Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel - Supermarket or Branded?

Views : 8008

Replies : 94

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Fuel - Supermarket or Branded?
Branded 52 44.07%
Supermarket 44 37.29%
Whatever I Get to First 22 18.64%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 9th, 2021, 14:21   #41
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
You've misunderstood, it says they have to be fitted from 2009, that does not mean they can't be fitted before then ;)

Absolutely Correct. If your Volvo D5 engine is a Euro 4 ( around 2006 onwards ) it WILL HAVE a DPF and Swirl flaps.

My 2006 Volvo S60 Euro 4 D5 185 was first registered on the 1st March 2006 and had a DPF plus swirl flaps.

The reg was OY06FFH if anyone wants to check that out.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 15:49   #42
Bashy
Aged Member

I think mine was Nov 06 and deffo has the swirlies too, ive twiddled with it
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 21:35   #43
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

Cherry all the way
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 23:36   #44
Davebbass

I used to find that diesels were more sensitive to the fuel I put in them. Especially the newer ones, so I started running them on branded fuel, though I'm self employed and have a fuel card for both Shell and BP, so I've always had Shell diesel as it came in a tiny tiny amount more than supermarket diesel. Cars always ran really well for it, put a couple of tanks of supermarket through my "old" 2012 Avensis I had back in 2016 out of curiosity, and noticed a drop in performance and economy.

As for the V60 I've got now which is petrol, I fill up at the supermarket and it seems absolutely fine with it. Got a friend who used to work for Shell and he drives an Aston Martin DB7 GT... he knows the mechanics of it inside out, and runs it on Tesco Momentum. If it's good enough for an Aston...
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 07:23   #45
Briggo

Quote:
If it's good enough for an Aston...
Thats because the quality of fuel between supermarket and branded is the same, it has to be sold to the same minimum quality.

The difference is additives etc.

This discussion has been had on many forums over many years, you'll always get those who swear blind branded fuel is far superior and others who don't. Maybe its down to the cars themselves, maybe its a placebo effect.
Briggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Briggo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 07:56   #46
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I've always just used bog standard diesel from whatever outlet was available ( usually Tesco ) and have never had an issue.

Out of curiosity, a few years back , as a result of a similar thread, I ran with three tanks of the expensive diesel back to back to give it a fair chance and honestly couldn't tell any difference in the way the car performed.

Down to whatever makes you happy i suppose.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 09:03   #47
Cull06
Master Member

I had the then new RS Focus between 2017-2019 which as one would imagine was highly tuned to get 350 bhp out of a 4 pot. Fantastic car, but it was interesting how it would respond to different fuels.

Shell V Power would definitely have a smoother transition between gears. Whereas Tesco Momentum (both 99 RON) would feel more jumpy in the change but with a more ‘explosive’ surge in acceleration feel to it. If that makes sense.

Someone who knows more about this than me told me at the time it was because of different alcohol contents or something. But there was definitely a noticeable difference there.

On the current car however, I haven’t been able to distinguish a difference between V Power and Momentum. Either because the ingredients have since become more similar or the Volvo engine simply works the same with both. So I try to use Momentum when I can as it’s cheaper!

I haven’t got around to compare 95 Ron vs 99 Ron in the current car. But as the advice from Volvo is to use the higher Ron and the engine is still a highly tuned engine again as a 4 pot pushing an suv with a supercharger and turbo on it; I’ll just stick with the 99. Though tbh I seem to be burning most of it through the aux heater these days...!
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 22:33   #48
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie34 View Post
DPFs were introduced in 2009.
Are you sure about that ? My previous 2004 BMW 530d had a DPF as did the 2006 320d I owned after. I also had a 2007 SAAB 9-5 TiD with a DPF and they were introduced to that range in late 2005.
2018 VW Golf R DSG

Last edited by Auto Addict; Feb 10th, 2021 at 22:45.
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auto Addict For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 03:30   #49
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
On the current car however, I haven’t been able to distinguish a difference between V Power and Momentum. Either because the ingredients have since become more similar or the Volvo engine simply works the same with both. So I try to use Momentum when I can as it’s cheaper!
The ECU is probably just tuned more conservatively ... the RS was probably on the brink of exploding all-day-every-day. You're probably using a tad more fuel with the cheaper stuff, but the variations in driving from day to day are probably large enough you'd not really notice.

Those RS engines are time bombs, a workmate has one & it died at about 12 months, spun a main bearing (officially oil starvation at that point - he had someone look at it 'cos the dealer were blaming my workmate and refusing to honour warranty) & the only thing anyone can find that might POSSIBLY have caused it is the dealer having put Mustang Turbo oil in it (it's something like 0W-30 vs 5W-30 or some-such) ... that's living on the edge, if that amount of difference spun a bearing ...
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 16:24   #50
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie34 View Post
DPFs were introduced in 2009.
That's incorrect, for Volvo anyway.

DPF's were introduced in Volvo's with the euro 4 engine in 2006 & have been used since.

If your car has an older euro 3 engine (pre 2005), then it doesn't have a DPF.

Basically if your car is 2006 or newer, then it'll have a DPF.