Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wiring problem

Views : 670

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2019, 15:17   #1
Thowdfella
Thowdfella

Default Wiring problem

I have a 1966 122s and the wiring is a mess which I am slowly sorting out.
I have just got the roof light in the front to work but cannot get the two courtesy lights in the rear of the car to work. I have the electrical book with various wiring diagrams but none of them show the two rear lights. Can anyone tell me how the should be wired please? There are no switches on them so I would have thought they would come on when the front roof light comes on.
Thanks
Thowdfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 15:35   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

TF;

Amazons only had the front Courtesy Light from the factory...any rear C Lights will be something that a PO installed... and in that case, you will need to carefully inspect installation, circuit, and measure voltages to see what's what...fused power source for OE C Light is Fuse 4, and if you're lucky, they simply added these C Lights onto that circuit...and IF they installed C Lights from a P1800, (BIG IF!!) be advised that these do in fact have a local switch...by lifting the Lens slightly, it closes a contact which allows current to flow through lamp...

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 14:23   #3
Thowdfella
Thowdfella

Thanks for that- explains why there is nothing on the circuit diagram.
I have removed one and it must have been an optional extra as there are two holes in the chassis to take the light bits and the wiring but now I have to trace where the wires go as there is obviously a switch somewhere there is none built into the light. The light covers are open at the bottom end but there is no switch on the lights.
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 14:54   #4
Triple-S
How Old?

Just a thought - my Amazon Estate has a small switch at each side of the car's instrument panel. They are at the outermost ends of the under-flange of the metal panel (if you follow). Mine had one operate a light next to the parcels-shelf: I used the other one for the spotlights (but that was my idea, not necessarily a factory option).
Maybe?

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 21:10   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

All Amazons had a hole at the end under the dash for the shelf lights RHD and LHD. The 123 GT had an extra one added on the drivers side, again RHD or LHD, and this pair switched the GT's fog and spot lights separately as needed. All switches were the same type.
As said, no rear courtesy lights on Amazon saloons. Would be easy to fit though and the 1800 type with the rocking lens switch does at least keep it Volvo.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 07:39   #6
Thowdfella
Thowdfella

Thanks for the replies. however I have now traced the wires and they go to door switches in the rear door columns just the same as the front doors.
The 12 volt supply was broken to the lights but now I have repaired it both lights work when either rear door is opened. All the holes in the car for the lights and wires were obviously built in to the car as standard so these must have been an optional extra. It is a British registered car so maybe this was only for this Country.
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 14:10   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Still not factory AFAIK. Maybe used as a taxi in the distant past?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 16:15   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Derek;

I agree...no matter how cleanly it may have been done, it wasn't done that way by the factory!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote