Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RTI Sat Nav - in a world of its' own

Views : 2980

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2004, 14:39   #1
perussell

Default RTI Sat Nav - in a world of its' own

Just took del'y a month ago of new XC90 Executive and very nice it is too! Very pleased with all aspects bar one - the Sat Nav. Leaving aside the fact that the traffic info doesn't work I have sometimes been less than impressed by the routes offered to me and then the system's intransigence to plot a new route when I have (purposely) strayed off path e.g. Loughborough - Chippenham this week - sat nav suggested I go via M1 past SIlverstone and M40 to Oxford thence Newbury and along the M4. (system setting - fastest route). I opted to go M69 past Coventry / Warwick and then down the A429 Fosseway to Cirencester and on - approx 50-60 miles shorter and just as fast. On crossing the M40 I was prompted to go down the Motorway - OK not unreasonable but not where I wanted to go. But for the next 20 miles the system consistently tried turning me round 180 degrees to go back to the chosen route, a journey of up to 115 miles! However when I changed the setting to shortest route it finally agreed with me and 115 miles became 58! - so 115 was hardly the fastest route. It seems as if the choice is either between favouring Motorway or cross country but not a mixture of both. Why doesn't the system recalculate sooner, how can it think 115 miles is going to be faster than 58? Is there another way to set this up - if I set up Shortest route it does exactly that and ignores for example a nearby m-way which might add only 10 miles to the journey but which will obviously be faster. This issue therefore seems to be the intransigence to recalculate away from the original route.(ps none of the internet route planners e.g. RAC/AA etc thought Oxford would be the quickest route either!)
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 17:49   #2
George Holmer

Default RE: RTI Sat Nav - in a world of its' own

There seems to be two schools on the programming of sat navs. One say that if the driver strays from the programmed route, the software should recalculate on the basis of the way the driver is actually going, i.e. if you say Maidstone to Birmingham and it says M40, if you then go down the M4, it should recalculate and ask you to come off at the A34 for the M40. This is of course the most inteligent way of doing it. However, the other school tends to think that if the driver strays, he should be asked to return to the original route and to do this not via the fastest way from where he is to the best point of the original route but from where he is to whence he started straying regardless of time and distance.

If you ask a sat nav to calculate the shortest distance route, then it will ignore the motorway as you say. I have no explaination why the sat nav wanted you to go this rather strange way, however, for the fastest route.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 Volvo 945 Polar LPT
'87 Volvo 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 15:45   #3
perussell

This gets even better.......... travelling from S West to Sunderland for Xmas. North of Leeds the A1 was blocked so decided to take the A64 to York and then round the ring road and straight up the A19 through Thirsk and Middlesborough to my final destination. 5 miles out of York, and in order to help navigate the ring road, I entered the details into the Satnav and told it to avoid the A1 up to Scotch Corner foolishly expecting it to pick up the A19 - hardly a minor road.
What do I get? - a suggestion to turn around, drive back across the Pennines to the M6, then up north to the Lake District and back across the A66 at Penrith turning a journey of approx 97 miles into a 'fastest' route of 192 miles!!!!
Thank heavens this was standard equipment in my vehicle and that I didn't fork out £2500 as an extra, I would be spitting nails.

The system is worse than useless......
I cannot believe Volvo can be behind such rubbish!
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 22:58   #4
tj101c70

HI Guys

Have heard about this before,,and afraid I can not offer any explanation,, only that I have ran Volvo,s sat-nav since they were first fitted(1999 year) and have never had any problems at all,
I do know that the XC90 & V70 systems are not the same, as my "R" operates in a different way to the XC.s

Regards

TJ101 04 V70R AWD (Flash-Man)
05 XC90 D5SE(Ruby-Geartronic)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 08:37   #5
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Since I live in Loughborough and my mum lives near Chippenham, I've tried every variation of the route between the two.

The shortest and prettiest is the M1/M69/A5/Fosseway/Moreton-in-Marsh/Lechlade/Swindon variation, the fastest (with my driving) is the all motorway M1/M69/A46/M40/M5/M4 to the Chippenham turnoff and all other variations are either slower, uglier, more frustrating or longer.

Try programming the former into a sat-nav: it's hard enough on a computer route map!
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:02   #6
perussell

Spoke to Volvo about this last week both at dealer and corporate level.

Systems in V70 and XC90 are different i.e. V70= CD and XC90= DVD and supposedly they are not interchangeable in any way.

Volvo eventually suggested I try another DVD, apparently they are renewed every December. Dealer however didn't have a copy of Dec 04 disc but did have a more recent disc than the one in my Sep 04 vehicle ???? - which makes me wonder if there has been a batch of faulty discs since in principle the original disc in my vehicle should have been a Dec 03 version.

Anyway, early days , but out of interest asked the system to route me from Chippenham to Loughborough. Fastest route via M4/M5 etc and shortest route via A429 etc with no mention of Oxford or Northampton so initial outlook is more promising. However I haven't tested the system in anger yet so we shall wait and see...........
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:17   #7
tj101c70

>Systems in V70 and XC90 are different i.e. V70= CD and XC90=
>DVD and supposedly they are not interchangeable in any way.

Both V70 (02 model year) and XC90 are DVD systems,, however the programs are different,, ie, you can find address via post codes on the XC,, but can not on V70 !!!,, i have tried to swop discs, but no joy

Regards TJ

TJ101 04 V70R AWD (Flash-Man)
05 XC90 D5SE(Ruby-Geartronic)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 18:44   #8
Al115
Premier Member

You really would have thought it economical for Volvo to produce ONE sat-nav system across the range - unless the differences are in hardware as well as software?

Alastair
----------------------------
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopos...357v70-sig.jpg
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 09:51   #9
perussell

Well, the new disc isn't a lot better than the old one. Last week travelling east along M4 en route to Hemel Hempstead (M4/25/1), the M4 was blocked between Reading(J10) and Maidenhead (J8/9). Told the system to avoid the next 12 miles expecting to be taken up to the A4 East, then North along the A404 dual carriageway to High Wycombe and onto the M40, thence back to the M25. Seems logical doesn't it? But no, the system suggested I divert South through Bracknell and onto the M3 and then to the M25 (and through the major Roadworks) in other words instead of diverting me North towards my destination it wanted me to go in the opposite direction i.e.South and add a further 20+ miles to the journey. Suffice to say I ignored the advice.....

Interestingly Volvo have suggested I use the 'Avoid M'way's' option in future. I think I shall use the 'Avoid SatNav' option and revert to using a good old fashioned Road Atlas.

Also have subsequently learned that a replacement / updated DVD map costs £240!!!
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 21:40   #10
edzmicro

I too have the XC90 RTI sat nav system - and am terribly disappointed with this junk masquerading as a useful item - unlike previous owners I did pay for mine as a new car option - unfortunately.
I have used PDA style systems previously and they are just SUPERB !
Using TOM TOM 5 they do exactly what you would expect - offer an alternative route IMMEDIATELY if requested with just one button press.
I picked up the XC90 from Huddersfield 95 miles - using TOM TOM -
I set the Volvo RTI for the route back - it sent me in the opposite direction took 1 hour longer and was 135 miles.
If such superb software is out there why for pities sake doesn't Volvo licence the TOM TOM system. It also allows you to input all the Gatso and traffic light cameras in the UK - with warnings!!!
Dont buy a new dvd @ £200 + go out and buy a PDA with TOM TOM 5 installed - until such time as Volvo get their a--e into gear and do the job properly !! It will be better AND cheaper.