Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AW55-50SN Drive to reverse thud

Views : 286

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 14:49   #1
foxwelljsly

Default AW55-50SN Drive to reverse thud

2002 V70 D5 Auto. 167,000 miles.

There's a bit of a thud when shifting from drive to reverse and when selecting drive. Seems worst once engine is warm. No hard shifting or flare to speak of.

I have recently had the instrument board fixed, so the electrics are hunky dory and I've got no warnings coming up. I also had 2/3 of the ATF replaced at the last shop service (will do the same at the next shop service in 4000 miles).

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? I was thinking this could be a sticky transmission solenoid.

cheers
foxwelljsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 20:26   #2
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

It most likely IS sticky solenoid..
Sticky due to all the crud accumulated over 160k miles.

You say you had 1/3 of fluid changed, and this brings me to ask these few:

Do you know what fluid was used?
Are you 100% sure what you think was used- was used?
Why do you want to wait 4000miles until next change?
With this behaviour I'd be doing the 1/3 changes quite often, most likely it this or similar pattern:

CHANGE- 20 miles or 24 hours- CHANGE- 100miles or a week -CHANGE- 200 miles or 2 weeks - CHANGE- 500miles..

Next intervals would be 1000 miles, 5000 miles, annual (remaining annual for a while).

Don't pay silly money to garage for something you can do yourself either.
As I remember, 20ltrs of correct oil will cost around £80, and will last you a while.

First change on your own may take you good 2 hours, but next time you'll know what and where and it will take less time.

So in short- clean the insides of your gearbox by frequently changing oil.

But before that- make sure the oil that was swapped by the garage was the right one.

What you need is JWS3309.

Not some dextrons etc.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 21:21   #3
oragex
Premier Member

The fluid used is the correct 3309 type? Maybe check again the level the right way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czDDSwguYR8

Otherwise, look at the upper and lower engine torque mounts (especially the upper one).

As mentioned, it may also be a solenoid issue, perhaps due to the fluid change or age.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 07:13   #4
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Check gearbox torque mount, under the car in front of the gearbox on mine.
On gearbox fluid, would you ask for just half your engine oil to be changed.....

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 08:24   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Quote:
On gearbox fluid, would you ask for just half your engine oil to be changed...
I think the idea is to clean the gearbox gently and not release all the crud in one blast, possibly causing a blockage in one of the small oil ways or solenoids.

An engine is much more tolerant and normally will have had regular oil changes, therefore should have much less crud in it anyway.

A lot of gearboxes don't get the oil changed until there is an actual problem, so the gearbox oil will have lost its cleaning properties and could be burnt. The gearbox oil ways might be starting to block and solenoids might be starting to stick

Bit like Cholesterol, you don't want Cholesterol
deposits that have narrowed an artery to be all released in one go!!

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Mar 23rd, 2019 at 08:27.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 08:35   #6
BarryCambs

I'd also check for play in the CV joints/drive shaft. A clonk engaging D or R was the first sign of problems for both my shafts
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote