Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

rear clunk

Views : 1592

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2019, 18:48   #1
amazon69
Premier Member

Default rear clunk

Hello,

Input here appreciated..I have noticed a clunk from the rear of my Amazon when pulling away at most anything other than a sedate pace (ie most of the time for me). All my suspension bushings are tip top, panhard rod bushings same, car is very well looked after as I drive it every day. So, I thought it was probably the rear U/J, even though they were replaced with uprated ones when I had the prop shortened a few years ago. So, I went under the car to grease the U/J and check things out. When I turned the prop to find the noise, the U/J was fine, (I greased it anyway) but the clonk came from either the diff or the half shafts..I can't tell which..basically the axle somewhere. Any tips on whether that is likely to be a wheel bearing or a diff issue? It seemed to come from both sides, so maybe not a bearing. I have never changed the rear bearings in the 15 years I've had the car however. Rear diff looked after as much as it can be, ie oil changes etc, but I do drive the car hard, so I suppose it could be that. Any tips appreciated, thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 20:05   #2
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default clunk

U/ joints can hide issues when checking them in situ. I would remove the prop then you can pull forward and back as well as checking for rotation issues on all joints. Also check the centre rubber mount and bearing on a 70 model.
My 70 Amazon also has a slight clunk when rocking the diff input flange, though nothing can be heard during road use. i assume this is normal. Also check the rear drums are tight on the tapered half shafts. Go for the simple items first.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 10:45   #3
jimbo1593
Master Member

prop bush
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 14:12   #4
sleek lemur

Hi Amazon 69, did you get to the bottom of this? I have an intermittent clunk from th rear when pulling away from standstill. I bought my car as a nut and bolt restoration and although not perfect, the underside looks terrific and all bushes look to be brand new.
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 16:49   #5
amazon69
Premier Member

I think it is a U/J. I re-tightened everything all over the car, that helped, I did find a few bolts which were not super tight.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 11:25   #6
sleek lemur

Found a couple of loose nuts. Can anyone describe to me what I should expect from the rubber Centra propshaft mounting? Mine looks in good condition, however it does allow a certain amount of lateral movement, although I don't think this could be the cause of the clunk.

Any guidance very gratefully received!
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 13:02   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

sl;

A cyclic "intermittent clunk from the rear when pulling away from standstill." is often caused by a worn U-Joint OR worn/sloppy center support bushing (beware of poor quality [read: Durometer of rubber less than Jello!] replacement bushings) OR combination of the two...I'd grab the Driveshaft and give it a good tug away from its resting position...if you can make it clunk thusly, so can the car on take-off...U-Js are best checked with Driveshaft removed from vehicle...

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 14:31   #8
sleek lemur

Thanks, Ron. The propshaft itself doesn't move laterally, but when I twist it there is 2 or 3 degrees of movement. Do you think that's my problem?
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 08:11   #9
CAmazon

Hello...first time poster and only recent owner of an Amazon but quickly falling in love. I am also experiencing this issue, upon inspection the U/Js seem solid but reading here maybe I need to remove to make sure. I also wanted to see if it could be caused by bad carrier? I bought the car with a bad M41 and swapped in an M40. The carrier was not the stock version but a bracket system that had three pins on it that float in three rubber grommets , see photos. As you can see the the bracket sits slightly different on the m40 shaft and m41 shaft, the pins don't go in nearly as far with the M40, could this be my issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190920_184559.jpg (196.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190928_162500.jpg (240.5 KB, 22 views)
CAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 09:18   #10
sleek lemur

Hi C, Welcome!

The problem with my 1800E was the rubber carrier at the centre join of the propshaft. It was a little sloppy, meaning the propshaft was occasionally bashing the lower side of the tunnel through which it travels. Looking at the rear gearbox rubber mount, the design of this does not offer much vertical support, meaning that quote a lot of strain is placed on that central carrier.

Parts are all available from Brookhouse. I'm also a new owner and I've been very pleased with price and availability of parts and also service from Brookhouse.