Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing rear pads on a 16 plate XC 60

Views : 955

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 16:56   #1
organgrinder

Default Replacing rear pads on a 16 plate XC 60

My XC 60 will need new rear pads soon. Volvo have quoted eye-watering figures and as a long term car restorer (MGs, Series I Landrovers etc)and experienced DIYer, is it true that you can simply rewind the EPB, remove the caliper and insert new pads without difficulties - 4 bolts per side in all OR do you HAVE TO USE the electronic tech to rewind and reset the ELB. There seems to be mixed messages on this subject and I don't want to drop a real clanger using the usual workshop tools without access to the electronic gear. Thanks.
organgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 17:35   #2
organgrinder

Hi all - sorry I looked through the posts and found one of mine from 3 years ago

However if anyone feels things have changed re my post, please say!. Thanks
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 17:38   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organgrinder View Post
My XC 60 will need new rear pads soon. Volvo have quoted eye-watering figures and as a long term car restorer (MGs, Series I Landrovers etc)and experienced DIYer, is it true that you can simply rewind the EPB, remove the caliper and insert new pads without difficulties - 4 bolts per side in all OR do you HAVE TO USE the electronic tech to rewind and reset the ELB. There seems to be mixed messages on this subject and I don't want to drop a real clanger using the usual workshop tools without access to the electronic gear. Thanks.
Placed on wrong MY xc60 forum; but the calipers have an electric motor and there is a way of removing the motor and winding the piston out but I am sure that to reset the parking brake after refitting you require the parking brake to be reset electronically. I have seen OBD 11 readers on ebay that claim to also wind out and reset parking brake on the none spa volvo's but I cant tell you if they actually work. None of the OBD 11 readers I have seen claim to work on 2015 > SPA models.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 20:53   #4
gaby
Premier Member

This one does:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOE-OBD-t...-/232630714838
It interfaces to an ethernet connector?
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 22:40   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
This one does:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOE-OBD-t...-/232630714838
It interfaces to an ethernet connector?
Yes Vida will work with spa models if you have it. (Wish I did)

Video of releasing epb and resetting manually on older models below. But I have seen warnings against doing it this way on spa models, might be just volvo wanting to scare people from doing it so they get the business.

https://youtu.be/QCp9LZ_sOeo
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 23:52   #6
MaDProFF
Master Member

Get a Quote from an independent.

Curious how many miles have you done? what model?
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 08:00   #7
organgrinder

26,000 miles not aggressive driving on an XC60 D5 AWD 2016 220 bhp

Last edited by organgrinder; Jun 20th, 2018 at 08:07.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 08:02   #8
Chief inspector
Master Member

I got 48,000 miles out of mine....but anyway if you look in the S60 section, I think the pads can be wound back by unplugging the electrical connector and applying 12V to them to wind them in/out, I think some even say a good 9V battery will do it.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 08:05   #9
organgrinder

Does mine have SPA architecture and if so what is it and what does it do? The only worry is winding back the EHB by what ever means only to find the electronics throw a wobbler and I'm left with a disabled vehicle up in the air!
Where is the best value for genuine OEM pads please? I want to have VOLVO grinning through the caliper as you look at the wheels to keep my dealer happy during the last year of warranty!
Apparently Volvo included instructions for manually resetting the motor in the box - does anyone have a scan/pdf/link etc to these instruction so I can see if Volvo still approve a manual reset.?
Thanks

Last edited by organgrinder; Jun 20th, 2018 at 08:29.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 11:05   #10
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by organgrinder View Post
Does mine have SPA architecture and if so what is it and what does it do? The only worry is winding back the EHB by what ever means only to find the electronics throw a wobbler and I'm left with a disabled vehicle up in the air!
Where is the best value for genuine OEM pads please? I want to have VOLVO grinning through the caliper as you look at the wheels to keep my dealer happy during the last year of warranty!
Apparently Volvo included instructions for manually resetting the motor in the box - does anyone have a scan/pdf/link etc to these instruction so I can see if Volvo still approve a manual reset.?
Thanks
Do you have the 'new' xc60 or the original one?
If it is the original then you do not have SPA architecture, which relates to the chassis type shared by the new xc60, xc90, v/s90. You are therefore posting in the wrong section of the forum.

If you check out the v/xc70 07- section of the forum you will find several posts recently relating to changing the rear brakes and xc60 is the same, I believe.

There is also a video on youtube by 'volvosweden' (note it is one word) where he changes the rear brakes on his xc70 using the official Volvo technique for when VIDA isn't available, i.e. Following the instructions given in the brake pad box.
The only thing he doesn't do is replace the bolts and o-rings that Volvo recommends you do do.
Personally, I disconnect the connector and use a couple of pieces of cable and a battery to wind in the EPB. This avoids opening up the winding mech and risking future water leaks (or spending extra £20-30 on o-rings and bolts)

For genuine parts there are several dealers who offer 'good deals' on parts. Some are on ebay, some are on here.
Personally, I use FRF who send parts all over. Check the start of their thread in the traders section. You have to phone them with your VIN and the forum discount code

Last edited by 1monkey600; Jun 20th, 2018 at 11:10. Reason: Added about where to get parts.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote