Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Heater Control Valve

Views : 6063

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2012, 19:44   #1
jim f

Default 940 Heater Control Valve

Hi,
I want to replace the heater control valve on my non-air con' 91 SE Turbo. Does anyone know if it is possible to do so without removing the clutch pedal? If the pedal has to be removed could someone please advise how to go about this?
Many Thanks,
Jim.
jim f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 20:17   #2
gpl1968
VOC Member

Apparently not.
Instructions attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Water valve (manual) replacement.pdf (401.0 KB, 178 views)

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Jun 19th, 2014 at 09:29.
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 08:42   #3
jim f

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl1968 View Post
Apparently not.
Instructions attached.
Thanks for the info', much obliged.
Jim.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 13:36   #4
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim f View Post
Hi,
I want to replace the heater control valve on my non-air con' 91 SE Turbo. Does anyone know if it is possible to do so without removing the clutch pedal? If the pedal has to be removed could someone please advise how to go about this?
Many Thanks,
Jim.
Just to say, as you thought it was on the right hand side and not the left, you might not have checked the following, when mine went on my 940 I eventually found underneath the passenger carpet was absolutely sodden

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 08:50   #5
jim f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Just to say, as you thought it was on the right hand side and not the left, you might not have checked the following, when mine went on my 940 I eventually found underneath the passenger carpet was absolutely sodden
Hi,
Had checked the passenger side just in case the heater matrix was at fault, luckily this side is completely dry. I have a new heater control valve, but am a bit concerned about having to remove the clutch pedal to gain access.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 17:45   #6
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Clutch pedal removal to access heater valve

Hello jim f, (My car is 940 estate, 1992 2.0litre petrol)
I had this problem in 2007/8 and didn't realise that the clutch pedal must be removed and I didn't have that extremely helpfull pdf file provided by gpl1968 in his post but Peter Haynes advised me about removing the clutch pedal as follows:
Disconnect the clutch master cylinder push rod from the clutch pedal by removing the clip from the cotter pin and removing the pin.
Remove the clutch pedal fulcrum bolt (12mm and no shims or washers on mine)
Remove the left side support (nearest the transmission tunnel). It has one
12mm bolt at the top of the bulkhead and two 13mm nuts on bolts which also secure the clutch master cylinder to the bulkhead. (Leave the bolts and master cylinder in situ as the cylinder should just hang on the bolts).
This now gives you space to manouvre the heater valve out of the bulkhead.
After disconnecting the hoses and unclipping the two operating cables from the housing I found that the valve and control unit on my car had to be removed as one complete unit by turning it clockwise through 90 degrees to free the lugs from the bulkhead. (It is mounted on the bayonet principle with two lugs (or "dogs") on the moulding diametrically opposed to each other which which engage into the "bayonet" fitting hole in the bulkhead.)
Care is required when manouvering the corner extremities of the control housing past the rubber gaiter around the clutch cylinder push-rod, but as the cylinder is no longer secured to the bulkhead this is now possible.
Having turned the entire unit through 90 degress clockwise it should come away from the bulkhead in one piece.
The valve itself is secured to the back of the control housing by plastic clips forming part of the control housing itself so VERY CAREFULLY prise the old valve away from the housing and EQUALLY CAREFULLY locate the new valve into the housing.
The control cables:
The temperature control cable operates a lever on the control housing which pivots at the top right hand corner of the housing. A concave cam on that lever actually moves the valve itself. The same lever also operates the air flap control cable.
When re-assembling I found that it was easier to locate the temperature control cable into the plastic lever before fitting the unit to the bulkhead and fit the air control cable afterwards.
I hope this is helpful.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 15:28   #7
jim f

Hi Ian,
Many thanks. Your comprehensive reply is very much appreciated.
Jim.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 21:19   #8
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default re Heater Control Valve and Clutch Pedal Removal

You're very welcome Jim.
Please add a post to advise how the job goes and if anything different from my post.
Thanks.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 15:49   #9
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I had this problem in 2007/8 and didn't realise that the clutch pedal must be removed and I didn't have that extremely helpfull pdf file provided by gpl1968 in his post but Peter Haynes advised me about removing the clutch pedal as follows:
Disconnect the clutch master cylinder push rod from the clutch pedal by removing the clip from the cotter pin and removing the pin.
12mm bolt at the top of the bulkhead and two 13mm nuts on bolts which also secure the clutch master cylinder to the bulkhead. (Leave the bolts and master cylinder in situ as the cylinder should just hang on the bolts).
After disconnecting the hoses and unclipping the two operating cables from the housing I found that the valve and control unit on my car had to be removed as one complete unit by turning it clockwise through 90 degrees to free the lugs from the bulkhead. (It is mounted on the bayonet principle with two lugs (or "dogs") on the moulding diametrically opposed to each other which which engage into the "bayonet" fitting hole in the bulkhead.)
Care is required when manouvering the corner extremities of the control housing past the rubber gaiter around the clutch cylinder push-rod, but as the cylinder is no longer secured to the bulkhead this is now possible.
Having turned the entire unit through 90 degress clockwise it should come away from the bulkhead in one piece.
The valve itself is secured to the back of the control housing by plastic clips forming part of the control housing itself so VERY CAREFULLY prise the old valve away from the housing and EQUALLY CAREFULLY locate the new valve into the housing.
The control cables:
The temperature control cable operates a lever on the control housing which pivots at the top right hand corner of the housing. A concave cam on that lever actually moves the valve itself. The same lever also operates the air flap control cable.
When re-assembling I found that it was easier to locate the temperature control cable into the plastic lever before fitting the unit to the bulkhead and fit the air control cable afterwards.
I hope this is helpful.
I found it. Sorry but I’ve had to bump this thread as I don’t know any other way of moving my thread.
I suppose that you don’t need most of it but the last three paragraphs my be helpful.
Ian.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 09:56   #10
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default For Vicky in Penzance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
The control cables:
I hope this is helpful.
Vicky,
This may help.
Sorry about bumping the thread but it was the quickest way for me.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: