Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2016 XC90 - Car not starting

Views : 2763

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2019, 20:26   #21
Imtip83

Unfortunately, it was bought as private sale so no dealer redress possible. Its a First Edition, Inscription with all the extras on it as standard.

Hopefully I can get to enjoy it soon!!
Imtip83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 20:30   #22
RobQuads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtip83 View Post
Unfortunately, it was bought as private sale so no dealer redress possible. Its a First Edition, Inscription with all the extras on it as standard.

Fingers crossed they mechanic will be able to get it sorted for you. Surprised that the dealer was not a bit more co-operative, its a chance to make another customer even if you had to pay something.

Fingers crossed you got it for a bargain deal which will cover the extra costs
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 20:32   #23
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtip83 View Post

Wow. First edition. Not many of those about. D5 or T6? Cant remember but think they might have been north of 70k new.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 21:35   #24
Imtip83

Its a D5. At the moment just a lovely looking (non driving) motor!! 😬
Hopefully can find a fix without going round too many circles.
🤞🏽
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 19:12   #25
gaby
Premier Member

Any news?
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 20:16   #26
Imtip83

Smile We have lift off..

Hi Guys, bit delayed in giving an update. Been a long week! Finally got the car back yesterday. The main issue regarding non starting was indeed a steering column lock issue. Not had the full breakdown yet but apparently part was £170 through volvo. Also had a problem with the only key i had, so ive now got 2 shiny new fobs aswell. A costly bill in total but hopefully troubles behind me. Having said that, I cant seem to connect the car to wifi tried with tethering, bluetooth and home wifi. And also having issues connecting to the volvo on call app maybe same issue, so may need a trip to the garage again. But hey, atleast i can drive there now!!! Too many computers for my liking, seems like we need software engineers instead of mechanics for these machines.

Thanks for all ur help and input.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 04:08   #27
DVDV

Default Starting issue

Hi team, I’ve got an issue with my 2017 xc90 t8, it’s not starting. Everything turns on when I start the car. The batteries are all charged but I can put it in gear and I can’t release the electric handbrake. The guy from the AA thinks it’s the BCM? Anyone has got experience with this?
DVDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 07:22   #28
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDV View Post
Hi team, I’ve got an issue with my 2017 xc90 t8, it’s not starting. Everything turns on when I start the car. The batteries are all charged but I can put it in gear and I can’t release the electric handbrake. The guy from the AA thinks it’s the BCM? Anyone has got experience with this?
OK so can you be more specific please.

How do you get evrything to turn on? Long hold on the on/off switch, or short turn as normal? How can you not put it in gear? Does the gear selector not appear on the screen? What about if you do a long hold of the on/off switch? Do you get the gear selector then?

If BCM means battery control module then there was a fault on this way back in 2016 but was fixed with a software upgrade. Workaround is to do a battery reset (do a search on here for battery reset - it is described in detail). If it is the same software issue then a battery reset with bring the car to life.

Let us know and good luck
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 18:22   #29
Quacker
Premier Member

answered out of date post and deleted as much as possible
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 04:41   #30
DVDV

So basically everything turned on as per usual, like the dashboard, screen and radio etc. but the gears didn't show on the dash and I could not put it in any of the gears.

It has been fixed under the warranty and the issue was that there was no communication with the steering column lock. The dealer carried out a reload of the steering column lock and it is fine now.

The total costs would've been NZ$635.00 but as it was under warranty I didn't have to pay anything.

I hope that this helps other people.

Cheers
DVDV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DVDV For This Useful Post: