Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Autoglass & non OEM glass replacement

Views : 1616

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2023, 11:31   #11
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

My Daughters Nissan had 3rd party glass fitted by autoglass. HID works fine and they recalibrate all the lane-keeping driver aid type stuff, no problems at all. Can see no reason why a screen intended for a Volvo would be any different.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2023, 11:56   #12
nu11eaf
Premier Member

The heating elements in my screen are not the same pattern as the original screen. Those with HUD do not have heating elements so it should not make any difference to those cars.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2023, 16:25   #13
Haldex
Premier Member

OP's car is practically a brand new vehicle (MY23) - so under warranty for another 3 yrs (or more, if warranty extension was purchased..). In case of water ingress and/or any electronics failure due to moisture - Volvo can refuse warranty and blame it on aftermarket replacement part/non-authorized repairer.

I fail to understand how can insurers in UK insist on an aftermarket replacement over an original part on nearly new cars. EU insurers are obliged to cover new OEM parts on vehicles up to certain age (I believe it's 3 yrs and newer).

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2023, 16:47   #14
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

They can't. A customer is entitled to take their car wherever they want to have insurance work done.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2023, 17:35   #15
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
They can't. A customer is entitled to take their car wherever they want to have insurance work done.
Partly true, but insurers can up the amount you have to pay (the excess) if you don't go to a "preferred repairer". LV certainly do this and are quite unpleasant if you complain (eg if you want to use a Volvo franchisee for the repair). A Which? Best Buy company? Not in my book.

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2023, 20:30   #16
PhilipT5

I had a replacement windscreen within 6 months of buying mine. All done by autoglass and HUD and lane keep are all fine, never had issues. As someone else said, I think it's all down to the individual you get doing it on the day rather than the company.
Old May 25th, 2023, 10:53   #17
dacman

Had a large stone break my window screen of my xc60 72 plate but 2023 built. Have waited 3 weeks for the appointment with auto glass and they have the wrong screen and apparently don’t do one for my car as the camera bit is different as it’s the latest spec. They have now ordered one from Volvo, just have to wait. Was talking to a chap there who has an Audi and they put a pattern part in and it’s played havoc with the sensors so they swapping it for a genuine Audi one.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2023, 22:15   #18
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Volvo don’t make glass, they use saint gobain sekurit. That’s what’s marked on the screens with the Volvo logo. Saint gobain are used by many oem brands. So as long as the glass I had put in was made by them then you’re near enough to 100% genuine volvo. Anything else I wouldn’t be so keen.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post: