Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 front hub bearings

Views : 1290

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 00:47   #1
John Davies
VOC Member

Default 240 front hub bearings

I have found that every 240 series car I have ever bought has needed front hub bearings, and those with wider wheels and tyres have needed them more frequently.

Sometimes the bearing has been turning on the stub axle and then my normal remedy has been to replace the stub axle or else the old fashioned trick of making four small dings with a centre punch (the metal is very hard so the dings are microscopic) and then seating the bearing as normal.

However, as I now have the problem again on my 'new' 240, I am thinking of doing something more technical such as using 'Stud and bearing lock' (Halfords) or 'Loctite stud and bearing fix'. Has anybody any views on this? Is the product robust enough to stand being used in this way, and if so is it a lasting repair? Is there a better product? Or should I just go and get the centre punch.......

Regards

John Davies
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:18   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default RE: 240 front hub bearings

It is funny how we can have different perceptions of things based on our own particular experiences. Until I read your post I would have been quite prepared to say 240 wheel bearings lasted forever!
I have owned or helped work on at least half a dozen 240s, and I have only once encountered one that needed anything doing, and that was tightening the adjustment one notch. Even the odd secondhand strut has come with perfect bearings.
My Torslanda has now done 292,000 miles, and I have never had to so much as adjust the bearings.
Is it perhaps the way you drive, or are you tightening the nut too much?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:53   #3
Beardy Rich

My experiences are similar to yours Clifford. I've had two 240's over the past 18 years and have only ever renewed the front wheel bearings once on each car.
Even when I was working at a Volvo dealership in the 90's, I cannot actually remember ever changing 240 front wheel bearings, they were certainly not an item requiring regular attention.

Something is obviously amiss if the bearings are turning on the stub axle. The bearings are a sliding fit on the stub axle but shouldn't turn on it if the bearings are properly adjusted.

Perhaps a clean and re-lube followed by correct readjustment will cure the problem?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 22:09   #4
vjck_uk
Premier member

I'd certainly echo what the guys said,I've never heard of or had any trouble with my bearings.
I would grease and adjust them properly (a lot of people tend to over tighten them).There should be just a little play at the wheel rim when adjusted or as they heat up a bit with running they will tighten.
With regards centre popping them I would think your centre punch would come off second best to a bearing race.
You could loctite them but not the outer or you can't adjust them any more.
Vaughan
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 22:26   #5
Martin Cox
VOC Member

In my 240 days, I changed two wheel bearings. One was on a car of very questionable service history where the inner bearing seized and the hub spun on the stub axle. A new bearing lasted the reamining life of the car.

The other was on my own car and one of the outer bearing hub surfaces became pitted so the bearing was rough and noisy. The bearings on the other front wheel ran for 200,000 miles.

Martin Cox

1994 440 SE 1.8
1998 V70 Tdi

Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 23:40   #6
John Davies
VOC Member

Well, thanks for that, fellas. I have obviously just been very unlucky in the past. 'The way I drive'- the very cheek of it!
As to centre popping, if you are ever tempted to try the dings go in the stub axle as the bearing is made of harder stuff! This is very much always a last resort as far as I am concerned though, although it was more common when I first started 30 years ago.

The car has obviously been running on this worn bearing for some time, and there have been attempts made to adjust, looking at the state of split pin and nut. The old bearings were going brown with the heat - the grease was black, thin and smelly. Yuk.

There was however no discernable wear to the stub axle, so have just cleaned everything up and changed the bearings and shells for now; if they go again I will probably just change the strut as I have one here with perfect bearings which I had forgotten about lurking at the back of my shed - I need to change the front shocks at some stage anyway.

Thanks for the shared wisdom.

John
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:36   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Sorry if I sounded cheeky John. It had to be said I think - some people DO corner their cars hard and bump up kerbs on full lock, but obviously not you!
As you say, it must just be a matter of luck really.
Good luck now, anyway.

Cheers,
Cliff
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote