Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Basic cr702 radio question...

Views : 780

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 06:59   #1
Will760T

Default Basic cr702 radio question...

Hi, I'm sure this will count as one of the more obvious questions asked, but I'm having trouble entering my radio code. I believe the radio is original to the car. I have the code from the dealer. The first two digits are zeros, which I dont have buttons for on the fascia. If I just use the four digits after the zeros that doesn't work, and I've tried 6666, which also doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?!
Will760T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 07:10   #2
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default email

email Simon at FRF Swansea if it's the original radio and get the correct code.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 09:58   #3
Will760T

Thanks - is that a different process to what my local dealer would have done then? I have the code confirmed from my dealer, which matches what the previous owner told me
Cheers
Will760T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 10:30   #4
bob12
bob12

Thinking back as I have had several CR-702's. I seem to recall that the maker didn't use any zero's in the radio code.

I have just looked in a CR 702 handbook and it only refers to the six digit key pad for code entry. Some codes were repeated try 4645. FRF don't usually answer emails these days and ask people to phone them. Mention you are a member of the Volvo Forum.

Otherwise you will have to open up the head unit and read the diodes. I believe there is help here under FAQ's above, YouTube, and in the past there have been other threads on the subject.

Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 10:43   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will760T View Post
Hi, I'm sure this will count as one of the more obvious questions asked, but I'm having trouble entering my radio code. I believe the radio is original to the car. I have the code from the dealer. The first two digits are zeros, which I dont have buttons for on the fascia. If I just use the four digits after the zeros that doesn't work, and I've tried 6666, which also doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?!
You must use the last 4 numbers leading zeros are supressed , So what happened last time the radio lost the code? The car can't have been live continuously for the last 30 years can it?

There is another method of determining the code , That is the Main volvo database which is separate , the dealer has to access this and they need the Radio serial number , the model type from the front panel ( CR 702 ) and the part number from the label on the back .. sometimes they need the front panel colour too , grey or black . I would be surprised if any of them there know about it , knowing how high the labour turnover rate is of the front counter staff . however the service IS available .. so press them for it ! you might find a later radio CR 906 for example, which is considerably better.
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 10:48   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

From your comments above, i'm guessing the code is "00666" and as there are no zeros to enter with the keypad, have you tried "666" on its own?

This may be of help :

https://www.radio-code.co.uk/CR702-c...try-guide.html

Gives the method for entering the code. They can also provide the correct code if other options fail.

However, have you checked the fuses? There are two for the radio, one is for the switched accessory positon on the ignition barrel and the other is a permanent +12v feed for the memory. If that isn't present, the code entry won't be accepted and other things may not be working such as the clock, interior lights, hazard warning flashers and/or similar.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 13:19   #7
bob12
bob12

The CR-702 has to be a 4 figure code. The makers (Alpine?) favourite numbers were often a mixture of 4's 5's and 6's! Trouble is after 3 false entries, 'EEE' and then 'CODE' for another go, the radio then locks out further attempts for 1 hour!!

Bob.
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 13:35   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
The CR-702 has to be a 4 figure code. The makers (Alpine?) favourite numbers were often a mixture of 4's 5's and 6's! Trouble is after 3 false entries, 'EEE' and then 'CODE' for another go, the radio then locks out further attempts for 1 hour!!

Bob.
Useful info Bob! I've never had an OE Volvo head unit that needed a code, only had one OE Volvo head unit in my first 740GLE about 15 years ago. That was the previous model that didn't have a code option or if it did, i wasn't aware of it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 13:39   #9
bob12
bob12

Tried that link Dave as it looked excellent and thought I would test it. The site needs you to input the '14 digit serial number'. Got my old CR-702 out of the garage for which I know the code, but unfortunately the serial number is only 11 digits, or an alternative 9 digits long. It won't accept a shorter number. Looking again at the site I see it seems to say it is only for HU's made by Phillips. Bob.

Last edited by bob12; Mar 23rd, 2019 at 13:47.
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 15:44   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Tried that link Dave as it looked excellent and thought I would test it. The site needs you to input the '14 digit serial number'. Got my old CR-702 out of the garage for which I know the code, but unfortunately the serial number is only 11 digits, or an alternative 9 digits long. It won't accept a shorter number. Looking again at the site I see it seems to say it is only for HU's made by Phillips. Bob.
That's weird Bob, i've used that site before for Clarion, Philips (only one "L" in the middle! - i used to work for them ) and a few others. Never had a problem before but you could try replacing the "empty" leading digits with zeros - that worked for me a couple of times, especially on the Clarion unit i needed a code for. If memory serves, although it was an option on the Rover 827 Sterling that i got it from ("Premium Sound Pack") i had to look under Land-Rover as it was a standard fit on the Range-Rover.

Sometimes pays to have a play around with possible manufacturers!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: