Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Pepper" smell

Views : 1419

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2010, 19:55   #1
jocko

Default "Pepper" smell

In the summer I get a "pepper" smell/sensation when I have my air con on. It doesn't seem apparent in the winter. My wife never notices anything! Any ideas? Could it be the extremely dry air affecting my nasal passages? Anyone any experience? Thanks.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 20:03   #2
JRS80

Hi, have you tried changing your pollen filter? There are also special companies out there that can treat the whole system with some sort of fungicide.

I guess it is also worth saying again to use the air con all year round to prevent any bacterial build - which could well be what you are smelling..
JRS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 20:04   #3
andy_d
Premier Member

check the cabin/pollen filter and when it was last changed maybe is full of "things that make you go eeew" ?
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 22:12   #4
myatt1972

I had an old cavalier that smelled like pepper, the problem turned out to be the heater matrix was leaking.
Hope its not that for you.
Keith...
myatt1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 22:33   #5
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

a dry like cement dust smell when the heater is first started is bacteria in the heater box,there are sprays for this that can be directed into the heater box on recirculation,a sweet smell usually when the hot can be the heater matrix leaking but very rare.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 11:02   #6
4 forty
VOC Member

Default fabreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
check the cabin/pollen filter and when it was last changed maybe is full of "things that make you go eeew" ?
before fitting the new pollen filter, give it a spray of fabreeze for a nice fresh smell.
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 16:56   #7
jocko

Default Thanks guys.

Thanks to you all. As far as I am aware pollen filter has never been changed in last 4 years. I will get it changed now. Matrix is not leaking as it has not lost a drop of coolant in all this time. I use air con summer and winter. Believe changing filter requires stripping facia panels off inside car. I think I will phone local Volvo dealer for a menu quote and let him do it. Thank you all once again.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 18:10   #8
andy_d
Premier Member

yours is a Phase 2 s/v40 ?
if so the pollen filter is a 5min job (honestly 5mins)
passenger foot well, there is a black retaining cap one "press to release" clip and swing the cap out the way, pull down the old filter, using the two pull tabs, (use both it makes life easier) bending the filter towards the passenger wheel as you lower it, hoover up the dust /debris that fall out, quick hoover on the edge of the hole, un box the new filter , ease the top edge in (it only goes in 1 way) bending it towards the passenger wheel again as you feed it up and in, slip the capping strip back on,, done.
no need to trouble the dealer at all. filters - FRF in swansea or ebay (about £20 ish posted)
phase 1 "unsure"
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 15:32   #9
jocko

Default Thanks.

Thanks andy_d and 4 forty. I will give it a go. Should save a small fortune.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 17:30   #10
danielv40

Hi,
I seem to get the dry cement smell from mine, but only really when the aircon it turned on.
I have got some Forte air conditioning anti-bac clean and freshen spray, but i haven't got a clue where to spray it. Any ideas? Thanks.

V40 1997, 2.0 CD Auto.
danielv40 is offline   Reply With Quote