Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help

Views : 416

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 18:31   #1
Heldes

Default Help

Please help going away Monday and battery went flat so charged it now won't start and display saying start prevented try again but won't start
Heldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 20:28   #2
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Car, year, engine?

Also- by "won't start" you mean it won't even crank, or it will crank but not start or yet something else?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 06:26   #3
Heldes

Sorry 54 plate 2.4 message says start prevented battery died and have charged it now this
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 06:56   #4
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Well.. Sorry for being rough..

But I can't help you.

I don't think there is someone who can either.

As far as I'm aware, I can't read minds, I'm pretty sure of that, I cannot remotely diagnose a fault on a blown bulb without someone checking stuff for me and answering questions.
So it will be with pretty much anybody else.

If you can't be bothered with answering question, checking this or that on your own car....

Well.. Good luck!
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 08:35   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

As ThomasG says without more detail it's all very much guesswork.Presumably there were no such problems before the battery went flat?What caused that? i.e. was the car left standing for a long period? or was something left switched on to drain the battery/etcThe battery is on the correct way round?Battery connections clean and tight?If it's an auto have you tried starting in both park and neutral positions?If it's a manual have you tried starting it with the clutch pressed?As has been asked does the engine turn over but not start?If not is there any noise[a click or a spinning noise from the starter motor?Could it be down to the immobiliser not recognizing the key[antenna ring round the ignition would be favourite here I think]?Others no doubt will know more than I do but the more detail/information you can give the better your chances of an answer.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:26   #6
traebbe

Hi Heldes,

if you install a new Battery, there's a special way to do ist on the cars.
Otherwise you get several faults.
Turn ignition on and shut down all fans/lights/seat heating/audio.
Then turn ignition off and wait for about 10 minutes to let all systems shut down.
Now remove both cables at the battery, then shorten the + and the - Wire (both not connected to the battery) for about 10 Minutes.

Connect the new battery as desribed in the following procedure:
First turn the key on position II (Ignition on)
Close all dorrs exept the luggage door.
put the + cable onto the battery and take care, that it is fixed well.
Then connect the - cable to the battery and even look, that it is fixed well.
Remove the key from the ignition-switch.
Wait for mor 10 minutes to shut down all systems.
turn the key into start position, the engine should start now.
Perhaps you had to repeat the procedure.
After running the engine switch it off, close all doors and lock/unlock the driversdoor with the Key (not the FOB) three times.
Then all systems should work correct.
traebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traebbe For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 17:55   #7
reggit
Premier Member

I’ve never had an issue connecting the battery with the ignition off.
‘Start prevented’ says the transponder chip in the key cant be read.
Assuming you haven’t been fiddling with the key, the most likely suspect is the reader coil which is under the steering column shroud. Probably worth cleaning the connections on this as a starting point.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 18:05   #8
petey
Master Member

When I was messing about with a Snap-On Verus tool, I played about with the “transmission module”. Mine’s a manual and doesn’t have one, I just wanted to see what it would do.

Turns out, bugger it up is what it will do:- if you place an invalid request on the CAN bus, this can upset modules, including the immobiliser. I had the same message and couldn’t start the car.
All I had to do was get out, shut the door and wait for the CAN bus to go to sleep (90s odd), everything resets and all is good.

During a brown out (low voltage spike) corrupt messages might well be sent on the bus causing the issue you have. I stress though, I saw it after playing silly buggers, not as a result of low voltage, but the outcome could be the same.

All you really need do is have the key in position II when you connect the battery. It won’t die if you don’t, but that’s what they ask for so you’d might as well do it. I would ALWAYS leave a door open just in case the locks have a benny attack and you don’t want to crawl through the cabin. Be aware that the battery will spark as it’s connected, just be firm with it to reduce arcing.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petey For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 09:27   #9
Heldes

Sorry if I'm a little vague but I am going away tomoz and just in a blind panic since this happened try to arrange lifts for the dog sitter to get here and a lift to the airport that's not gonna cost 300 quid. I suffer with high anxiety and stress levels at easy times. But thank you to the more helpful people