Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC70 differential electronic module (DEM)

Views : 698

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2023, 19:55   #1
superbunika

Default Volvo XC70 differential electronic module (DEM)

Hi all!

I've been lurking in this forum for the past few years, unfortunately now has come the time where I need help myself.

I own a 2008 Volvo XC70 D5 AWD with 200k km. Recently, the car has thrown a message "DSTC Service required" and the local mechanic has concluded it's down to the DEM module which needs replacing/repairing.

Now I'm searching the Ebay for used modules, but also found these guys are repairing them: https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/volv...d-replacement/.

So, I wanted to ask the forum population:
1. Is it ok to procure a used module from Ebay?
2. Does anybody have experience with the above mentioned website? I would be sending the module from Croatia.
3. Does it make sense to change the AOC oil pump, filter and oil at the same time when replacing DEM?
4. Any other advice?

Pic of the module in the attachment.

Thanks,
Marko
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2023-07-24 at 15.51.42.jpeg (65.3 KB, 6 views)
superbunika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 23:39   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Why does your mechanic think that the DEM is causing the car to report that the DSTC needs servicing? Has he put VIDA on the car and if so what were the fault report codes?

Some possible causes of DSTC malfunctions are:

1. steering wheel angle sensor breaks down.
2. wheel speed sensors become soiled or damaged.
3. wires may have become damaged.

Having your own VIDA/DiCE might help you decide what is likely to be wrong once you know the fault codes which have been logged.

I'm not saying your mechanic is wrong but you don't say how he arrived at his conclusion about the Haldex merely because the stability program is malfunctioning. If he doesn't have VIDA, diagnosis through parts replacement could be an expensive and unnecessary process.
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 20:26   #3
100K+
Premier Member

To answer your questions as asked..
1) This would not be my preferred option, too much chance to make an error.
2) I have heard of this company, but again my choice would be "volvodiagnostics.com Tilbury London. Several members speak highly of "Lucus" (including me, have personal good experience with both DIM and DEM with him.
3) if you can yes change these items. Oil 1st, filter next, pump last. When you start these tasks you'll understand why I listed them in order...easiest to hardest..
4) Agree with comment 100% about getting Vida/dice to code read your car. Even better if you have access to your own setup
Cheers Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold

Last edited by 100K+; Jul 27th, 2023 at 20:32.
100K+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2023, 19:15   #4
superbunika

Hey guys, thank you for your answers, comments and concerns.

Honestly, I don't know if my mechanic has Vida DICE or some other general type of diagnostics (I would guess it's the latter tho, because it's a general garage and not only for Volvos). In any case, I don't see how it is my concern. I trust that he is qualified and is capable of detecting where and what is the problem. So, no worries there. In case it turns out it's not what he advised, then it's on him...

Anyway, I will contact the gents at volvodiagnostic.com (it's singular, the plural is some Aussie garage), I see they have a spare module and can program it according to my VIN. Hopefully, they are willing to send it to the continent. Thanks for that recommendation.

I will be changing oil for sure, filter I'd like to change. And for the pump we'll see how much work will be quoted.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it went.

Marko
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 08:44   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Volvodiagnotic.com will check your old dem to see if it’s fault free if you ask them. Saves expense of recon unit if not needed.
Cheers Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 12:40   #6
superbunika

I have finally solved this, and to expand upon the problem.

The culprit was the AOC pump which shorted, blew the fuse and Vida was reporting DEM as unavailable. Changing the fuse and disconnecting the pump from DEM made the error go away, but no AWD obviously.

Why the pump shorted? I guess it was the brushes. We have also replaced the filter and it was in ok condition, defo not clogged.

Anyway, it was a long journey to repair this, but done finally. Thanks to VolvoDiagnostic for their services in diagnosing DEM.
The Following User Says Thank You to superbunika For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 16:36   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbunika View Post
Hi all!

I've been lurking in this forum for the past few years, unfortunately now has come the time where I need help myself.

I own a 2008 Volvo XC70 D5 AWD with 200k km. Recently, the car has thrown a message "DSTC Service required" and the local mechanic has concluded it's down to the DEM module which needs replacing/repairing.

Now I'm searching the Ebay for used modules, but also found these guys are repairing them: https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/volv...d-replacement/.

So, I wanted to ask the forum population:
1. Is it ok to procure a used module from Ebay?
2. Does anybody have experience with the above mentioned website? I would be sending the module from Croatia.
3. Does it make sense to change the AOC oil pump, filter and oil at the same time when replacing DEM?
4. Any other advice?

Pic of the module in the attachment.

Thanks,
Marko
Quote: "Honestly, I don't know if my mechanic has Vida DICE or some other general type of diagnostics (I would guess it's the latter tho, because it's a general garage and not only for Volvos). In any case, I don't see how it is my concern. I trust that he is qualified and is capable of detecting where and what is the problem. So, no worries there. In case it turns out it's not what he advised, then it's on him..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbunika View Post
I have finally solved this, and to expand upon the problem.

The culprit was the AOC pump which shorted, blew the fuse and Vida was reporting DEM as unavailable. Changing the fuse and disconnecting the pump from DEM made the error go away, but no AWD obviously.

Why the pump shorted? I guess it was the brushes. We have also replaced the filter and it was in ok condition, defo not clogged.

Anyway, it was a long journey to repair this, but done finally. Thanks to VolvoDiagnostic for their services in diagnosing DEM.
So judging by the post above, your mechanic was wrong... you would have replaced the DEM for nothing, which would have cost you money and more time and the problem wasn't fixed. Its easy to say if the problem isn't fixed then its "on him"... easy answer, but realistically, if he didn't know what the problem was in the first place, good luck getting it fixed! This is why you don't go to garages with general diagnostics asking them to solve problems on a prestige car. That can be a very costly exercise. This, of course, is assuming it wasn't the same guy that fixed the problem. If he fixed it, then fair do's, but from experience, places that fix a multitude of cars aren't experienced in Volvo's. There's a difference between oil changes and complicated electrics.

Its good to hear you got the problem sorted. Ideally, go to a place that's equipped with the software and knowledge of Volvo's (if available). It works out in the long run and you probably would have found out what the issue was right from the outset, without guesswork.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 2nd, 2024 at 17:17.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: