Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intro and Initial thoughts of my S90

Views : 1548

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2019, 13:23   #1
Kingkenny

Default Intro and Initial thoughts of my S90

Hi All, wanted to say hello, I am a new member here and have very recently become the owner of a 2018 S90 D5 R Design.
It was a bit of a 'left field' choice for me as I have a been a BMW fanboy for many years (E60, F21, F10) amongst others as well as having an aging Z4 in the garage for a bit of fun from time to time.

To be honest, I was about to pull the trigger on the new shape G30 5 Series but decided last minute to check out the S90 and as you can tell, I was so impressed, I decided to make the move to Sweden!

I have to say, in terms of kit, tech and in my opinion, the Volvo wins hands down. The new 5 series is very nice, but to get a model with any of the toys you would actually want, it becomes a very, very pricey car. I would also note that without adaptive suspension, the 5 is not the car it is claimed to be!!

It's only been a few days of ownership but I am very happy with car, fit and finish is excellent,tech works just as intended, performance of the D5 is very impressive and I just love the looks and ambience of the car. I still don't know why independent reviews don't give this car higher ratings, to me it is on par or even above the 'class leading' 5 series, particularly if you compare standard spec cars.

I will update in a few weeks to see if any of the shine has worn off my new purchase opinions but look forward to being part of the forum!
Kingkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kingkenny For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 15:47   #2
Williemaykit

Welcome aboard. I came from a f11
Williemaykit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 17:06   #3
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

Likewise I replaced my 90k mile F11 with a V90 in December
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 17:34   #4
Kingkenny

How do you both find your Volvo's vs the 5 Series?
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 19:04   #5
RochdalePioneers

Welcome! I also have a new car, having picked up an S90 D4 Inscription pre-reg on Saturday. My car appears to have been the dealership gone mad special, with a stack of options ticked including the amazing B&W sound system.

I also ran a BMW - did 70k miles in 2 years in an F10 520d. I've been asked how they compare - and there is no comparison. The S90 is better in every way, looks, ergonomics, solidity, tech and fuel economy.
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 20:34   #6
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkenny View Post
How do you both find your Volvo's vs the 5 Series?
Of course it's better, but I'm only comparing a 4 yo F11 to a brand new V90; i didn't look at or test a new 5er.

Sure the tech is perhaps similar on the new 5er but my V90 is more comfortable.

Roughly checking I'd need to spend another £2.4k over the 5er M Sport to match the spec of the R Design:

£360 - folding exterior mirrors
£390 - tinted windows
£195 - rear sun blinds
£150 - high beam assistant
£965 - Active Cruise with Stop/Go
£375 - Rear camera

To get the Pilot Assist equivalent, you need the BMW Driving Assistant Plus which is £2250
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 21:02   #7
TibbyWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopsSA View Post
To get the Pilot Assist equivalent, you need the BMW Driving Assistant Plus which is £2250
I think that this is one of the biggest things differentiating the S90 / V90 / XC90 etc from the German competition at the moment. It was certainly one of the most important factors that lured me away from my current Audi A6 avant and a potential future Q7 to an XC90.
TibbyWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 21:55   #8
Kingkenny

Agreed on the pilot assist, a big factor for me too.

Add to the cost the hk stereo in the BMW too (the standard set up is shocking) and you are adding another grand.

The Volvo feels value for money in comparison but thats just part of it, it offers much more all round and is a better package.

BMW still wins driving dynamics wise but who honestly buys a 5 to go racing?!!!
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 22:14   #9
Grumpybri

Hello Kingkenny and welcome.
Agree with you totally on the S90. Was looking at getting a BMW 435d xdrive M sport and was close to making a deal until the test drive in a S90 that I ended up buying at 6 months old.
Just love the tech and comfort which beats any BMW in my opinion.

Do you ever go on any of the Z4 meets? 10th annual Z4 Forum meet is in the Lakes District in July. Shameless plug but it will be my 9th year and helping out a bit this year.
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 22:29   #10
Amdram

Hi just taken delivery of my 2019 S90 Momentum Pro this afternoon. Can’t wait to put some miles on it over the next few weeks. Towbar to be fitted on Friday with first tow of our caravan planned for first March. Will let you know how we get on
Amdram is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amdram For This Useful Post: