Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Austin Maestro T5, here's where it's at so far!

Views : 13211

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 20:31   #1
MaestroT5

Default Austin Maestro T5, here's where it's at so far!

Righto all,

I've not had a chance to put this up on here before now, but over the weekend I got on with stripping all the unwanted stuff off the T5, and then got around to trial fitting it in the engine bay yesterday, and it fits far better than I thought it would! I'll let the pics do the talking though:

Prepping the car to whip the M series out:

There it goes:

Prior to strip down:

Leaned down:

Trial fit of the T5, it fits bloody well! so far as I can tell so far, no surgery will be required to make it fit either, which is a total bonus:

And just a few more photos:

So far so good!

I'm going to grind the bracket down on the turbo and also relieve the bulkhead area nearest the turbo to gain extra clearance, which is about the only bit that does need attention. Easy enough to do though.

Engine mounts, well it would seem I can utilise the original Maestro front mount as it's position on the crossmember lines up perfectly with the Volvo's mount point on the block. All that needs to be done is to weld a stout piece of plate to the Maestro's 'cotton reel' mount and drill it to fit to the block. I can also use the fabricated driver's side engine mount by cutting it down and using an S40 mount. The jury's out on the other two mounts so far though! I'll have a think on though, it won't be too difficult. The only bugger of it is the M56 in the T5 seems to lack the 3 bosses and studs that the same 'box has in the S40 T4, so to make life easier I'll get hold of an S40 'box instead of the the C70 'box I have currently.

Luckily, the driveshaft locations also match up, that's another headache out of the way.

I've also been considering the fitment of the intercooler, while the cavity behind the lower grill on the front bumper will swallow a Sierra Sapphire Cosworth intercooler, getting the pipes to it will be very difficult, soooo, thinking back to the Impreza, I've decided to go for a TMIC setup, not only will this be a lot easier to do, the pipe work will be a lot shorter and in theory the car should be far less hampered by lag. Plus having a bonnet scoop will induce the point and laugh brigade, until it blows them into the weeds

Since trial fitting the engine I've not really done a lot with the project, I'm still trying to source a welder too, that'll speed things along no end.

I did manage to snag a late type Impreza TMIC (top mount intercooler) from ebay, being the later type it's got a larger capacity and also comes with the standard dump valve and STi 'Y' pipe, not bad for twenty-six of my english pounds! A TMIC will solve a lot of packaging issues for the intercooler side of things, and the intercooler will run much shorter boost pipes, win! I'll be looking at setting up intercooler waterspray later on aswell, most helpful when queueing up at the 'pod.

It's a pity I couldn't use the Cosworth intercooler, it fitted in the bumper just fine but the pipe runs would have been a bit torturous to say the least. I think I'll score anti-style points for having a bonnet scoop on a Maestro anyway, it will get ridiculed as I'm sure most people will assume it'll still have an S series under the bonnet! more fool them! I'm fully expecting my car to appear on barryboys, home to the pedantic and clueless (I've never disliked a website more).

I don't know if I'll fashion an angular scoop out of alloy sheet as per the '55 in 'Two lane blacktop' or whether I'll just whack an Impreza scoop on.

I started on the wiring loom today, christ, in comparison, physically fitting the engine into the car will be a doddle compared to that mass of spaghetti! It's terrifying!

I'll do a few updates as I progess
MaestroT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaestroT5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 20:38   #2
AndysR
VOC Member

You would have thought that powertrain assembly was made for that bay! Nice job, it will be one rapid Maestro when it's finished. Will it stay as is on the outside or are you planning modifications for the exterior?
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 20:43   #3
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Interesting thread, and interesting project. I like what you're trying to achieve.

The only thing that raised my eyebrows a bit is the choice of car. An Austin Maestro?
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 20:48   #4
tc
VOC Member

Oh dear god I just fell off my chair I laughed that hard!, nothing like that ever came out of a BL plant. Good luck with the build I'll be watching to see how this comes out.
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 20:58   #5
strbryan
I've Been Banned

You sir are a mad man, but I love you for what you are about to create
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 21:14   #6
sirSTUpid
VOC Member

Talking

I tell you what m8 I would luuurrrvvv a go in that once its finished!!! A maestro on steroids lmao I'll definately be keeping an eye on this thread!!
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 21:34   #7
John_C
Allons-y!

Love it
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 21:44   #8
244T
VOC Member

Default Tremendous

What an effort!, berhaps BL were thinking along simlar lines?

Will be quite a tool once finished, stick at it, it will be worth it!!

Looking forward to more photos as progress is made

'90 740 GLT: Standard car
'80 240 DL: Lots of bits and bobs inc turbo intercooler etc etc
244T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 22:08   #9
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Fantastic! MG Maestro Turbos were pretty quick in their time........... this'll fly with that (lack of) weight!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 22:19   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
Interesting thread, and interesting project. I like what you're trying to achieve.

The only thing that raised my eyebrows a bit is the choice of car. An Austin Maestro?
Anyone who saw the maestro racing series way back will realise what a fine handling car it is , it beats the golf GTI of its day ...
Then there is the Maestro turbo a viscious brute with it's 150 bhp but one of these races in the castle combe saloon car championship and is right up there at the sharp end doing better than the Volvo T4 which is reputed to have 450 bhp ...

Now maybe one day i will fit a T5 into a hillman imp mid engine .. ( deadly serious ) ...