Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Basic cr702 radio question...

Views : 781

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 19:05   #11
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's weird Bob, i've used that site before for Clarion, Philips (only one "L" in the middle! - i used to work for them ) and a few others. Never had a problem before but you could try replacing the "empty" leading digits with zeros - that worked for me a couple of times, especially on the Clarion unit i needed a code for. If memory serves, although it was an option on the Rover 827 Sterling that i got it from ("Premium Sound Pack") i had to look under Land-Rover as it was a standard fit on the Range-Rover.

Sometimes pays to have a play around with possible manufacturers!
They said if it doesn't work send them an email ... so I have!! - Bob (Phil)
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 16:42   #12
Will760T

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful suggestions, its really appreciated. I was getting ready to take the unit out and have a more detailed look at it, so disconnected everything, including the harness. Then for some reason I decided to put it back in, and give the code one last go. It worked! Very strange, as the code had given ERR countless times before. Anyway, now the radio works nicely, even with a snapped off aerial. Cheers!
Will760T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will760T For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 17:42   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will760T View Post
Very strange, as the code had given ERR countless times before. Anyway, now the radio works nicely, even with a snapped off aerial. Cheers!
Maybe not strange at all - it's possible that despite having entered the code correctly, you (or someone else) may have tried entering it incorrectly several times before and "locked it out".

I'm not sure with the Volvo (Alpine?) units but i know of a series of Philips units, for every incorrect try after the third, the lock out time is doubled and starts at an hour.

In other words, three incorrect tries and it's locked for an hour so will only give error messages on the screen, even with the correct code entered correctly.

It treats these as incorrect entries and doubles the time so an hour becomes 2 hours, that becomes 4 hours and so on, all the way up to 32768 hours. That's 1365.333 days or 1365 days and 8 hours. That's just over 195 weeks or about 3 years, 9 months.

It always says in the instructions that the power must be maintained while it counts down the lock-out time but i've known many that allow one code entry if the power is removed and reconnected. If that entry is correct, all well and good, if not

Glad you got it sorted anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 17:47   #14
bob12
bob12

Yes, for some reason it would appear that you locked yourself out as 6666 would have been a good code for a CR-702. Anyway good news; now you can play your massive collection of cassettes!! Bob
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 20:40   #15
Will760T

Cheers guys, some great detailed knowledge on here that's for sure! As for cassettes, I have a few but when was the last time you really played one? Imagine the inconvenience of fast forward as opposed to skip to next track! FM will do me fine
Will760T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will760T For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 20:49   #16
bob12
bob12

I removed my CR-702 years ago when it faltered and replaced it with a HU that gives me bluetooth conectivity to my phone that works through the HU/speakers (magic stuff like that) and other bluetooth stuff, usb, sd card, aux inputs etc. You name it I got it, but don't quite know how to use it all!! Bob
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 21:09   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

As i mentioned earlier, i've only ever had one 7xx with the original stereo in and that was on its last legs at the time.

I've now got a radio/cassette HU and boot mounted 6-disc CD changer in mine with an add-on Bluetooth transmitter doo-dah that links my mobile phone to the stereo so i can play music from my phone, hear sat-nag commands and even take calls handsfree with the call being played through the speakers.

I have a remote control to add to it at some point, on the donor vehicle it was steering wheel mounted with a rotary coupling built into the wheel and steering column etc but i daresay i can find an alternative place that looks/feels right.

Seems the OE stereos don't last that well in the 7xx which is a shame.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 11:15   #18
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
They said if it doesn't work send them an email ... so I have!! - Bob (Phil)
Got an email back this am from Radio Code they can't supply the CR-702 code.

Quote:

Unfortunately, we will not be able to assist you with the retrieval of your code using the details you have provided. We have checked your serial number in our systems and I'm afraid that we don't have the codes for your radio available.

Due to this, we recommend contacting the vehicle manufacturer to retrieve the code.

I apologise that we can't be of any more help.

Kind Regards

Unquote

Bob.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 18:59   #19
Piet22

For this type of radio the code is determined by diodes (up to 12) that are welded on the motherboard.
See the picture of a comparable CR-906 on a dutch volvo forum: http://volvolvo.nl/thread-11625.html

The second picture shows a screen view of the program that calculates the code based on the location of the diodes.
If you can post a picture of the diodes in your radio I will be able to calculate the code for you.

Alternatively, if you remove all the diodes (e.g. with some small pliers) the code will become 0000 or 6666.

Piet
Piet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Piet22 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 20:05   #20
Forrest
VOC Member

I seem to recall cases where the original code has failed to work being attributed to the diodes starting to fail and thus effectively randomising the code. It is possible the complete power down reset or revived an ailing component sufficiently to make it work. If it is due to this you might get the same thing happen next time you need to enter the code.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: