Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1991 240 with starting problem

Views : 1965

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 20:19   #11
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: 1991 240 with starting problem, picture

The 'carb'in the picture is a fuel injection setup,oops.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 20:29   #12
Simon Kay

Yes, was my suspicion too (but obviously I'm not so hot these things :-(

I quote my owner's manual: "Motore a carburatore, con marmitta catalitica". In Italian, but easy enough to read "Engine with Carburetor, with catalyser exhaust", with matching diagram. There's an alternative "Motore a inienzione" (Injection), with a different diagram.

Anyway...

So what's maybe causing my problem? What should I look at to try and diagnose it? Is this tube across the top of any vital significance that maybe was the cause (was split just where it goes on the white filter (?) object)

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 20:43   #13
Colin Shepherd

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL188/...8/23744414.jpg

That`s not a carb, it`s electronic fuel injection.

The four yellow plastic parts are the injector bodies.

No doubt some one with more experience of these systems (mine is K Jetronic) will offer more specific advice on your problem.

It is almost certainly flooding, your extended tow start just cleared out the surplus fuel.

I`m sure the real experts will come up with suggestions as to the likely cause.

Colin.

1990 740SE B200E/M47, remote C/Locking.

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 22:09   #14
Ben O Brien

Hi
Just thought id suggest something,
I had a 91 245 with a B200F meaning it had a catalytic convertor and it had the exact same set up as your car in regards to the fuel injection system(different to that in my 245 with the B200E)

The day i bought the car it was sitting in the guys sloping driveway,nose pointing upwards and tail at bottom of the slope,
after a small bit of turning over it burst into life,i let it there to warm up a bit as it hadnt been started in months,
I jumped into the car to put it on the car transporter,just as i engaged gear it cut out,wouldnt start for love nor money,

Eventualy decided to push it onto the ramps of the car transporter and start it in gear to get it on,it worked although a bit of undue work to my starter,

Anyway the following morning it was in my yard and wouldnt start,after a few minutes it started then cut out soon afterwards,plenty of fuel in it,so i was determined,I changed plugs,air filter,distributor cap,coil still wouldnt start,
Then i thought of the fuel pump,whipped one out of the garage and put it on car burst into life,ran perfectly and still is running now to my knowledge(At a friends place now,swapped for 244)

My bet would be with the relay or the pump,the pump can be costly but this sounds so similar,

Hope this helps

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 18:48   #15
Simon Kay

Perfect, thanks, yes it was slightly nose up... fairly low on fuel. Sounds just the same problem. I'll give it a try when I get one and a chance, for the moment I'll just be careful parking it... Thanks!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 20:11   #16
Ben O Brien

One thing you could do if you are that way inclined is take out the pump and clean it thoroughly,then put it back on,
I know my dad this with our 89 245 B200E and it kept the problem at bay for a while,really just prolonging the inevitable replacment of the pump but we had to order one in and at the time needed the car.

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 16:15   #17
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Now we know it is fuel injection, there are more definite possibilities.
My point about NEVER starting the engine and stopping it again before it has warmed up is standard advice for fuel injection engines. Apart from flooding the engine and causing restart problems, it is bad for the catalytic converter.
The most likely other cause of flooding is a faulty pressure relief valve.

That is the circular alloy fitting on the front of the injector rail - ie the grey metal tube running along the top of the inlet manifold, with a sort of squiggly extension running backwards. There will be a small bore rubber pipe from the back of the PRV leading to the inlet manifold. Try disconnecting from the manifold and sniffing. If it reeks of petrol, there is your problem. The diaphram can start to leak, and this allows raw fuel to be sucked into the inlet.

I don't think you can dismantle the fuel pump - if it is like mine, and your injection set-up looks identical - then it is a sealed unit. A faulty pump is more likely to be a cause of fuel starvation in any case.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 20:51   #18
Simon Kay

OK, thanks also for this advice, I'll give both a go. BTW this is a 245 B200F, called Polar (actually this one a Super Polar) here in Italy it seems.

Thanks again to everyone for help and advice - when I get round to identifying the cause I'll post it.