Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Long periods between using the car.

Views : 1229

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 20:29   #1
MOzS90

Default Long periods between using the car.

I am having to go abroad with work.

Be about 4 months in total. Leaving the car on a trickle charger is not an option.

If I get Mrs M to use it once a month for a decent run to properly warm it up will that be enough??

Any other issues I need to be aware of? Are the Volvos batteries robust if left for weeks on end??

Thanks.

Last edited by MOzS90; Jun 19th, 2018 at 20:31.
MOzS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 20:49   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post

Be about 4 months in total. Leaving the car on a trickle charger is not an option.

If I get Mrs M to use it once a month for a decent run to properly warm it up will that be enough??

Any other issues I need to be aware of? Are the Volvos batteries robust if left for weeks on end??

Thanks.
A good run once a month will be fine , use the brakes a lot , pump up the tyres to 38 psi , keep about 1/3 tank of fuel and after the run which could use a gallon replenish with a fresh gallon . Park in the shade , give it a wash if it gets dirty ; Yes a volvo battery is robust , new cars have to have them charged every 3 months if in storage , however if they go flat just for a day or two it ruins them . If your battery is not 100% good , this rest will show it up .
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 23:57   #3
Converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post

Thanks.
Keep us updated how long you can leave the car unused without issue. I plan to be away for some time too...thanks alot.
Converted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 11:13   #4
dghdgh

I ve had mine parked for up to 5 weeks with no issues, if that helps.
dghdgh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dghdgh For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 11:31   #5
MOzS90

Thanks for the replies.

I’ll keep updating but the plan at the moment is to get Mrs M to drive it to work (about 10 miles of mixed roads) once a month.

She knows not to leave bird poo on the car and has promised to wash it off if she finds it but I don’t expect her to wash the whole car routinely (not sure I’d trust her!!!). It’ll give me a great excuse to get it properly detailed and ceramic coated when I get home!!
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 11:40   #6
wrinkles
VOC Member

My 940 estate stood for nearly 4 years with a quick run round the block every 6 months and a trickle charge I put it back on road a few weeks ago, passed MOT no probs. A quick polish and all fine. It was garaged fo its off road time.
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 12:47   #7
xsaab
Master Member

Persuade Mrs M to take the car to work at least once a week, it will help her to become very familiar with the car as well as get value from the cost of the car.

Only risk with this strategy is that she might the car so much that she will not let you have the use of it when you return....
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 16:42   #8
KNVXC90

Once left my D5 parked for 4 weeks, and no issues upon my return. Car started fine, and Stop/Start was soon working too.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 08:02   #9
MOzS90

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
Persuade Mrs M to take the car to work at least once a week, it will help her to become very familiar with the car as well as get value from the cost of the car.

Only risk with this strategy is that she might the car so much that she will not let you have the use of it when you return....
Mrs M has her own XC60 so your fears are unlikely to materialise!
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 09:40   #10
anotherv60
Master Member

It depends on the vehicle, we did a similar thing when we lived in the US, the qashqai battery went flat at some point in the first 3 months...consequence doors unlocked, radio satnav required code to reset, trickle charged it over the weekend and it was back to normal, ready to sit for another few months.Yaris was fine, but not as much electronics on board.