Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ford vs Volvo quality

Views : 5550

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2020, 21:56   #41
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
I'd buy a Nissan over a Mercedes for reliability any day. Merc and BMW seem to be getting terrible reviews over last few years
So do Nissan.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 06:54   #42
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
So do Nissan.
The nevara has a habit of snapping the timing chain I'm told. Put me off looking at them few years ago.
Looking at the rubbish out there and the inflated prices being asked decided me to fit a new chassis to the old landrover rather than change it. A lot cheaper and a known item.

Would consider a Toyota but even they rust and are always heavy money.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 16:56   #43
Turbodave
VOC Member

I've had five P2 Volvo V70's over the years... petrols and diesels and ranging from 150,000 miles to 250,000 miles. I've had my fair share of failures, breakdowns, bits falling off, appalling road manners, uneven tyre wear and such like. Don't get me wrong, I like them... they're a decent car when they're not busy breaking or slowly rotting from the inside out however for the past three years, I've also run a V50 2.0 Sport... that Ford thing with the French engine as the tedious types like to rattle off regularly. Despite it nearing 230k, it's been superb... drives much better than a P2, goes better, returns better MPG, has had significantly less issues and I have absolutely no desire to to get rid of it any time soon. I don't care if some bits say FoMoCo either.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 17:10   #44
domhart10
Volvo S40

yup I do not understand the hatred between this ford vs volvo thing as its a combined effort. I have had my Volvo S40 T5 and it has been brilliant, had it from 44k 4 years ago now to currently 149k ... very happy, and even more so happy with how the chasis handles on track which is a focus chasis ... I think a car lasts as well as it has been treated regardless of make.

I also had the older V40 and older S40 and they were all lovely cars as well, obviosuly felt older in every way but still great cars.

If you are a Volvo P1 T5 owner and you are looking to upgrade parts, you upgrade to the Focus ST or RS parts, so you end up with more ford parts on the car instead of Volvo ... in my eyes thats a massive plus so thats where I struggle to see whats wrong with the P1 platform? as for the interior, mines 2009 and it is still in great condition. I am still running the original bushes all around the car, still on original driveshafts etc etc dispite the abuse the car gets.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 17:22   #45
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Now that is a shame. Great little piece of kit and I use mine regularly. Can you not speak to Volvo? Perhaps they would listen to you!
When I got a year old 740 back in 1980 I spent 10 minutes trying (and failing) to pull it out from the screen rubber. I thought the previous owner had just pushed a bit of plastic under the screen. Once I realised it's purpose I really appreciated it. I still do on my latest Volvo, a 5 month old V90 R Design. It's perfect for holding my blue badge when not using the time gizmo. The badge won't sit on the top of the dash without sliding off within seconds of driving off.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boatie For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 17:30   #46
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Nissan based so might even be well made!!
I once bought a Nissan (X Trail) thinking it would be reliable. The turbo and intercooler both failed at 29k. Returned to Volvo after that where I remain to this day.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 20:54   #47
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
I once bought a Nissan (X Trail) thinking it would be reliable. The turbo and intercooler both failed at 29k. Returned to Volvo after that where I remain to this day.
My comment was more aimed at Mercedes dire reliability. Only ever owned a micra frogeye and it was good as gold!!

I think as the public demand ever more complex cars the potential for fragility increases exponentially. Mate had an 86 Nissan patrol with a big straight six petrol engine. It covered over 400k hard miles before finaly disintegrating!!

Last edited by biggbn; Aug 18th, 2020 at 21:12.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 18:58   #48
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Never been a Ford fan, excepting the odd old Ka
Apart from the fact it looks like it was designed by a three year old it’s a cracking motor. I had a on X reg Collection and it was faultless. I drove it all over the country and used to get a pretty respectable mpg. The AC pump used to kill the performance of the engine but the fact it was ice cold more than made up for it. Loved owning it and made a huge mistake selling it.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 21:14   #49
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
My comment was more aimed at Mercedes dire reliability. Only ever owned a micra frogeye and it was good as gold!!

I think as the public demand ever more complex cars the potential for fragility increases exponentially. Mate had an 86 Nissan patrol with a big straight six petrol engine. It covered over 400k hard miles before finaly disintegrating!!
Mercedes are far more complex than Nissan's, so there's more to go wrong. In a way, they've dug themselves a hole by making their cars so complicated & this is why their reliability figures have dropped. The last true Mercedes in my opinion were the W123's, W124's & the W140's... They were reliable & were built like tanks to last mega miles. Whereas, the cars sold today by Mercedes aren't built as well & are loaded with complicated electronics.

I don't really think Mercedes can be compared to Nissan. Yes, both brands manufacture cars, but one is a prestige brand & the other isn't. Luxury brands should be compared with other luxury brands for example, so Mercedes vs Jaguar or BMW. Nissan on the other hand could be compared with brands like Ford & Kia, which would be in the same league in terms of being non-prestige vehicles.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 21:59   #50
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Mercedes are far more complex than Nissan's, so there's more to go wrong. In a way, they've dug themselves a hole by making their cars so complicated & this is why their reliability figures have dropped. The last true Mercedes in my opinion were the W123's, W124's & the W140's... They were reliable & were built like tanks to last mega miles. Whereas, the cars sold today by Mercedes aren't built as well & are loaded with complicated electronics.

I don't really think Mercedes can be compared to Nissan. Yes, both brands manufacture cars, but one is a prestige brand & the other isn't. Luxury brands should be compared with other luxury brands for example, so Mercedes vs Jaguar or BMW. Nissan on the other hand could be compared with brands like Ford & Kia, which would be in the same league in terms of being non-prestige vehicles.
I'd put an infiniti over a Mercedes for reliability and a top line super complex Lexus over anything. For brands to cite customer demand for complex vehicles as an excuse for any type of frailty is laughable in this day and age. Mercedes, BMW, VW, hell, even Volvo know they have the brand recognition and brand loyalty that their customer is happy to shoulder r and d costs for the 'priveledge ' of the badge. I agree, w123, 124, 126 and 140 were the last proper mercs, e38 and e39 the pinnacle for bmw quality...and even they were not without fault which is literally what tens of thousands of Lexus ls are/were. Yes, some break down, but anecdotally and in my own experience they are built to a standard not a cost and are incredibly thoughtfully and over engineered.

Edit, I was not comparing nissan to mercedes in a previous post, I was specifically highlighting that the merc pick up shares a lot with the nissan one and was implying that Mercedes reliabilty is so poor that the contributory parts supplied even by one of the less reliable Japanese brands would make it more reliable than had Mercedes built if from scratch. I'm unlikely to be in a position to do so but I would never buy a modern Mercedes. Overstated, overstyled cheap looking, g wagen probably excepted...it is all of the above but the child in me appreciates its ridiculousness and the tree hugging hippy in me delights in the incogrous irony of running one as a daily driver in these post eco Apocalypse times!!

Last edited by biggbn; Aug 19th, 2020 at 22:04.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote