Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is the B200E an interference engine?

Views : 2755

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 18:19   #1
Colin Shepherd

Default Is the B200E an interference engine?

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL188/...8/23744414.jpg

I posted a question on this forum a while ago asking if the B200E in my 740 was an "interference" type engine, ie. in the event of a timing belt break do the valves hit the pistons.
Informed opinion at the time was that all the B2** serias engines were non-interference.

Having just bought an `88 GL for spares with this engine I set about proving this one way or the other.

What I did was to remove the timing belt, valve cover and spark plugs.
With the crank at a few degrees before TDC the cam was turned to put the inlet valve on No 1 cylinder to full lift.
Then the crank was turned GENTLY BY HAND towards TDC, but before it got there the piston made very solid contact with the valve.
This was repeated for the exhaust valve with the same result.

Conclusion:- The B200E (and almost certainly the B230E) IS an interference engine and WILL suffer damage if the valve timing is lost.

Pehaps it would be useful for someone to try this next time they have a B230F or similar with the belt off, and post the result.

Is your belt overdue a change?????

I will post this on the 300 and 200 series forums also.

Colin.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 22:11   #2
Ben O Brien

Default RE: Is the B200E an interference engine?

Hi
I can confirm that the american 2.3A is a non interference engine.
It was in a 242(you may remember i asked this question in the forum a while back)
Anyway during the stripdown process i took out the engine thinking the piston rings were shot as the car was spurting oil when in fact it was the condensation clearing crap from inside the exhaust as a result of the car but thats another story...
where was I..oh yeah i took out the engine and had taken off the head and the pistons for a friend who teaches mechanics to tell me the bores and rings were perfect...so there i was with a spare 2.3 engine so i said ill put the pistons back in and the head on and turn it over slowly and see...
The bottom half kept turning over and would have kept on doing so if i hadnt got so bored of the repetitive process.Nevertheless not "doing" timing belt isnt recommended by me as i imagine the compression would make total s*&$e of you engine if id did break and have parts of the engine rotating with the spark plugs still in.

Also colin did you recieve the package i think not as i wrote out your address on a piece of paper which susequently got water damaged but i still sent it to that address..anywho i no longer need the carb tool so ill send it back to you along with a few quid,sorry for not getting back sooner but this was ages ago that i sent it and totally forgot until i saw this message.Mail me your address and ill send it by registered post this time make sure it gets there!!!

Also to all I have the opportunity of acquiring of as many volvo engines as i can poke a stick at from a local who does nissan diesel conversions on 240s for local farmers,so ill do this check on various other engines during the rebuilds.If anybody is looking for an engine let me know and ill see if hes got any,you(plural) can have it for nothing but be prepared to collect them in ireland.

Best Regards
Ben
82 242
82 244
89 245
91 245
96 850
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 00:55   #3
Colin Shepherd

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL188/...23744414.jpgHi

Ben,
The US market B 230s are certainly non-interference. But the more powerful European versions with higher compression and possibly more aggressive valve timing ( due to less strict emission regulations ) are still the subject of debate on this issue.
I think it is now proved that the Euro 2 litre versions both carb and injection ARE interference.
But the US never got these anyway, the only question remaining is whether the Euro versions of the 2.3 litre models are interference I would hate people to not worry about belt breakage and then have an expensive shock when it happened.
The Euro turbo versions are probably not, due to their inherently lower compression ratio.

No, I have not had anything through the post from you. I`ll e-mail you the address.

Colin.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 16:51   #4
ravennexus

when fitting the V cam (11.37mm lift) in my B230ET (9.0:1) with the engine at TDC i couldn't turn the cam to peak lift while checking shim clearance, ok when i backed the piston off a little.

they would only hit if say it went while a cam lobe was a at peak lift
ravennexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 19:08   #5
Colin Shepherd

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL188/...8/23744414.jpg

"they would only hit if say it went while a cam lobe was a at peak lift"

Yes, they will obviously will only hit at full lift and TDC.
The problem is that when the belt goes the driving and driven parts don`t stop instantly, especially the bottom end, and with eight valves, at least one or two will be open even if the cam stopped instantly.

It is good practice to always make sure the crank is backed off from TDC when turning the cam without the belt on ANY engine.

Thanks for the information.

Colin.

1990 740SE B200E/M47, remote C/Locking.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 20:28   #6
Beardy Rich

This question seems to be asked at frequent intervals doesn't it?
It would help greatly if we were given the full engine designation rather than just B230.
As I'm sure many of you will already know, there are many derivatives of this engine, namely B230K, B230A, B230E, B230F, B230FT.
There may be more - these are just off the top of my head.

The same goes for queries concerning ign and fuel systems. It would help enormously if those asking the questions were to give us the exact make/type of system fitted.

Going back to the B230E for instance, there is more than one type of fuel injection system fitted to this engine.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 10:55   #7
migrator
Aye - him again

I agree it would be good to always have all of the information - such as would be apparent to a mechanic/technician working hands on the vehicle. Some of the info is presented to the viewer on opening the bonnet - like the engine type lable normally stuck on the timing belt cover (hopefully with the addition of the last belt change date/mileage as supplied by a helpful mechanic/technician).

Other info such as ignition system designation, fuel injection system, alternator type, carb type etc are not so obvious to an inexperienced person seeking help here.

Refering to a 'Haynes' type manual does not always help either because of the variety of different fitments.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 18:37   #8
JOHN 850

Ben,

Very good offer of you over the spare engines. I'm wanting to put a 2.3 inj into my 360GLT as the clutch is going in it + the current engine always been crap in it! So it would be a good time to do it & I think one out of a 240GLT or 740 (but without the pulse air setup up) should do, but not being too tech. minded over injection systems etc, not sure which is the best. I would ideally like the B230f 16v, but too much needs changing for my liking!

The only other problem would be the collection, but we'll cross that bridge later !

Cheers,

John.

Previous : V90 RD, 360GLEi, V70TDI, V70 2.5D, 965, C70 T5 x3, 340 x2, 360GLT x4, P1800ES x3, 240 x3, 940 x2, S70 x3, 850 x3, S80, 480 x2, 120 x2, XC90 x2, V70 D5 x3
JOHN 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 18:55   #9
Ben O Brien

Hi
John,funny you mention it put im just after collecting a 2.3inj engine out of a 240 the other day complete with box and clutch, havent actually worked out which type of gearbox yet just havent had the time. I was going to stick it in the 244 ive advertised for sale but if you are interested let me know and well sort something out,Im in Limerick which is Southern Ireland.
There is a 16v for sale out of mikes(ravennexus) 242 but as you say too much work will be needed to fit it.
I am not sure of the miles but could check.Im sure the car it came out of is still around there somewhere.Well i imagine the 2.3inj is pretty punchy with a manual box as my 2.0inj has plenty of torque and i read somewhere the 2.3inj has 136 hp.Ill get the code off it but i sure its a B230 and two letters after that,its currently sitting in my dads warehouse so next time ill over ill check that out for you.

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:31   #10
JOHN 850

Ben,

Saw Mikes add.& did think about it, but he wants a lot more than I'm willing to pay, although the engine sounds like it's worth it ! I don't need the gearbox though, as the 300's have a transaxle. Will have a think over the complications of transport, but it maybe better for us to discuss it by email - I'm on jallam@supanet.com

Cheers,

John.

Previous : V90 RD, 360GLEi, V70TDI, V70 2.5D, 965, C70 T5 x3, 340 x2, 360GLT x4, P1800ES x3, 240 x3, 940 x2, S70 x3, 850 x3, S80, 480 x2, 120 x2, XC90 x2, V70 D5 x3
JOHN 850 is offline   Reply With Quote