Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Types of engine: reliability etc.

Views : 3141

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2018, 19:17   #1
V40addict

Default Types of engine: reliability etc.

Which engine according to you is to be preferred when buying a used Volvo of the late 90's , early 2000's , and in particular among the S40/V40 series ?

Some random reading I have done gave me the impression, the S40/V40 series had less issues than some other popular Volvo models of the days, that's one other reason I like the V40. For example, the XC 90 had a lot of gearbox (auto) issues I read, and the same engine was used in other models (V70 ? not sure). The only issue I know of for the S40/V40 series is the automatic gearbox that can fail. Also turbos like all turbo engines. And the GDI Mitsubishi engine which is not recommended.

Regarding turbo models, I thought the 2 liter engine had a turbo (always) but apparently there is a 2.0 non turbo model (140hp vs 160hp for the turbo one). Is there a way to easily distinguish one from the other ? And how does this 2.0 L non turbo engine compare to the 1.8 L ? Are parts interchangeable between the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0L ? Say you want to swap a gearbox, or cylinders ? The 1.6 and 1.8 L have a Renault gearbox I believe ...

As for the diesel engine in the S40/V40 series , how would you compare their reliability, cost of maintenance vs the petrol engines ? And their ability not to turn into "smokers" after x years of age ?

Last edited by V40addict; May 13th, 2018 at 19:20.
V40addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 19:31   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

I only have experience of the 2.0 lt non turbo petrol. My p1 did 370,000mls and the engine was still good when scrapped. Only let me down once in all that time and that was a collapsed auxilary belt tensioner. So loved I replaced it with the P2 and that has now done 137,000mls and still good with no issues.

The p1 had a Renault gearbox, the p2 a Volvo box.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2018, 19:59   #3
emtor

My only experience is the B4184S2 (2002 V40).
Had the car for 2 years. Noisy VVT-hub from the start. They tend to do that.
Low fuel consumption, no oil consumption, starts equally well in summer as in winter temps down to beyond -40C. -Fires after the first rev.
Only trouble was in -35C where it wouldn't idle. Had to give it some pedal to make it run.
Lasted just a few minutes. IACV must have gotten stuck due to the cold. Never happened since.
Same low temp one year later, the starter solenoid refused to engage. A tap with a hammer and it started. Never happened since.
All in all a reliable engine.
emtor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtor For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2018, 01:03   #4
martin93

I would say all the engines on offer were pretty good, although yes I've heard the GDI can be temperamental so I would suggest avoiding that. I would also avoid the 1.6 as these are pretty slow and thirsty compared with the others. Diesel's were well proven Renault units which generally give no trouble. The P1's up to around 1999 did not have variable valve timing, so there were no issues with the VVT solenoid clicking.

The 1.6 and 1.8 Volvo engines were fitted with a Renault gearbox up to around 2003ish, and the 2.0 non turbo had the Renault box up until the P2 was introduced in around 2000. I think the 1.8i GDI had a Mitsubishi box (not sure on that), and the Diesel's were also Renault. The other gearbox fitted was a Volvo unit. Both of these boxes were good, but I personally would stick to a Renault box since these are mated to a solid flywheel, not a dual mass flywheel like the Volvo boxes were. This is speaking from a brief experience with a 2.0 non turbo phase 2, which decided to throw its flywheel away at just 90K. I then managed to buy my phase 1 back. Only issues with the Renault box are that the linkage bushes wear quickly leading to a sloppy gearchange, but this is an easy fix.

The biggest issues to watch out for on a S40 and V40 now is rust, now they are getting to that age. I've just welded all four corners of the sills on my 1998 P1 (it was so close to being taken away by the scrap man that I actually filled it with scrap), and under the back seats where the fuel tank sits. After having these sections cut out I can tell you (on the P1 at least) that these cars are not as well rust proofed as the bigger Volvo's. Rusty fuel and brake pipes are another common issue, the worst being the brake pipe which runs behind the fuel tank and down next to the fuel filter. I recon just about every one of these cars now have either had new pipes, or are going to need them very soon.

Don't let that put you off though. These are excellent cars, and I will certainly be running mine on for as long as possible. It's literally the only car I've owned which has never let me down. Even the air-con still works on mine, and I've never gassed it in my 5 years of ownership!
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:01   #5
emtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40addict View Post
The only issue I know of for the S40/V40 series is the automatic gearbox that can fail.
If I'm not mistaken these are Aisin Warner boxes. Aisin usually know how to make these but all Volvo models seem to have problems with their autoboxes.
There is one thing that kills these and that is ATF that gets too hot over time.
As far as I know you can install an additional cooling radiator too keep the fluid cool.
What usually happens is that the owner never changes the fluid and drives around with a caravan behind it all summer never bothering to shift down before driving up long and steep hills. ATF circulates too slow, gets hot and brakes down and the box is not lubricated properly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emtor For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2018, 16:54   #6
CopthorneMike

I own a 2003 V40 with the GDI engine.

I do see quite a few comments that GDI engines are 'problematic and to be avoided' but to be honest never had any problems with mine. Runs very well, fuel and oil consumption pretty good in my opinion for what is now a 15 year old model which has done over 200K miles.

Only problems I experienced occurred when the battery had been disconnected for a period (flat battery on one occasion) when the engine 'relearning' caused problems for a day or so (however I believe this is an issue with other S40 / V40 models from the same era.

I would be interested to hear if anyone who has actually owned a GDI engine experienced problems, or if this is simply based upon 'I hear from others' type anecdotes!
CopthorneMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 17:38   #7
emtor

The complaint on the GDI is carbon build-up if I'm not mistaken.
I've read somewhere that direct injected engines often have this problem if driven at low revs and mostly short trips.
Old May 14th, 2018, 19:36   #8
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I had the 2.0 non turbo (136bhp) and covered about 50 thousand miles in the few years I had it, nothing major other than regular wear and tear, maximum mileage for a pretty minimal outlay really when you consider I bought the car with 8 months MOT on for £400, then sold it for £425 several years later with nearly 190k on the clock and 19 years of age, i did however do quite a lot of modifications to the car which weren't necessary, I just wanted to be different.

I now have the 2.0 (high pressure turbo) t4 which are 200bhp as standard, mines more like 240, goes like a total beast, is 16 years old, has covered 175k and shows no signs of expiring any time soon, fine cars.
Old May 14th, 2018, 21:05   #9
V40addict

RE : rust

I recently looked at a 2003 S40 for sale, mint condition, but it had one or two rust spots on the body close to the wheels, with bubbles forming which I think is very bad, the owner was telling me he had been thinking about fixing that (can it be really done away with, short of repainting the whole side panel ?) and I checked underneath and it was starting doing the same thing alongside the doors.

One V40 I saw for sale had been flagged at the inspection for corroded brake lines, among other issues to keep an eye on (including oozing oil and a coolant leak), so I took a pass on that one. But on second thought, I understand having the brake lines changed is not terribly expensive and I had a coolant leak too that I fixed (thermostat gasket).

On mine, I had been told the brake lines started to rust as well and there were some rust spots on the undercarriage, the garage I used to go to put some rubber coating on those as "prevention". Afterward, I read this is a very bad remedy to such problem as it allows rust to develop under the coating (hopefully it was just small spots of rust they covered , some I could see when I looked myself under the car) .

Regarding the Volvo manual gearbox, that same gearbox was used for all 2.0 liter engines (turbo and all) starting in Phase 2 ?

Last edited by V40addict; May 14th, 2018 at 21:18.
V40addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 22:48   #10
martin93

The brake pipes themselves aren't too bad to do, but ideally the tank needs to come out in order to replace the offside rear. My tank was out while I was welding so took the opportunity to replace them there and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40addict View Post
Regarding the Volvo manual gearbox, that same gearbox was used for all 2.0 liter engines (turbo and all) starting in Phase 2 ?
Yes that is correct.