Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remap by custom tuning Bradford review

Views : 7120

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2013, 00:26   #1
leesh00

Default Remap by custom tuning Bradford review

So would just like to share my experience with a remap/tuning company - custom tuning in Bradford, west yorkshire.

These comments are purely based on my own recent and painful experience with company and will hopefully give some reference to people in the future.

After calling custom tuning I was told that they could remap the car by inserting a k-line into the ecu whilst in situ, when I arrived there they said that they had made a mistake and they would have to remove the ecu from the car to carry out the remap.

After about 1 1/2 hours they had put the ecu back in the car and taken it for a test drive.

As the car was booted up the road I heard the car misfire and thought something didn't seem right.

The guy returned and said 'Yeah, that's fine, I just need to take payment', believing that these guys were proffesionals, I went along with it and paid the fee.

As soon as I started the car I noticed the engine light on, I put my foot down for about a hundred yards and something didn't feel right. I had my scanner on me and it showed a ecu communication error, I cleared the code and tried the car again.

Giving it wot, when the car reached about 4000rpm it dropped boost and turned the engine in the programme light back on, making the same sound as when I heard the 'tuner' test drive the car.

I took it straight back and told them, one of the other 'tuners' took a drive and returned to say 'yeah,something isn't right'.... NO ****~!

They took the ecu back out and after about 15 minutes told me that there was a check sum error in the map??

Another hour or so passed and then they fitted the ecu back to the car and test drove again.

Again as the car was booted out of the yard (and hearing it thrashed around the block when I couldn't see it) I heard a misfire or something unusual. One of the 'tuners' was stood next to me and I mentioned this to him. to which he replied 'well it will do that when it;s redined'.........REALLY????

The 'tuner' returned and said 'definately nothing wrong with that now, its quick!' passed me the keys and apologised for the inconvieniance.

As I was pulling away the roller doors were shutting as it was about 6.15pm, I gave it a boot and it seemed ok.

Then as I got further down the road and under normal driving conditions, I began to experience surging at part throttle as detailed in my other thread http://forums.t5d5.o...em-after-remap/
and so it begins!!

I spoke to them the next day and they told me to bring it in the day after. When I got there they had it on their rolling road and borrowed a volvo diag from another garage close by. They said they couldnt understand what was going on but there was a fault stored for a intermittant tps fault and I should get this sorted as ' As you know tuning makes things better, but can put extra stress on some parts' and to look at the pedal position sensor, then get back to them if the problem persists.

The 'tuner' did say that he would speak to some people to see if they could come up with any reason as to why the car was behaving how it was apart from the potential tps fault.

Over the next week or so while I was trying to locate and fit a new etm, I tried several times to get in touch with this guy, just to see if he had come up with any new info, that might spare me the expense of getting a replacement etm. Despite getting through to someone on the other end I was either told - He's out on a job, He's at a funeral, call back at this time or leave your number - I never did get to speak to him and so carried on with their original recommendations

I changed all of these things AND more and still no change.

Where I am now is 3 days down the line from incurring all this time,effort and expense, I am having trouble getting through to anyone that can help me. The people I need to speak to are never there and despite leaving my number I've not had a call back. To make things worse, the last half dozen times I have called today, nobody is even answering the phone like, they have calller id and are ignoring the call.

Anyway that's where I am up to present and will update as to where it finishes up, but regardless of what happens from here, from this experience I would recommend people to think long and hard before using this remap company - custom tuning Bradford.
leesh00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 22:32   #2
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesh00 View Post
So would just like to share my experience with a remap/tuning company - custom tuning in Bradford, west yorkshire.

These comments are purely based on my own recent and painful experience with company and will hopefully give some reference to people in the future.

After calling custom tuning I was told that they could remap the car by inserting a k-line into the ecu whilst in situ, when I arrived there they said that they had made a mistake and they would have to remove the ecu from the car to carry out the remap.

After about 1 1/2 hours they had put the ecu back in the car and taken it for a test drive.

As the car was booted up the road I heard the car misfire and thought something didn't seem right.

The guy returned and said 'Yeah, that's fine, I just need to take payment', believing that these guys were proffesionals, I went along with it and paid the fee.

As soon as I started the car I noticed the engine light on, I put my foot down for about a hundred yards and something didn't feel right. I had my scanner on me and it showed a ecu communication error, I cleared the code and tried the car again.

Giving it wot, when the car reached about 4000rpm it dropped boost and turned the engine in the programme light back on, making the same sound as when I heard the 'tuner' test drive the car.

I took it straight back and told them, one of the other 'tuners' took a drive and returned to say 'yeah,something isn't right'.... NO ****~!

They took the ecu back out and after about 15 minutes told me that there was a check sum error in the map??

Another hour or so passed and then they fitted the ecu back to the car and test drove again.

Again as the car was booted out of the yard (and hearing it thrashed around the block when I couldn't see it) I heard a misfire or something unusual. One of the 'tuners' was stood next to me and I mentioned this to him. to which he replied 'well it will do that when it;s redined'.........REALLY????

The 'tuner' returned and said 'definately nothing wrong with that now, its quick!' passed me the keys and apologised for the inconvieniance.

As I was pulling away the roller doors were shutting as it was about 6.15pm, I gave it a boot and it seemed ok.

Then as I got further down the road and under normal driving conditions, I began to experience surging at part throttle as detailed in my other thread http://forums.t5d5.o...em-after-remap/
and so it begins!!

I spoke to them the next day and they told me to bring it in the day after. When I got there they had it on their rolling road and borrowed a volvo diag from another garage close by. They said they couldnt understand what was going on but there was a fault stored for a intermittant tps fault and I should get this sorted as ' As you know tuning makes things better, but can put extra stress on some parts' and to look at the pedal position sensor, then get back to them if the problem persists.

The 'tuner' did say that he would speak to some people to see if they could come up with any reason as to why the car was behaving how it was apart from the potential tps fault.

Over the next week or so while I was trying to locate and fit a new etm, I tried several times to get in touch with this guy, just to see if he had come up with any new info, that might spare me the expense of getting a replacement etm. Despite getting through to someone on the other end I was either told - He's out on a job, He's at a funeral, call back at this time or leave your number - I never did get to speak to him and so carried on with their original recommendations

I changed all of these things AND more and still no change.

Where I am now is 3 days down the line from incurring all this time,effort and expense, I am having trouble getting through to anyone that can help me. The people I need to speak to are never there and despite leaving my number I've not had a call back. To make things worse, the last half dozen times I have called today, nobody is even answering the phone like, they have calller id and are ignoring the call.

Anyway that's where I am up to present and will update as to where it finishes up, but regardless of what happens from here, from this experience I would recommend people to think long and hard before using this remap company - custom tuning Bradford.
Bradford !!!!!!! other than "Saltaire" which is bloody stunning, it should be carpet bombed and then blown up again twice . followed by another big bomb of any description.
I would not trust the time of day in that place
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 22:36   #3
leesh00

Only 3 bombs...........
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 22:47   #4
zerocool

I know people , i know important people. what i would have done , can not be discussed over the internet on a forum. I would bet 1 million dollars they would not have done me that way. they would have bought a new car and let me sleep with all their g/f's. And then cooked me dinner afterwards. but yes i would be irate over this type of situation.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 21:25   #5
leesh00

JUst to update

I managed to get in touch with them the day after this thread and car is now back to standard, running fine and full refund given.

So a happy ending!!!
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 07:19   #6
zerocool

^ seems like good business on their part. glad it all worked out for you.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 10:14   #7
Mutters

Glad I've read this, was thinking about using them to have my S60 "tweaked"

LJD, I couldn't agree more lol
Mutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 12:32   #8
ELO

Default In balance..

I’ve just had my car remapped and tuned by Custom Tuning at Dudley Hill, Bradford. I had read this review, which appeared in a number of places around the web, and initially it put me off using them, but being aware that there is always two sides to every situation I contacted the company and told them I was interested in using them but was cautious because of this crap review! They explained their side of it, which sounded acceptable and plausible, and I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and take my business their way. I dealt with two tuners there, Paul in correspondence who was friendly and informative, and then Andy who did the work on the day.
The remap required ECU removal from the front n/s inner wing, then access into the ECU casing as it wasn’t possible to remap via the OBD2 port. It took about 90-120 mins. Upon completion Andy told me to take her for a test drive. I was very pleased with the results, more power, torque and smoother throttle response.
When driving home I gave the car a little extra boot up the first long climb and it really pulled well, then all my dash lit up and 2 mins later I lost all power. “Oh Sh*t!!” went through my mind.
I read my faults codes straight away via the OBD2 port and got a nice collection – P042D (exhaust sensor fault), P0490 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit High, P0299 Turbo Underboost, P2263 Turbo performance !!!
A measure of a business’s value really shows itself not when all goes well with a customer but when things go wrong. I contacted Andy and he was instantly very helpful and reassured me that we’d sort it. He advised me to check all my hoses from the turbo and vacuum lines. I did and found nothing. I was told to come back the next morning and he’d look into it. Before I left I did find that the wire from the temperature sensor on the exhaust had dropped onto the drive shaft and worn through, this was nothing to do with the tuners and probably was down to me as I’d been working on the car the week before replacing the control arms. I fixed that back together and the P042D code disappeared.
When I got back to Custom Tuning, Andy was waiting for me. He strapped my car straight onto the rolling road and plugged in his diagnostic kit. It was showing that the Turbo Control Valve was out. He then went under the hood and found a vacuum hose from the TCV to the throttle body had popped off, probably because of the extra power now being generated by the turbo combined with it having been contaminated with oil during previous oil filter changes. He refitted and zipped it back on and all the power came back. He then gave me a free rolling road power test and it showed a 40 bhp increase over stock values. I left with the car’s power improved, a complimentary rolling road test and print off, and some free uprated vacuum hoses.
All in all I was very very impressed with Custom Tuning’s professionalism and service. Andy was very conscientious and happy to go the extra mile to ensure that things were as they should be.
ELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 09:24   #9
kamranm10

Thumbs up Remap done by Custom Tuning

Hi All,

After reading the reviews on this site I was a unsure if I wanted to get my audi a6 2.7 Quattro remapped from 190bhp to 230bhp.

I went along to Custom Tuning as they are 5 minutes down the road from where I live. I've not really had chance to push the car yet as I drive my little one every where I go.

But I have to say the ride now is a lot smoother, feels more responsive and feels like there is a lot more power in normal driving without even switching it to sport mode.

The reason I have had my car remapped wasn't due to power but myself wanting to cut down on my fuel bills as my ride eats too much. Hopefully I can come back and report this is now the case after driving the car for a bit.

But for now I have to say Customer Tuning get the thumbs up from me and provided myself with a 5 Star Service. I would recommend Custom Tuning all the way. My experience was great and my car feels a lot better.

Thanks Custom Tuning
kamranm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 20:40   #10
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamranm10 View Post
Hi All,

After reading the reviews on this site I was a unsure if I wanted to get my audi a6 2.7 Quattro remapped from 190bhp to 230bhp.

I went along to Custom Tuning as they are 5 minutes down the road from where I live. I've not really had chance to push the car yet as I drive my little one every where I go.

But I have to say the ride now is a lot smoother, feels more responsive and feels like there is a lot more power in normal driving without even switching it to sport mode.

The reason I have had my car remapped wasn't due to power but myself wanting to cut down on my fuel bills as my ride eats too much. Hopefully I can come back and report this is now the case after driving the car for a bit.

But for now I have to say Customer Tuning get the thumbs up from me and provided myself with a 5 Star Service. I would recommend Custom Tuning all the way. My experience was great and my car feels a lot better.

Thanks Custom Tuning
Well I'm convinced!

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 850Chris For This Useful Post: