Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Apple Carplay cost

Views : 14413

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2018, 19:20   #1
paramed-one

Default Apple Carplay cost

Hi, just collected my new car, a 07/2017 V90 Inscription and found that it does not have Apple Carplay fitted.

Dealer advises that the cost of a software upgrade to include this feature will be £350.

Interested to learn if anyone else has gone down this road, and if so, whether this quote is reasonable, and if you felt it was of benefit having Apple's carplay onboard?

Thanks.
paramed-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 19:48   #2
Chief inspector
Master Member

General consensus on here was that it wasn’t good value so I did not spec it.

You dont get the extra USB with the dealer fit one I believe.
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 19:56   #3
rejm68

I had it on my first XC90 and was unimpressed. Did not get it when I had to replace the original car.
MY18.5 Inscription Pro D5 Denim Blue Charcoal 21" 8 Spoke (Diamond Cut) Family Pack Xenium Pack Air Suspension Parking Camera Park Assist Pilot Sunroof BLIS Head-Up Display Dark Tinted Windows - Rear Side Windows and Cargo Area 3 pin socket
rejm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 20:07   #4
lalith16

Below is a link to the thread on Apple CarPlay, which was recently discussed on this forum; thought you might find it useful:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=279107
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 20:08   #5
BiggyG

Don’t bother. Volvo Maps are great and Bluetooth integration is great. Messaging is also great. Implementation is poor, not worth a penny
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 20:25   #6
Desseardo

I’ve specced it for my new XC90 with the smartphone integration but haven’t used it yet after 9 weeks of ownership. Waste of money personally. The Spotify app is the best thing.
Desseardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2018, 21:13   #7
Jcbrown

1st, congrats on your new car

Have AA/ACP as factory fit on MY17 S90, and personally hardly ever used it.

The jury is still out on if you get the 2nd USB port if it is a dealer fit option. Volvo accessories site for ACP/AA says you do not, but then someone found details of dealer fit option to replace single USB port with dual one - check out posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I would not pay £300 (cost when I got mine) or more again. Especially when it is becoming standard fit on more and more cars now
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 00:04   #8
Haldex
Premier Member

What jcbrown said- I have it too, use it, but quite unimpressed.. Has nothing to do with Volvo but rather with poor support of application developers for carplay.. I hope it will improve over time..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 07:03   #9
MOzS90

I have it - the used car I bought had it specced as aim not sure I would have chosen it.

I think it’s great. It seems to boost the signal of my phone when using it as opposed to the cars BT system. I do lots of checking in with family during my commute home and using car play keeps the call live throughout. Using BT I lose signal at times cutting off the call.

As I result - I’d always look for a car with it in future and CarPlay connectivity and features can only get better in future.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 07:09   #10
BiggyG

To be honest the reason I haven’t used it is mainly lack of support for Waze.

I have a Brodie phone cradle that allows me to see the phone screen for Waze while driving, and CarPlay is essentially a limited screen mirror. This means when i launch Waze on the phone, the CarPlay screen goes back to app view. And if i open podcasts or music on the CarPlay screen, Waze disappears.

Yesterday Apple announced support for 3rd Party Nav apps on CarPlay, so might make a difference when released in September time.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/04...ng-to-carplay/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BiggyG For This Useful Post:

Tags
apple, carplay, inscription, software upgrade, v90