Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another Ex Skoda Man…

Views : 3172

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2019, 17:12   #1
Whaty

Default Another Ex Skoda Man…

I’m due to get my new S90 on Monday and therefore I’ve been watching this forum with interest over the past few weeks. Whilst scrolling through the various threads I’ve been surprised to see a few familiar names from the Briskoda forum and if any of you are reading this, I would be interested to know which Volvo you’ve gone for and how you feel it compares to the Superb.

Regards,
Terry
Whaty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whaty For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 06:17   #2
jotka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaty View Post
how you feel it compares to the Superb.
Welcome, mate
I've changed Superb 2 FL 2.0TDI to S90 D5. I liked Superb a lot, had not a single problem with it, but the level of comfort now in S90 is on a different level. Handling is better, its quieter and just have general cosy feeling which is awesome.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 12:32   #3
redbuta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaty View Post
I’m due to get my new S90 on Monday and therefore I’ve been watching this forum with interest over the past few weeks. Whilst scrolling through the various threads I’ve been surprised to see a few familiar names from the Briskoda forum and if any of you are reading this, I would be interested to know which Volvo you’ve gone for and how you feel it compares to the Superb.

Regards,
Terry
Welcome to Volvo.

Over 6.5 years, my Skoda Superb only had a blocked EGR at the end - and it was fully paid for by Skoda UK due to EA189 fix warranty.

Can't fault it really - never noticed the DPF as I worried about before buying it. Served the family very well.

Well, the Volvo XC90 is just a much better car in every way - just 2.5 times the price, and 1.7 times thirsty.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 12:56   #4
LordLucan

Interested in the opinions here. Im coming to a V90 d4 from a skoda octavia vrs estate. However, i don't get my new car for another 2 weeks
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 22:14   #5
Daveh1000

I came from Superb 2 170 DSG with a remap to a XC90 T8. I would have probably gone for a Q7 but after Dieselgate and subsequent actions I vowed never to buy a VAG car again until I felt they had changed.
I still miss the skoda in some ways it never put a foot wrong which is more than my current car. Build quality I feel is similar but more expensive materials in the Volvo and of course much more toys and safety in the Volvo. The Volvo is a more relaxing drive possibly due to Pilot assist and eats through the miles although more frequent stops partly due to the small fuel take on the MY18.
XC90 is a lovely car, it’s twice the cost of the Skoda, is it twice as good as a new Kodiaq?. Hmmm not sure, equally not sure I would go back either.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 22:42   #6
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh1000 View Post
XC90 is a lovely car, it’s twice the cost of the Skoda, is it twice as good as a new Kodiaq?. Hmmm not sure, equally not sure I would go back either.
The ratio between quality and cost is often not a linear one
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 15:41   #7
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucan View Post
Interested in the opinions here. Im coming to a V90 d4 from a skoda octavia vrs estate. However, i don't get my new car for another 2 weeks
Difficult to compare as different cars. I came from Superb 3 SE-L (via a 5 Series) to V90 R Design D4 - Volvo is a much better place to be, eats the miles easily, seats are super comfy, tech much better and build quality & materials streets ahead of Skoda.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 13:32   #8
St James

I came from an Octavia vRS (diesel) hatch which I'd owned from new and covered c.80k miles in 5 years with no issues, to an XC60 with all the bells and whistles.

I loved my vRS, but I love the XC60 more - not even the latest model, but the tech is awesome (adaptive cruise, etc.), the seats are waaay more comfortable (not that the Skoda's were poor), and it just feels like a much better car all round.

To be honest it's probably not the fairest of comparisons, going from a sports hatch to an SUV, but I guess it reflects the age I am and thus what I want from a car these days.

The biggest thing is, when I'm driving my wife and kids around in it, it just feels properly safe.

I love that feeling.

J
2010 (10) Skoda Octavia vRS CR170 DSG
St James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 15:20   #9
LordLucan

Mine is a 2015 vrs estate and has some nice extras, including adaptive cruise and Lane assist etc. It'll have 80k on it when i give it back in 10 days. I find the seats suit the vrs very well but the general stiff ride and cabin noise can be tiresome on a long journey. I'll post up some preliminary comments after I've swapped to the V90. I can tell these next 10 days are going to draaaaaaaaaaag
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 15:44   #10
jonnyu

Comparing a Skoda with a Volvo?
When I upgraded from FIAT to Audi, I never posed a similar question or else people would take me out to the street and would burn me on a stick simply because it's not comparable. They are not on the same league.