Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pilot Assist vs Petulant Teenager

Views : 1829

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2019, 18:32   #1
Zebra
Chief of Staff

Question Pilot Assist vs Petulant Teenager

So I love my car but I do find pilot assist is a bit annoying. The adaptive cruise control is great but the steering bit is frustrating.

It gently fights you to be a little too left in the lane in my opinion. So I relax, let it make the decisions and then it either tries to drive of the road or across the middle of the road. That or it just gives up despite there being visible white lines either side.

Now I accept that I do try to use it on single carriageway 'A' roads but my question is:

Is Pilot Assist worse in its behaviour than a petulant teenager who claims to know best and then makes all the mistakes we made as teenagers?

(And yes my software was all updated in January when the catalytic converter gave up!)

V40 D2 R-Design Nav Plus MY2017, 18" wheels, winter pack.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 19:22   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I experience much the same and have read of others. Someone did suggest that there is some calibration possible, might be worth asking a dealer. To be honest its a feature without much purpose, though I find it helpful in slow moving queues on the motorway! I suspect on long sweeping highways in the USA it may be more useful.
On the lane assist, by the way, don't know how you find that but most people turn if off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 20:52   #3
gaby
Premier Member

I like LKA.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 22:33   #4
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
So I love my car but I do find pilot assist is a bit annoying. The adaptive cruise control is great but the steering bit is frustrating.

It gently fights you to be a little too left in the lane in my opinion. So I relax, let it make the decisions and then it either tries to drive of the road or across the middle of the road. That or it just gives up despite there being visible white lines either side.

Now I accept that I do try to use it on single carriageway 'A' roads but my question is:

Is Pilot Assist worse in its behaviour than a petulant teenager who claims to know best and then makes all the mistakes we made as teenagers?

(And yes my software was all updated in January when the catalytic converter gave up!)
Its easy. Don't use or continue to attempt to use it where it is inappropriate to use. It's only really for use on good straight A roads, but I don't, and dual carriageways and motorways.

Most of the time you should use adaptive cruise control without pilot assist. If the roads are bendy and there are no cars in front, don't even use cruise control.

All these systems are for driver assistance where appropriate, not universal driving aids or driver substitutes. Yes, it does drive too far to the left for my liking as well but you get used to pilot assist and learn not to fight it unless you feel you are too near to some big thing that you are overtaking.

Last edited by Quacker; Feb 17th, 2019 at 22:35.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 00:55   #5
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wildsmith View Post
I experience much the same and have read of others. Someone did suggest that there is some calibration possible, might be worth asking a dealer. To be honest its a feature without much purpose, though I find it helpful in slow moving queues on the motorway! I suspect on long sweeping highways in the USA it may be more useful.
On the lane assist, by the way, don't know how you find that but most people turn if off.

You said it all. I subscribe it 100 %. That is why i didn't order my car with that nonsense of adaptive cruise control/pilot assist and that is also why i turned off lane assist a loooooooong time ago.

You see... i'm kinda old fashioned guy... i like to drive. Not to be driven 😉

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Feb 18th, 2019 at 01:05.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 05:15   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I had a XC60 loaner for 5 days and found the adaptive cruise control and pilot assist to be brilliant.

Worked really well on a busy motorway, but of course it requires good lane markings

The adaptive cruise control also worked brilliantly in country roads following a truck, and held m perfectly to the speed of the truck, right down to a full stop.

Of course these systems have their weaknesses, as does normal cruise control, and also human driving.

Important is to use them as they are intended to be used, and in the right sort of environment.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 07:43   #7
gaby
Premier Member

I didn't really like cruise control, but with the adaptive function added, it is completely different.
This is no nonsense feature to me, rather a safety feature.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 07:53   #8
mr rusty

I do a lot of motorway miles and find PA works well, but you do have to let it go without fighting it. I occasionally find when the armco is close to the outside of a bend that it seems to go a little wide as if it's seeing the armco as the edge and not the white line, but apart from that I find it reliable.

I am surprised how good it is and how well it picks up the lane markings even in rain and bright sun.

I actually wish the period before steering input required would be a bit longer. I would also like a bit better warning when it loses guidance rather than the green wheel just disappearing, but perhaps that's to keep you aware.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 10:46   #9
MaDProFF
Master Member

I think PA is being over sold in todays format, people expect too much from it.

In time it will be great, but not for a while.

Quite frankly I have used it once, and found I had to concentrate more than not using it, I guess at slow motorways speeds in traffic it might be of use, but then it is not exactly hard to drive normally in those situations anyhow.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 11:10   #10
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I think PA is being over sold in todays format, people expect too much from it.

In time it will be great, but not for a while.

Quite frankly I have used it once, and found I had to concentrate more than not using it, I guess at slow motorways speeds in traffic it might be of use, but then it is not exactly hard to drive normally in those situations anyhow.
Most people, myself included, think its great and use it whenever it is appropriate to do so. You really do need to try it in far more conditions so that you instinctively know when to use it and when not to.

Adaptive cruise control can be used independently of pilot assist of course and is far more useful on A roads in a queue of traffic. Not really suitable when there is nothing in front of you though on twisty roads, because it then behaves just like ordinary cruise control.

Tags
cruise control