Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Beginner's questions about new V90

Views : 1190

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 14:02   #11
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbourne one-nil View Post
Great - thanks all - that makes sense. I didn't know it would allow you to say things like "I'm hot" but makes sense and sounds good.

Looking at those videos - like always it'll probably all make perfect sense once I get the car.
And a lot more, you can say temperature to 23 degrees, or what ever temp you require, you can say fan up or down, or to max or min etc and say syncronise temp to make both sides and rear climate the same temp and fan speed etc etc, there is a huge list of phrases that can be use for various functions.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 15:32   #12
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
The voice works better and does a lot more than the old XC60, yes, and 100% hit rate on the climate - 70% on media and Nav.
Yes. I find that the voice control does well with choosing media source but choosing radio stations is best done using the steering wheel buttons. There's a good reason that I don't use voice for phone calls other than to bring the menu up on the right hand screen, of recent calls etc for me to choose by button, and that is because a whole lot of my contacts have Welsh names, and the same goes for navigation, and Sensus voice control does not do Welsh names very well. English? No problem.

So most people who have an inquisitive open mind probably use a mix of control systems that best suits themselves in the light of experience. Less technologically adept and adaptable people probably use the centre touchscreen to adjust the climate control, which is the least convenient way of doing it. From any other temperature, I just say "temperature twenty" or "temperature nineteen" or whatever, and the system unfailingly changes correctly. For RDS radio or FM radio or other source, just use the underlined words. Set stations in the order you like as 'favourites' and these can then be toggled by using the right hand steering wheel buttons.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 22:11   #13
osbourne one-nil

Thanks all; sounds promising. The one thing that has impressed me about my current car's voice function is its ability to deal with different pronunciations of the same place; say Happisburgh as it's spelt and it finds it, say it as it's meant to be aaid, Hazebrugh, and it finds it. Same with Torpenhow which round here is pronounced Trapener. Can't help me phone my wife though.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 22:35   #14
Quacker
Premier Member

I don't think you would be so impressed if you asked for Llanfihangel y Creuddin, for instance. But you never know your luck.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 23:24   #15
osbourne one-nil

Ha ha! Not enough vowels I suspect.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 23:30   #16
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Ha ha! Not enough vowels I suspect.
Hmm! I count eight.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 15:28   #17
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
I get my D4 Momentum Pro (MY18) V90 next week and I've got a few queries, the answers to which I think might be obvious to others.

The spec sheet says it has Volvo On Call - I assume if I want the features such as remote start or remote unlock/lock to work, I'd need to install a SIM card? I have a mobile plan which gives me 25GB of data a month, but because I'm not 15, I don't get anywhere near that limit each month so could use that for streaming etc in the car...but does the car's modem work better than using the phone as a hotspot? I'm just trying to gauge how much data I should get if I did go for a separate SIM.

Are you able to control the climate with voice commands on all specs? I've seen a few criticisms of the climate system as being a bit fiddly to alter while driving, but if you can do it with voice commands, I can't see the problem.

Do the voice controls work better than in my MY16 XC60? I had a V70 prior to this one and it was better in every respect. My current XC60 takes ages, often doesn't understand me at all and frequently, on calls, the volume is just too low even with everything turned up to max.

I know you can deal with the gears manually, like in my current XC60, but does it also have the effect of putting into "sport mode" to help at nasty junctions or overtaking, etc, or is that now dealt with by the drive mode thingy?

I'm sure I'll have more!

Thanks
Hi,

Has the car got On call added as an option, as this would be a standard fit on MY19, but an extra on MY18....

EDIT: Ignore me.. just re-read that its a Pro you have on order.... standard on a Pro on MY18 and MY19!

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 21:12   #18
osbourne one-nil

Yeah - I think it has it! Although I thought I was getting more than I am as I initially looked at the MY19 spec sheet while mine is an MY18. However, the price I've got it for on a lease, I'm not going to complain!