable from the steering shaft and through the small hole in the steering box.

A friend "helped" me when he kindly pulled the old wire out completely before i could stop him.
tjrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 10:47   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Hmmm - smack his wrist severely! I had similar when changing the clutch cable on my Royal Enfield motorbike years ago!

Not tried it, but how about using a bicycle bowden cable down the hole and with a few twists get said person (with hands tied behind his back) to shout when it emerges out the bottom?

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 11:10   #3
Army
marches on his stomach

It is quite a small hole isn't it.

I will have the same problem in a bit myself but as my steering box is removed from the car and is oil free I hope simple dangling and shoving with the steering box upside down will suffice...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 11:41   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

tj;

It is neigh on impossible to thread the wire going down, as it is akin to threading a needle ...in the end of a pipe (that pipe necessary to prevent loosing Steering Box oil), but is not too difficult going up.

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 12:36   #5
Faust
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
tj;

It is neigh on impossible to thread the wire going down, as it is akin to threading a needle ...in the end of a pipe (that pipe necessary to prevent loosing Steering Box oil), but is not too difficult going up.

Good Hunting!
This echoes my experience...

Replaced my Amazon horn wire a few months back - from inside the car down the column? No chance.

From the engine bay upwards: took a couple of attempts but wasn't too difficult. I tried using a thicker bit of cable with the thinner gauge horn wire taped to it, but it struggled to get past all the obstructions in the column tube.

In the end, I just wiggled the cable around fed it through into the car.

Use a really long bit of cable - you don't want to accidentally pull it all the way through and have to start again and it gives you the freedom to get things just right before you cut it and start connecting the cable at either end.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 22:49   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

A length of thin but stiff brass brazing wire would work. They are usually about a metre long so you might have to solder 2 together.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 18:13   #7
simonvolvo

For a graphic explanation of why you can’t do it from the top, see post #5:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264866
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 02:48   #8
blueosprey90
Master Member

On my PV, there is a spring and a contact at the top of the steering column, making me think my wire would have to be threaded from the top.

My thought is a piece of string (fishing line?), balled up at the end, or maybe tied at the end to some paper for suction. Then with your wife's vacuum, - I guess you might say Hoover - vacuum it up to the top. Tape on your wire and pull it down through.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 09:11   #9
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
On my PV, there is a spring and a contact at the top of the steering column, making me think my wire would have to be threaded from the top.

My thought is a piece of string (fishing line?), balled up at the end, or maybe tied at the end to some paper for suction. Then with your wife's vacuum, - I guess you might say Hoover - vacuum it up to the top. Tape on your wire and pull it down through.
You're gonna have to re-fix that connection I fear.

The chances of threading a wire down through a fully assembled steering box into the small tube that allows the wire to pass but the oil to stay in place are pretty slim.

Here are some pictures from that thread of mine (pictures on page 63 https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...277319&page=63)

The little plate with the long tube is kinda shown even though you casn't see the full length of the tube

If there's access you could remove the plate-with-tube assembly and thread downwards and then thread and fit the plate-with-tube assembly but I'm not sure if that would work in-situ
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote