Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine stutter D4 AWD 2016 manual

Views : 11830

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 16:32   #11
Sunstoner

My 2016 D4 AWD is doing exactly the same thing. In 4th gear between 30-40mph. Notice it less if I keep it in 3rd upto 40mph. Its almost like the engine is bogging down or something. I havent noticed it at higher speeds and it doesnt happen every time either.

Was going to drop it in to the $tealers but by the sounds of it, its not going to help any.

Good luck with getting yours sorted Keiran! (I'll keep me eyes on this post ;p )

Steve
Sunstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunstoner For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 17:25   #12
xzzz9097

Mmmh, I'm starting to think it's quite a common (yet really annoying) issue among 2015+ AWD cars with manual gearbox? I've also heard of a 220 D5 with manual having the same problem.

Last edited by xzzz9097; Sep 23rd, 2016 at 17:34.
xzzz9097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 22:33   #13
Kieranwhite9

The stutter is still happening but seems to be less? Possibly as I'm not using the air con as much? I noticed how much it sapped the power when using it whilst stationary last week. Maybe the stutter has something to do with the ac? Still a bit at a loss. The inconvenience of taking it back to the dealer only to be told they can't replicate or find a fault is very very frustrating!

I will keep checking this thread for any more advice.

I might try using the better quality diesel?
Kieranwhite9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 22:35   #14
Kieranwhite9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstoner View Post
My 2016 D4 AWD is doing exactly the same thing. In 4th gear between 30-40mph. Notice it less if I keep it in 3rd upto 40mph. Its almost like the engine is bogging down or something. I havent noticed it at higher speeds and it doesnt happen every time either.

Was going to drop it in to the $tealers but by the sounds of it, its not going to help any.

Good luck with getting yours sorted Keiran! (I'll keep me eyes on this post ;p )

Steve
Keep me posted also if you find what it causing the stutter!
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 21:54   #15
Mikesmith181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieranwhite9 View Post
Help! My Xc60 occasionally has a stutter under normal driving. Generally in high gear and not under load. Revs are between 2- 4000rpm. Speed is 30 - 40 mph although it has done it at higher speed. Volvo can't find a fault. They've checked everything, apparently. It never does it under acceleration, but when the accelerator is lightly pressed under normal driving conditions/speed, it will lose power/ stutter as if it's starved of fuel or something. It's intermittent and is one of those faults which doesn't always happen. I could drive for two or three days without any problems. Today it did a massive stutter/jolt before it carried on as normal. I was doing 35mph in 4th gear when it happened. It's driving me crazy and I know Volvo will just plug it in, not find a fault. Test drive it and it will be fine and give it back without any fault being found. It has had the ecu recall and all updates have been carried out. Can anyone give me any ideas as what might cause a loss of power/stutter/jolt for half a second on an intermittent basis? My wife drove it to Devon and at 70mph in 6th gear it was doing it lots but coming back it was fine! Thanks for your help.
Mine is doing this stutter business, it's a 2l D4 on a 62 plate, I find it does it more going round right hand turns or round about a, does do it in a straight line but a lot more rarely. The garage are replacing the air flow meter tomorrow but sounds like it's going to be a waste of money, may go speak to them regarding this ECU reset. And drive it hard for a week, (going away to Cornwall so that won't be difficult).
Mikesmith181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 14:29   #16
Kieranwhite9

I cant say if it does it going round corners but I have noticed that since we've had colder weather and the ac is not working so hard the stuttering has gone?? I am certain it must be something to do with the air con now. I will speak to Volvo about it.
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 19:48   #17
xzzz9097

Quote:
I cant say if it does it going round corners but I have noticed that since we've had colder weather and the ac is not working so hard the stuttering has gone?? I am certain it must be something to do with the air con now. I will speak to Volvo about it.
Mine also stopped doing the stutter with cold weather (around October) past year. I'm not sure is AC related though, because this summer even with very hot temps the stutters never came back. Maybe it was just a part of 5-cyls life cycle
xzzz9097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 04:48   #18
Mikesmith181

Quote:
Mine seems to have stopped now too, the day after I filled the tank with fuel, so I'm thinking mine may of been related to 2 different types of fuel addative, I didn't add the second, the garage did. But no judders for 2 days.
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 20:03   #19
Mikesmith181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith181 View Post
Mine seems to have stopped now too, the day after I filled the tank with fuel, so I'm thinking mine may of been related to 2 different types of fuel addative, I didn't add the second, the garage did. But no judders for 2 days.
Got a quick update on mine with this annoying stutter, it only seems to do it when the fuel level is low, filled the tank with fuel and it still juddered, but the following day nothing at all, and the day after that too. Monday morning driving southport to Cornwall, find up until a service stop around 2/3 the way there, slight right turn and it judders. And today, about 1/8 of a tank full, juddering for fun! Also MPG is really bad too, same journey in April it averaged 46 mpg and this time exactly 40mpg quite a difference TBH. Also had it in the garage just before we can and they took it out with the snap on OBD II reader saying at times when it juddered the map sensor read 0! Anyone any suggestions?
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 20:43   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith181 View Post
Got a quick update on mine with this annoying stutter, it only seems to do it when the fuel level is low, filled the tank with fuel and it still juddered, but the following day nothing at all, and the day after that too. Monday morning driving southport to Cornwall, find up until a service stop around 2/3 the way there, slight right turn and it judders. And today, about 1/8 of a tank full, juddering for fun! Also MPG is really bad too, same journey in April it averaged 46 mpg and this time exactly 40mpg quite a difference TBH. Also had it in the garage just before we can and they took it out with the snap on OBD II reader saying at times when it juddered the map sensor read 0! Anyone any suggestions?
There are a lot of Boost pressure sensors playing up at the moment , the one on the intercooler outlet stub ... Is that the one you had trouble with?