Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 - Will I be buying a right pain in the ass?

Views : 2026

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 21:38   #1
Matt B

Default XC90 - Will I be buying a right pain in the ass?

Hi,
With the arrival of my 2nd child I am in need of a family wagon and was thinking of Touareg originally, but happened to test drive an XC90 on a 54 plate (geartronic) and loved it. I thought the whole car was class.
I did think the gear change on the auto box was a bit, err uncertain but it didn't stop me seriously considering the purchase.
Anyway, it sold before I had a chance to buy and TBH I was probably the architect of my own downfall cos after reading some of the threads on here I dithered on making the decision to buy.

So, please tell me, amongst all the problems listed on here, is it worth it or should I just buy the T'reg *runs and hides*?

Thanks

Matt
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 22:57   #2
NCS XC90

Matt, we are all individuals so will see the same situation differently. I also considered the T,reg but I prefer the look of the Volvo from the outside. I think the T,reg looks a bit fat around the middle (but as I say we will all see it different). I thin the T,reg inertia is nicer but the Volvo looks purposeful. My hart was always with the Volvo. The 7 seats whilst only ever going to be of occasional use to me was also a consideration. I guess the other factor was reliability – my farther had several Volvos without a problem all lasting a very long time without hassle.
I’m not sure I would have bought my car after reading many of the posts on here. Fortunately I bought it before reading the posts and have never looked back. If you are still interested I would take the information in these posts and use them to ensure you buy a good one.
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 23:04   #3
gillberry
VOC Member

Hi Matt , I like the look of the xc90 and with volvos renowned reliability am looking forward to buying a new one in a couple of months , however reading the forum is frightening until you realise people tend to go on forums to find out how to fix faults not to say how good there car is . Against that there is an interesting thread re xc90 serial numbers and when you think over 500,000 have been made then out of all those there must be a percentage with faults . how the dealers deal with these faults can quite often make matters worse but as with everything there is good and bad . I'm still getting an xc90 though .
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 23:43   #4
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Hands up the one I bought has been a shed from within the 1st month and I've had to take some extreme steps to try and get it rectified due to VCUK management's apathy toward doing anything constructive to resolving the issues! BUT!!! The loan car I have just now (mine has been at the local dealers for over a week now without any word as yet to when its coming back) is great to drive. A totally different car altogether and I look forward to getting into it whereas I hate getting into mine wondering what todays problem will be. Would I buy another though!! NEVER!!! This whole episode has been an eye opener for me and the constant phrase "theres no fault codes showing so there isnt anything wrong" is wearing a bit thin now especially when you think back to the ETM problem in the not too distant past. A shame after 5 Volvos in the family from an R reg t4 to the xc90 but if I treated my customers the way Ive been then I would expect to lose customers hand over fist. A sad but true fact especially after the rest were all excellent but then I guess its all profits and margins now!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 00:06   #5
Matt B

Cheers for the replies guys.
I know the score with forums as I am a member of the TTOC and have over 1000 posts on the TTforum (please no hairdresser gags), I bought my TT before discovering the forum and I am pretty sure some of the problems with dashpods, snapping coil springs, coilpacks etc may have put me off at the time too. But that is 9 yrs old with 113k on the clock and I love it to bits.

Like I said, despite all the bad things I read I still really want one
And after driving one I now find myself checking out the ones I see on the road!

Can anyone tell me if all the geartronic boxes are a bit floaty with the gear change? or did it improve with the 185 version?
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:19   #6
pdr944

dont forget most of the posts are from people who have some sort of fault and are looking for advice.they represent a very small percentage of xc90 owners.you dont get many posts saying "just thought i,d let you know all is well".the xc90 is a very good vehicle.its as good as any and better than most.if you can find a vehicle that never has any faults then let me know and i will buy one.we are all in the lap of the gods with cars.

mind ow ya go.

peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 10:04   #7
Frank

Smile

Matt
I bought my 2005 XC 90 about 18 months ago because I liked the looks, size, seats etc. I did not check out this or any other forum before buying but did look at press reviews etc. I do lots of long distance motorway driving for work, thousands of miles towing a caravan and use it for carting grand kids on regular basis. Overall it does a great job and I have no major complaints.

Rear wheel bearings went at just over 3 years old but were done under warranty by helpful independent who sorted it with main dealer. It is the 163BHP and I have no complaints about the geartronic box. It works fine for my type of driving.

I cannot help with the comparison with VW but would recommend the XC90 for its flexibility and looks. Sadly some owners have had a bad experience but I expect there are many others like me that are happy with it.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 16:18   #8
Lzygo
xc90

Thumbs up

Best car I have ever owned - head and shoulders above my old bmw. The new geartronic in the 2009 is smooth as anything. Go buy it you wont be let down!!! Also so great deals to be had - I saved nearly a third on my new xc90.
Lzygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 16:57   #9
gillberry
VOC Member

Lzygo how did you get nearly a third off best I've seen so far is £5500 off .
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2009, 17:15   #10
Lzygo
xc90

I started with a quote from orangewheels and then started playing one garage/dealer off against another.

I knew exactly which model / colour / extras I wanted. I was not desperate (well as far as they were concerned anyway) they were to sell a car. The list price including all the extras I had - geartronic / winter pack / active headlights / colour / towbar / large wheels / even got 3 years service thrown in!! came to £37k - I paid £28k

It was a better than trade deal as I understand - the deals are out there if you can play a poker face.
Lzygo is offline   Reply With Quote