Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Offical IPod adapter on a 2005 V50

Views : 21958

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2010, 14:36   #1
Deadlyhifi

Default Offical IPod adapter on a 2005 V50

Hi,

I was looking to get an Ipod adapter added to my performance Stereo (the one with the 6 CD changer) from Volvo direct but they said they can't do that on a 2005 V50.

Is this true?

If it is I'll look to get one from elsewhere and fit myself, but I just thought it was a bit strange, considering there can't be that much to it? Not that I am any kind of expert!

Thanks!

Sam
Deadlyhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 15:38   #2
LeBon

i had a similar issue with my 2006 C70, which has the premium sound with 6 cd and the volvo usb Ipod adapter is only for 08 models on

ended up getting one of these which works a treat at a fraction of the price

although you can't control the ipod from the headunit it still charges it and shows track names,artist etc on the head unit display, it suits me fine

http://www.incaripod.com/Vehicle/Vol...DS_FM_iPod_Kit
LeBon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LeBon For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 15:56   #3
Deadlyhifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
i had a similar issue with my 2006 C70, which has the premium sound with 6 cd and the volvo usb Ipod adapter is only for 08 models on

ended up getting one of these which works a treat at a fraction of the price

although you can't control the ipod from the headunit it still charges it and shows track names,artist etc on the head unit display, it suits me fine

http://www.incaripod.com/Vehicle/Vol...DS_FM_iPod_Kit
Thanks very much! I'll try that out...
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 20:25   #4
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Im not sure if this would work in the S40/V50 as it uses fibre optic signals from the amplifier to the head unit (no analogue connection in the radipo). Maybe an inline connection into the amp may work unless Lebon can explain how it was installed

Another few ways which look to be ideal for me are the IO Play and the Parrot MKi9200 both of which allow you to connect your phone as well and stream music via bluethooth or i nthe parrots case bluetooth, hardwired or usb memory card connection. The display even shows the album artwork I believe!
See Nunfas post and Guru also is pretty clued up on this

Jon
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 07:26   #5
stu k

Gents, it can be done!

The premium stereo has Fakra aerial connections (double aerials!),you can get a double fakra to ISO lead that the FM ipod thingy will plug in to , then a ISO to Fakra lead back to the stereo.

I used a VW lead on the aerial side with a spot of doctoring, and 2 single fakra leads on the stereo side, again with a little adjustment to the plugs.

FYI - the fakra connections are the round sort, not the square.

Clear as mud eh?

Stu
stu k is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stu k For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:03   #6
LeBon

i paid someone to install mine (£40 about 1 hour to do) and he just spliced into the volvo aeriel lead and fabricated a connection, although you can get adaptors too - any car audio installer will be able to do this job easily

sound quality is crystal clear through FM preset, other FM/AM stereo channels and CD still work fine

looked at the Parrot but that would only work through front 2 speakers, so went for the FM modulator route as I have the premium sound and didn't want to bypass the amp/surround sound quality

for the price the DICE is v.good and the newer version looks even better
LeBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 20:30   #7
Deadlyhifi

So many options! Guess I want the best soud quality as easy as possible... I'm not the greatest with electrics
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 22:50   #8
Nunfa1

The DICE does look a good unit but for the same money you can get the IOplay which also doubles as a hands free phone kit which suits me as I don't have an ipod, my music will be streamed over bluetooth from my mobile phone.
It does go to show that there is an option out there for everyone.
Nunfa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:19   #9
Jonnieb2009
Master Member

Heres one for you, the Parrot apparently will charge ipod but will it charge the latest Applie Ipod Nano 5th gen?? I know the parrot compatability chart shows its compatable but I dont know if it will charge the ipod when plugged in. The problem is I want to charge and play but the ipod plays via a bluetooth dongle so you cant charge it at the same time. Plugging it in will solve this but only if it will charge as well as play through the hard wired lead

Jon
Jonnieb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 08:41   #10
Deadlyhifi

Smile

Think I'll go for the DICE then. Looks to be te safest/easiest bet...