Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drivers Information Module (DIM) replacement

Views : 161774

Replies : 477

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: S60 & V70 DIM, had it replaced yet?
Yes 53 9.12%
No 247 42.51%
Soon, showing signs... 208 35.80%
Had it repaired 73 12.56%
Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 9th, 2018, 18:49   #441
jeremycolley

DIM fine 168k miles 2005 XC70 P2 163hp

Another recommendation for VolvoDiagnostics. Lukas repaired my CEM and I had it back in a couple of days. Sorted out by 'Brake Failure' message and numerous other DTC's. Great service, highly knowledgeable, great value.

Previous Volvo's, 1996 855 T5 CD Aubergine 855 N/A CD, 940 Wentworth, 760 Estate,740 Estate, 240 DL Estate,240 GLT Estate
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremycolley For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 11:01   #442
ab2504s

Lucasz fixed my DIM earlier this year. Unfortunately it failed again a couple of weeks ago. His website said he offers a lifetime warranty on his repairs so I gave him a call.

I live near enough to be able drive to his premises. When I called him he said I could pop round the same day if I wanted, so I did. He diagnosed the problem (failed resistor) and fixed - only took him 40 minutes. Problem was probably unrelated to the repair he had done previously but he sorted it out, cleared my DTC codes and sent me on my way. All under 'warranty' & he didn't even ask to see the repair invoice...

Great customer service, definitely knows what he's doing, and seems like a nice bloke as well. Lucasz if you read this, thanks.
ab2504s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ab2504s For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 22:30   #443
barry4913

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAN60 View Post
Yes you can use a second hand unit and even volvo uk will confirm this, just make sure all the numbers match up and you have a code reader handy like a EU702 to turn the SRS SERVICE message off.

Mine has been working great, not a problem and saved £500

As for milage, try to make sure you get a second hand unit with less miles than your car as it will display whichever reading is highest i.e if the car originally had 99,000 miles and the second hand unit had 120,000 miles, 120,000 miles would be shown and so on.
Hi. Can you remember which numbers you had to match.
There are 4 lines of numbers. Is it all 4 lines matching exactly. Or just some of them.
Thanks
barry4913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 22:06   #444
ians

I will post mine off tomorrow and let you all know time scale and service from volvo diagnostics
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 16:20   #445
ians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians View Post
I will post mine off tomorrow and let you all know time scale and service from volvo diagnostics
posted Monday arrived back from Volvo diagnostics today (Thursday) Great service and cost was £75 returned
ians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 17:50   #446
LankyTim
Missing the point

Using the information in this thread I've just replaced the failing cluster from my 2002 V70 with one I took from a 2002 S60 that I broke up last year. All the numbers were the same apart from the barcode number. It all seems to work fine! I've lost 23,000 miles but it's a small price to pay for a fully working instrument cluster. I just need to reset the service needed message and sort out the alarm module now!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 21:30   #447
jnmonaghan

Default Chrome Ring DIM repair

I would like to thank Lukas (Volvo Diagnostic ) for fixing the bottom left message display on a replacement DIM I bought from a local scrap yard- for £40. My original DIM had been with Lukas on 2 previous occasions and had his life time guarantee, but rather than send it again, I bought a 2004 chrome ring one, which worked OK when I connected it in he scrap yard, but later the bottom left message display did not work. Everything else worked including the automatic setting of the time clock. Lukas repaired the DIM on the strength of the original faulty 2003 Dim - FOC. (which I still have)
Only one of the 4 numbers on the back matched- S/No 2248.
Thanks again Lukas-- for a great service.

Jude
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 20:05   #448
Orchid70

Our friends DIM broke - went dead.
We didnt manage to repair it so I started to look for an other used one.
I found one, with exact same numbers, but it did come from a manual car - ours was automatic.
It did not work - only the engine light was lit.
So at home again- I desided to test from our own automatic V70II, from same year - it worked!!
So you need to have same numbers on DIm - and it needs to vome oput of a smae transmission car.
Trats why for some it works to change - and dor some it doesnt work.
Orchid70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 00:33   #449
seventeenapg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmonaghan View Post
I would like to thank Lukas (Volvo Diagnostic ) for fixing the bottom left message display on a replacement DIM I bought from a local scrap yard- for £40. My original DIM had been with Lukas on 2 previous occasions and had his life time guarantee, but rather than send it again, I bought a 2004 chrome ring one, which worked OK when I connected it in he scrap yard, but later the bottom left message display did not work. Everything else worked including the automatic setting of the time clock. Lukas repaired the DIM on the strength of the original faulty 2003 Dim - FOC. (which I still have)
Only one of the 4 numbers on the back matched- S/No 2248.
Thanks again Lukas-- for a great service.

Jude
Hi Jude,
I have a great 2002 S60T and love it . I use as a winter car and have winter tyres etc. I live in Belfast so thats why Im reaching out. I have read all of the posts on here in reference to the DIM and it seems that the "DIM" is the complete dashboard unit housing speedo, rev counter, indicator arrows fuel and temp guages etc. The fault that I have is the message box at the bottom left of the display unit. Sometimes it works and others not. Its been like this now for a year or so but now I would like to get it repaired. All other parts of the DIM are working perfectly. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
seventeenapg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 02:09   #450
Orchid70

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventeenapg View Post
Hi Jude,
I have a great 2002 S60T and love it . I use as a winter car and have winter tyres etc. I live in Belfast so thats why Im reaching out. I have read all of the posts on here in reference to the DIM and it seems that the "DIM" is the complete dashboard unit housing speedo, rev counter, indicator arrows fuel and temp guages etc. The fault that I have is the message box at the bottom left of the display unit. Sometimes it works and others not. Its been like this now for a year or so but now I would like to get it repaired. All other parts of the DIM are working perfectly. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
The V70 Dashes - DIMs - have bad quality solders. Leave it for repair to someone who knows what they do or buy a new one.
Do NOT but it in owen!!
This is what it looks like and this is only one side of it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003 (2).jpg (106.2 KB, 15 views)
Orchid70 is offline   Reply With Quote