Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Many woes - Am I Unlucky or is this Common?

Views : 7775

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:13   #21
Spike1918
Looney

Poorly adjusted or ill fitting mechanism, needs the door trim off and a COMPETANT fitter to adjust it.

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:51   #22
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1918 View Post
Poorly adjusted or ill fitting mechanism, needs the door trim off and a COMPETANT fitter to adjust it.
Thought as much, I wasnt going to do it untill I wanted to upgrade the speakers in the car but my mate works at Volvo so can probs do it in an hour or less? I'll give him a shout and see when he can have a look.

Thanks

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 04:31   #23
Wooders

I was starting to wonder the same about my 55 S40 2TD
It is fast becoming the most unreliable car i have ever owned,and i have owned drum braked old mini's in the past!!

In just over 2 years and with now 65k on the clock (30k i have done) i have had:-

3 Wheel bearings,
1 Alternator,
1 brake pad come unstuck and jam in the back wheel,(replaced all discs and pads with EBC)
1 Throttle pedal
1 Set of spill pipes,seals and clips,
4 months of 'limp home' which eventually was traced to wiring fault.

I had a 306 TD,did 130k miles in it and it never ever missed a beat(and its still going as a mate bought it) ,got a volvo because of the reputation for being reliable!!

Saying that though,when everything IS running right,its a great car
(Although i still hate elec steering)

So with 70k now approaching,what should i expect next???
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 04:59   #24
Spike1918
Looney

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike1918 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 10:38   #25
cramhurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders View Post
So with 70k now approaching,what should i expect next???
Well if it's like mine, you've done the alternator so next should be the ECM or the DMF!

Next for mine will be a trade in for a Golf GTI!
cramhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 14:53   #26
Volvo6
Master Member

V50 2.0D, 78K, 08 plate, always main dealer serviced and maintained regardless of cost:

New starter motor

New clutch master cylinder

Repeated brake warping issues

I love the V50 but I do not believe it lives up to Volvo's supposed reputation for reliability. It is average at best. Compared to the older Volvos it seems that the ancillary components are just not as good and as a consequence need replacing. Faults like electric windows are also just silly...I mean how hard can it be to design a reliable system?

While the old 850/1st V70 was not perfect (we own two), one is on 102k the other 140k and they are both on pretty much all their original ancillary bits. Only major issue has been with the ETM on the younger one.

I sometimes wonder whether in this age of DPFs and dual mass fly wheels etc along with the inevitable rise in complexity cars are getting less reliable.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 22:38   #27
Wooders

lol,cheers spike.

Volvo told me my 'limp home' was an ECM fault as thats what the computer said.
Took it to Volvomax near glasgow who checked the connections and turned out it wasnt.So how many ECM's have been replaced when not a fault???
Wooders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:47   #28
getcarter1972

i bought my 04 v50 2.4 petrol 2 months ago - so far have corrected the sunroof drain leaky thing, new discs and pads, replaced all the lighjts/bulbs, now trying to get to the bottom of a non working stereo system. oh, i had a broken front coil as well, and a broken front foglight which have all been replaced.

totally LOVE the car - wouldnt part with her for all tyhe tea in china. shes nowhere near perfect - but neither am I.

she is at 110k miles btw.
getcarter1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:13   #29
the fonz 1972

hi ive had my 08 v50 done 57000miles for about four weeks now and its been in the garage 4 times already. 2 for the air con not working properly been re gased 3 times in the last year still doesnt work properly now although the dealer says its fine! and also twice for a miss fireing problem between 1000 and 2000 revs, they replaced the fuel filter on joy, now the main dealer says they cant make it do the problem although it happens to me all the time, so there only solution was to give it a software update at £78 and has made no differance. thats all apart from it rattleing and squeaking like a french car and the outside temprature always showing about -5!!! only got about another 6weeks or warranty left if its not sorted by then then its going. i really thought buying a volvo would be some good quality care free driving, instead its full of whens it going to go into limp mode.!!!!!
the fonz 1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 16:30   #30
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fonz 1972 View Post
hi ive had my 08 v50 done 57000miles for about four weeks now and its been in the garage 4 times already. 2 for the air con not working properly been re gased 3 times in the last year still doesnt work properly now although the dealer says its fine! and also twice for a miss fireing problem between 1000 and 2000 revs, they replaced the fuel filter on joy, now the main dealer says they cant make it do the problem although it happens to me all the time, so there only solution was to give it a software update at £78 and has made no differance. thats all apart from it rattleing and squeaking like a french car and the outside temprature always showing about -5!!! only got about another 6weeks or warranty left if its not sorted by then then its going. i really thought buying a volvo would be some good quality care free driving, instead its full of whens it going to go into limp mode.!!!!!
Your aircon is not working properly because of the ambient temp gauge fault.
Take it back and demand for this to be fixed (probably needs the updated gold plated terminal door loom) and your heating will work properly (I pressume it blows out warm air instead of cold).
This may also have an effect on the missfire, as some believe fueling is affected by the ambient temp sensor. I can't say for sure if it is, but my car went in for the ambient temp gauge to be fixed, and while it was at the dealers they informed me of a missfire on idle, but didn't get any fault codes so wasn't sure why. After the fix the missfire doesn't seem to be there, and average fuel consumption figure on my trip computer has increased since.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote