Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 window regulator sliding pivots replacement

Views : 1872

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2017, 22:01   #11
oragex
Premier Member

I would add a tip to prevent the plastic sliders from breaking

During the winter, before I get in the car in the morning, I always depress with my fingers the outside black rubber seal at the bottom of the window, to break it loose if it's stuck to the window by ice. So the window doesn't force when I open it.

The second thing, when the window is closing, look at the bottom of the glass: if it looks like it's forcing on the outer rubber seal, it means the window is out of calibration and it's forcing on those blue plastic slides: these will break especially in cold days when the plastic gets brittle. Calibrate the window as shown on Youtube.
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 09:45   #12
Volvotastic

Question Window Regulator designs - which is better?

Thanks for these tips ...

Now I have a further question - the breaker who sold me the "new" regulator shipped me one that was different from the one shown in his advert.

See the images for details: I have marked the one from his advert as "your advert"

The One in his advert had pressings on the arms to make them stiffer.
The one in my car and the one he shipped has flat arms with no stiffeners.

I thought Volvo improved the design by adding pressings.
He told me Volvo improved the arms by thickening them but making them flat.

So can anyone confirm which is the "better" design. I am not convinced the flat ones are better but I have not inspected the other type - the car breaker clearly has!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l225.jpg (190.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171216_145858.jpg (164.1 KB, 14 views)

Engineer by Day - Car mechanic by Night - there is a difference!
Volvotastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 14:06   #13
sgtmike

Default 2003 S80 window sliding blocks

Can anyone help? I've replaced the passenger side blocks - no problem. The driver's side blocks have disintegrated in the recent cold here in the UK, and I thought "15-30mins, no problem!" Wrong! Whilst I can get the regulator arm to locate in the new block, with a satisfying "click", I cannot get the horseshoe clip back in - because unlike all the videos I've watched, the slider rail is the opposite way round. The open side is towards the door skin, which means that I cannot see what I'm doing to locate the retaining clip, and neither can I coax it in by feel (oo-er, missus!) because the regulator arm gets in the way. Any ideas?
sgtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 14:36   #14
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmike View Post
Can anyone help? I've replaced the passenger side blocks - no problem. The driver's side blocks have disintegrated in the recent cold here in the UK, and I thought "15-30mins, no problem!" Wrong! Whilst I can get the regulator arm to locate in the new block, with a satisfying "click", I cannot get the horseshoe clip back in - because unlike all the videos I've watched, the slider rail is the opposite way round. The open side is towards the door skin, which means that I cannot see what I'm doing to locate the retaining clip, and neither can I coax it in by feel (oo-er, missus!) because the regulator arm gets in the way. Any ideas?
Not sure what you mean by the rail slider is the opposite way around? You should be able to lift and tilt the whole window if you push underneath the rail slider.

Id recommend you disconnect the window switch from the Door Card, then plug it back into the connectors so you can move the mechanism around and position it better.

Pretty sure the blue plastic block can slide in from either side.

Old Jan 5th, 2021, 15:35   #15
sgtmike

Default 2003 S80 window sliding blocks

Thanks for the swift reply and pic. What I meant was: if you look at your photo, the rail that supports the bottom of the window and in which the blue plastic block slides, is a channel with one side closed and one side open. In your photo, the open side is facing towards you. In mine, the open side faces towards the door skin. It may be that someone in the past has fitted a LH regulator necessitating a reversal of those channels, because the pin/ball of the regulator arm that clicks into the sliding block on mine does so from the door skin side - unlike yours, which pushes into the block from the car interior side. This makes it an absolute nightmare to fit the retaining horseshoe spring, since you can't see what you are doing, and there isn't enough room at the end to apply pressure to push the clip into position, particularly if you have larger hands (as I do). Fortunately, I've managed to persuade my wife to get her (smaller) hands dirty, and by using a slightly stretched spring clip, we've now been able to get it back together and working....but I still wonder if I've got the wrong regulator in there. (BTW, my S80 is the same colour as yours, and I love it!)
sgtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 15:39   #16
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Video on how to swap them out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw13ExaYGiI
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 19:45   #17
MrJengles

Default V70 Driver's Side

I've managed to fit a replacement regulator, but the end of the scissor arm is going beyond the track of the gully in the aluminium section under the window. Is there supposed to be a stopper? It appears to be running off the end about half way through the motion.

Or is this a re-calibration case?

Thanks
MrJengles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 20:15   #18
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

general tip.. after replacement go up and down with the window a few times before reassembling the door. there's a small but possible chance your metal spring clip thing might ping off again if not seated fully which means you'll have to take it all apart again.

i managed three all fine but that pesky 4th one (drivers side, door latch end fwiw) pinged off halfway back up. it looked and felt like it was fully in place but obviously wasn't quite there

not difficult to refit, just a bit of a niusance. test it before you rebuild it!

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 20:17   #19
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJengles View Post
I've managed to fit a replacement regulator, but the end of the scissor arm is going beyond the track of the gully in the aluminium section under the window. Is there supposed to be a stopper? It appears to be running off the end about half way through the motion.

Or is this a re-calibration case?

Thanks

maybe I'm wrong but it seemed to me you can just pull that track off the window and reseat it? i didnt need to though. is it glued on or anything?

perhaps someone with a door card off can suggest some measurements to check against

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 18:29   #20
ellieray
Gaz

Ive just spent a couple of hours trying to replace the blue clip on my drivers door window. The old knackered ones were easy enough to remove but the new ones would not install properly. I used the 1A Auto video tutorial as a guide but like one of the earlier people said my regulator is facing the opposite way to the Volvo V70 that they used for demonstration purposes. I don't have fingers the size of a 5 year old but with the strength of Thor to get them to line up, click into place and then install the super strong spring. I now have a 2001 S80 (in the same lovely colour as the one in the pic posted earlier!) with both front windows inoperative Im going to have to bite the bullet and get a garage to take a look at them. Another issue i have is that the window seals on the doors are cracking/perishing. I don't really know what these are called to buy replacements. Any pointers?
Regards,
Gary.
ellieray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front sliding pivot, riveting, s80 2001, window regulator