Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 148981

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2023, 19:15   #911
Dippydog
Premier Member

Brake caliper stripped and cleaned up rebuild kit installed so all good at least for now,will see how we progress.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 10:22   #912
Keith M

Had a look at my 2003 C70 handbrake shoes as it has always had low efficiency at Mot tests but sufficient to pass and I had usually adjusted at the wheels.
At 185,000 miles and having read through some of the horror stories with rear failures, decided to have a look. Plenty of meat left on shoes as expected but one of them had delaminated about 30% of its length, so really happy to have got there in time.
The rear disks had been replaced just before I got the car at 120k and I have changed pads once since, so had not needed to go in there.
Once again thanks for all the reports and tips.
Keith M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith M For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 18:28   #913
Dippydog
Premier Member

Found out the battery has decided to die,car was last used last Thursday when there were no problems at all,today totally dead no lights on dash or anything
Old Dec 12th, 2023, 00:54   #914
rabbituk

If your battery has died, are you sure it isnt a battery drain issue like door marker lights staying on? The front passenger door microswitch on my V70 is worn and so consequently requires a firm shut else marker lights stay on.
rabbituk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rabbituk For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2023, 08:24   #915
Dippydog
Premier Member

Yes it had occurred to me that it might have developed a battery drain issue and as soon as we get some dry enough weather I'll run some tests to see if this is the case. Thanks for the suggestion though much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 17:50   #916
rabbituk

Finally got round to repairing the shelf underneath the glove box. It had been off for more than a year and as I've sorted a bunch of other things on the car recently, I felt energised to sort this too. Used fibre glass resin for the first time ever. Actually fairly straight forward to use and I'm realising that containing the resin is the really important bit. Thankfully the lugs on the shelf that I was repairing are hidden by the glove box door. Now I nolonger need to curse the careless mechanic who broke them in the first place and didn't tell me.

Here is a photo of the repaired area. Required a bit of fettling with a wire brush afterwards on the left lug which was completely replaced as there needed to be a curve for where the door swings. https://photos.app.goo.gl/CJMP592Vbwa1ByZ58
rabbituk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 14:43   #917
bob12
bob12

Part pre-MOT for next Tuesday for the '98 V70. New amber bulbs each side in the clear wing turn indicators as the amber coating was flaking off the old ones and were almost white. Must have been cheapos! However on the upside I now have to clear 501 bulbs in stock!

Then new front corner turn indicator lens/housing each side next to the headlights - a bit of a fiddle to get them seated properly in the fixing tags slots but just about got there in the end.

Not too pleasant out there so new front number plate deferred until tomorow!

Keep warm ....

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 19:49   #918
bob12
bob12

Re ^^^^ ..... new front number plate fitted and now that's another year's MOT done and dusted today! Currently awaiting the V70 back from my mechanic guy tomorrow after its yearly service. It's still bloody cold!!

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 18:20   #919
ITSv40
VOC Member

In the process of the annual service before going for mot.

Have changed engine oil and filter, checked fluid levels, filters, lubricated all hinges, checked lights etc.

Last years check, I removed the rear discs just to see what is going on with the handbrake - it is remarkably good, so wasn't expecting anything to be wrong, but I noticed the shoes had just started to delaminate.

I left things as they were and ordered new shoes for this years service - genuine Volvo. Fitted today and all went well and all adjusted. I was surprised how much more the shoes had delaminated, especially as it has only done 2,000 miles since and I never use the handbrake to stop the car - it is too severe for that. Nice to note how clean and like new it still is within the drums.

So, having sorted that, caliper and pad clean and change the fluid is next. then two new tyres as the front pair are 12 years old and started to crack. Wheels to be refurbished while the tyres are off.

Then full valet and annual polish before going for the test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240314_154428.jpg (174.9 KB, 14 views)
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 17:59   #920
phatboy130
1999 V70 XT Auto

New alternator and battery the other day, sourced battery myself, but got a trusted local garage to fit it all as my arthritis is playing up at the moment. All seems good so far, I had diagnosed a failing alternator under load. Changed battery as a matter of course as the old one was at least 6 years old and test showed it was past it's best. Drop links and bumper brackets to follow soon when it's warm and dry enough for a driveway diy jobbie 😉

740 / 850 / V70 / 440

Current: 1999 V70 XT Auto
phatboy130 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phatboy130 For This Useful Post: