Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

FOR SALE: XC90 D5 AWD Exec, 60 plate, Blue, <54k miles

Views : 6290

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 10:30   #1
xc90d5awd

Smile FOR SALE: XC90 D5 AWD Exec, 60 plate, Blue, <54k miles

Hi
I’m selling my Dads cherished 7 seater Volvo. He passed away in Feb and Mum doesn’t want the car on her drive as the memories are too painful. I registered it in my name in April as she wanted to keep his private plate (had his initials on it) and Mum doesn’t have a license. So it’s essentially only had two owners and the first only had it for around a year. My Dad owned it for the vast majority of its life and really looked after it, getting any jobs done straight away and regularly servicing it (13 years of receipts/stamps). FSH.

It has 7 cream leather seats, for the most part in excellent condition. No modifications, wooden steering wheel and gear knob, original alloys, original infotainment system, built in Sat Nav with remote, digital compass driver mirror, electric chrome side mirrors, CD system, both keys, locking wheel nut socket, both original sets of mats: rubber and carpet, retractable boot/privacy shelf.

Dad always said she purrs like a lion ! 😊

A recent RAC report resulted in a few things being note that I wasn’t aware of. The cam belt hasn’t been done. The power steering is very stiff at low speeds. (The tank and pipe have been replaced). There’s some ‘fluid residue staining’ on the pump.

I’ve recently changed the drivers seat control housing for a new Volvo part I bought (£80) - all controls are in working order. I’ve also fixed the fuel door lock which I thought was a fuse but turned out it was just a loose connection on the motor. The only warning on the dash is ‘on call deactivated’. It’s been cleaned repeatedly inside and out. Front passenger seat has a tear in the leather piping about 3 inches long. Drivers seat has some scuffs along the right hand side of the seat above the controls.

There’s a bit of cracking on the outside of the two rear tyres but neither are unroadworthy. Also a little kerb scuffing on the alloys. A few other minor bodywork scuffs such as stone chipping, rain water staining on rear side panels, but nothing major.

There are a number of minor bodywork issue but all what you’d expect for a car of this age. Only one bump where someone reversed into the rear bumper right hand corner in a car park but even that is only cosmetic.

The car is up for sale on Autotrader for £11500 but I’d seriously consider sensible offers. (I’ve seen similar models with higher mileage go for much more). I’m aware of the work that needs doing and did consider having it done but would like to ask if you guys are interested first as I heard that a lot of you enjoy these small projects.

There are plenty of photos on Autotrader but if anyone has any questions or requests for more photos I’d be happy to help. I’ve tried to be as honest as I can and hope you can see this is a great car in very good condition and I’m very reluctant to sell it for emotional reasons, but it’s really not needed and I’d like to see it go to a good home.

MOT is due in September.

I’ve started another thread recently just to get some info on the things raised on the RAC report and again I’m happy to answer any questions.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...63#post2903363

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02306289047035

Last edited by xc90d5awd; Jul 2nd, 2023 at 11:58. Reason: Added to title, added photos
xc90d5awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 17:39   #2
xc90d5awd

Exclamation Still available

Very surprised there’s been no interest. If anyone is put off by anything please let me know what.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 09:05   #3
xc90d5awd

This is still available. £10,500
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 18:44   #4
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

TBH, it looks nice, but even with the low miles its still a 12 year old car, it needs work done, so, and your not going to like this, but I'd place it at £6k-£7k, your price is way, way too optimistic.

Sorry
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 18:51   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

^^^ What he said, buyers who look for projects want the car cheap as there is a level of risk to them. Buyers who pay top price expect a sorted car with warranty - i.e. no risk.

However, I'd say it would be more like £8k, but there is a number on the market as sellers in ULEZ areas part company...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 20:32   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
TBH, it looks nice, but even with the low miles its still a 12 year old car, it needs work done, so, and your not going to like this, but I'd place it at £6k-£7k, your price is way, way too optimistic.

Sorry
My thoughts from the outset but didn't want to comment.

£7995 is my guess at where it needs to be but I genuinely wish the seller good luck.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 18:22   #7
xc90d5awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post

Sorry
Thats ok, thanks for your input. You’ve probably just made selling it here a lot more difficult but I did ask so no hard feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
^^^ What he said, buyers who look for projects want the car cheap as there is a level of risk to them. Buyers who pay top price expect a sorted car with warranty - i.e. no risk.

However, I'd say it would be more like £8k, but there is a number on the market as sellers in ULEZ areas part company...
Fair comment. I’ve seen a fair few myself in the last month or so, but none are both in the condition this is in and have mileage as low as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
My thoughts from the outset but didn't want to comment.

£7995 is my guess at where it needs to be but I genuinely wish the seller good luck.
Thank you. I’m sticking at £10500 but like I said, I’m open to sensible offers.
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 08:24   #8
ShakTak
XC90

It's a very nice XC90.

Buyers are thinking what they have to spend before it's right. So possibly a new steering pump or worse (rack) and timing belt.

Right mileage for auto oil change and haldex oil change to keep them right.

Looks like the offside headlamp is cracked?

Last edited by ShakTak; Jul 23rd, 2023 at 08:27.
ShakTak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 08:32   #9
xc90d5awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakTak View Post
It's a very nice XC90.

Buyers are thinking what they have to spend before it's right. So possibly a new steering pump or worse (rack) and timing belt.

Right mileage for auto oil change and haldex oil change to keep them right.

Looks like the offside headlamp is cracked?
No cracks, no. Sun blemishing yes, no cracks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1864.jpg (269.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by xc90d5awd; Jul 23rd, 2023 at 08:41. Reason: Added photo
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 10:15   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I appreciate this is likely a difficult process for you, selling your late fathers pride and joy, and something you probably don't do very often (advertising and selling cars). Whilst it is one of the the lowest mileage late model Mk 1 XC90 for sale in the country (or in the top 10 in any case), you stand the best chance by a country mile of getting the best price for it if it presents to sellers as a low risk purchase.

The people likely to buy a car like that I would say would be safety conscious family owners who don't have the budget for a newer model from a dealer at say £25k+++. Hence a car that has un-diagnosed issues and some maintenance needed will probably not be considered by 75%+ of that market, and the remaining 25% will bid you down hard over the issues. By that I mean 75% of those buyers wont want it at all, even if it's cheap, they won't want or have time for the hassle.

You're clearly a decent bloke as you have been upfront and honest about it and gone to the trouble of getting an inspection - that's to be respected. But my suggestion to you would be :

- Get the stiff power steering resolved (if it needs a rack this could be a £1,800 job at a dealer, cheaper at an Indie). Tip - there is a Volvo process for diagnosing this using a pressure gauge on the output of the power steering pump - a dealer will be aware of this and have the equipment to do it. Halfords/Kwik Fit - no chance.

- Get the cambelt done

- Replace the cracked tyres with mid range good brands (i.e. not Landsail, Sunny, Avanti... something like Hankook, Firestone..), although technically roadworthy they would not be acceptable to any safety conscious buyer. I would not leave the car with mixed tyres on the same axle.

- If it needs a service within the next six months, get that done, Volvo dealers do an "essential" service for lower mileage cars which is basically a safety check and oil change - but you still get a stamp in the book.

- Get a fresh MOT, it has less than two months, and deal with any advisories that might indicate further bills in the next 12 months.

Now that lot might easily cost over £2k to get done but I think it will add at least that to the price you will get on a private sale for a no issues vehicle and you will know they buyer is most unlikely to be disappointed - which I think will mean something.

And yes you will see similar cars advertised at £15k, maybe more, but these are from large dealers who offer finance, warranty, part ex and buyers will view that as 12-18 months of no risk, fixed cost motoring. A private sale is not that.

Just my two penneth....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jul 23rd, 2023 at 11:05.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: