Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Consumption XC60 D5 and D3

Views : 28713

Replies : 177

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2013, 06:32   #171
Crockers
Premier Member

I think the problem is that the manufacturer publishes 44 mpg combined and when you get 75% if that its annoying. But its not just Volvo. LR evoque drinks diesel like its going out if fashion but they're still flying out the showrooms. I'm hoping that mine will improve towards 38 but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 09:06   #172
844PHW
Master Member

There are so many variables in determining MPG, it is not always easy to compare notes in a useful manner. I find on longer (motorway) journeys my D3 can get up to 40 and even 42mpg, but on a mix of shorter journeys this can drop to 38 and as low as 36.

There is a long straight hill on the A27 eastwards from the Brighton roundabout which is one of the few places I like to put my foot down and blast away. However, it does show what a dire result a heavy foot can have on the instantaneous MPG!
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 17:56   #173
bluesnappa

Just driven 170 miles to collect caravan. MPG going 38, MPG returning with van 22. Sticking to 60-70 mph both ways. So 4.5 gallons on the way and 7.7g on the return. That's 14.5 litres more on way home @ 142p/l = £20.59 more.
bluesnappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 22:08   #174
Crockers
Premier Member

Add on the cost of the caravan. Better off with a tent. Lol.

Or a hotel
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 09:19   #175
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Add on the cost of the caravan. Better off with a tent. Lol.

Or a hotel
Plus the cost of camp site fees......... I wonder whether many caravanners have calculated what their 2 weeks of 'shed dragging' actually cost them!

To be serious though, you must need to get an awful lot of use out of a caravan each year to justify the costs against say renting a cottage or staying in B&B's. I go camping a couple of weekends a year and lately have found that it's also not so easy to just decide to pack up and go away for the weekend as a lot of campsites have to be booked well in advance - particularly during the school holidays.
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 13:38   #176
Crockers
Premier Member

Add to that the tailbacks caused, the extra fuel everyone burns trying to race by them. The number that get flipped over. The extra cost to the emergency services. The blocked motorways therefrom. The then lost man hours to the nation.

Old Aug 14th, 2013, 18:08   #177
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Add to that the tailbacks caused, the extra fuel everyone burns trying to race by them. The number that get flipped over. The extra cost to the emergency services. The blocked motorways therefrom. The then lost man hours to the nation.

I guess you watch Top Gear then! :-)
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 22:43   #178
Crockers
Premier Member

Im the script writer..lol