Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160100

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2019, 11:21   #1561
MikeIOW
Premier Member

New Year, old thread resurrection!
I suspect Arianne has moved on, but obviously I’m curious to hear what he is driving in today: if you are about, do drop in and tell us, I miss the thread updates!

As for me: extended the warranty and still cruising happily in Stormy....still super comfy, still loving it!

However, we are changing one car this year....

We finally decided we no longer need two big cars, & since the “family SMax” is even older, we’re leaping into the future of electric vehicles with an order placed in October for the very capable Hyundai Kona EV, a baby brother for Stormy

It appears to have a reliable 250+ mile range from it’s 64kW battery, zippy performance, heated/cooled seats and steering wheel, techie heaven with adaptive cruise and lane keeping to make for relaxed driving: most reviews suggest it looks like a leap forward (but without the Tesla price tag!).

Few dealers have any to see, but a friendly SpeakEV forum owner dropped past and gave me a decent run in it: fella has over 15,000 miles on it since September (!) & absolutely loves it. His fourth EV, and first with zero issues to date, so promising!
https://youtu.be/rsmejiWvRPk is a decent review, but there are lots on YouTube.

For properly long journeys, we still have Stormy (off en famille skiing in March again!), but I suspect that within a year, most of our motoring will be in Sparky....yes, not a mass of space in the back or boot, but with ‘the kids’ finding their way in the world, we have less need for it. Still has a higher seating position than a small car, think “mini-SUV”, which I like.

We have solar PV, and a Zappi chargepoint can divert energy not being used by the house to the car for properly free fuel. Okay, that won’t be a massive amount - about zero through winter! - but handy...plus I suspect all our charging should be possible on home tariffs: the UK charging infrastructure remains....a little fragmented, I would say. I look forward to not having to fill up at a petrol station again!

Massive waiting list....but we hope to get Sparky around the April-May timeframe....down from the original estimate of August, but still some way off.

Anyway: happy new year all, happy motoring! If anyone might be interested in a 2013 SMax in a few months, drop me a message before we part-ex it!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 17:24   #1562
I-S
Premier Member

EVs are a massive step forward - even my humble Leaf is a major step forward over ICE cars.

I'm sure the Kona EV driver you're describing must be Stageshoot.

See you on SpeakEV!
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 13:20   #1563
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Closing off the loose ends.....

Apologies for ‘going missing in action’ folks.

Silly really but I have a bit of a conscience about checking-out with stuff flapping around in the wind back in early-2018. I was exhausted with the whole thing and, having got a resolution on our Range Rover Velar, logged off of all social media sites and became a hermit!

So I’ve chosen to wrap up the ending so I can leave the forum knowing I have done the right thing by forum members. I have been a member since 2006. First with our XC90 and then, from 2014, with our XC60.

I’ve enjoyed the banter, advice and help from other forum members so this is me just wrapping up everything for the record. It was a loooong thread, some folk were interested and others were not.

If you were one of those who followed this thread at the time then here’s the ending. If you were / are not and you are somewhat bewildered as to why, after all this time, some guy who owns a Velar has popped up on your Volvo XC60 forum.......... sorry to have wasted your time.

Here’s the link: https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2953

Best wishes, Arianne
Old Jan 11th, 2021, 17:04   #1564
Rocinante
Master Member

For anyone following this thread, and interested in a further follow up, see link below for a further review of the Velar at 3.25 years/40,000 miles, and a road trip to NW Scotland.

https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3522
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 01:03   #1565
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Good report, but lacks, Arianne needs to ditch google/JLR-nav and move to Waze: so much better!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 22:34   #1566
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Happy 2021 to everyone from the Velar forum!

Evening folks.

Arianne here, having received a PM from MikeIOW explaining that some bright spark has hyperlinked across to the Velar forum!

The latest thread over there includes a library image of our beautiful R-design XC60 while on the Isle of Skye.

Missing the Volvo forum which is a far more lively and fun place. Funny how these forums differ. But loving our Velar. Which seems fair - the Gods of Motoring have chosen to be kind to us at long last.

Best wishes, Arianne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 251CECC8-3445-4081-9CA0-44D378745E2D.jpg (114.4 KB, 22 views)
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 11:54   #1567
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Evening folks.

Arianne here, having received a PM from MikeIOW explaining that some bright spark has hyperlinked across to the Velar forum!
Hope I didn't do anything inappropriate, apologies if so, I just thought some might be interested, as the cross posts had been posted before. (When I'm reading "bright spark", I'm not reading it as a compliment).
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 15:08   #1568
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Hope I didn't do anything inappropriate, apologies if so, I just thought some might be interested, as the cross posts had been posted before. (When I'm reading "bright spark", I'm not reading it as a compliment).
My apologies Rocinante. I meant ‘bright spark’ to infer someone with a creative mind that chose to link two elements together to create something superior for folk. Such is the written word, fraught with the risk of misunderstandings.

The posts are in the public domain. If folk take offence then the authors should not be posting publicly. You have every right to make the links and I have no objection whatsoever - quite flattered really.

Best wishes to you and everyone else on this forum.

Arianne

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan