Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

R Design seat repair.. the start of a project?

Views : 1114

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2019, 21:04   #1
M4ss4

Default R Design seat repair.. the start of a project?

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had their R Design black and white seats repaired.

I havs spent some time searching and can't find anything conclusive.

I picked up my new (to me) Sapphire Black C30 D2 R design last month. Great spec car with sun roof, Bluetooth etc etc. However, the seats looked in good condition in the photos but following a thorough clean they appeared to be in not so great shape. The car was filthy when I picked it up long story..

So after digging in, it appears that have been messily painted with leather colour on the white sections and that became quite patchy as I cleaned it.

On the drivers side base a part of the black synthetic fabric has a 10p circular wear hole with some broken cracked fabric.

I have watched a few YouTube videos of repairs using silicone sealant and colour paints for the leather and i am pretty handy at most diy tasks so thought this may be an option.

I have found plenty of leather and vinyl repair kits on the market but thought I would ask my fellow volvo enthusiasts.

So what have other people done? It appears this is a common problem. I did find a post about new covers but I wasn't certain. The thread was from a while ago and I couldn't find anywhere listing stock.

So following lots of car cleaning guru videos i am hooked on trying to improve my 8 year old C30. To be honest this car is turning out to be one of the most enjoyable cars i have owned and i find it's road character very enjoyable.

So this may be the start of a gentle slope of repair and detailing to get the car to be its best self. Happy to throw up some photos and write up of the work i am doing if anyone is interested.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190901_195636_resized_20190912_100525459.jpg (363.3 KB, 17 views)
M4ss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 21:41   #2
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ss4 View Post
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had their R Design black and white seats repaired.

I havs spent some time searching and can't find anything conclusive.

I picked up my new (to me) Sapphire Black C30 D2 R design last month. Great spec car with sun roof, Bluetooth etc etc. However, the seats looked in good condition in the photos but following a thorough clean they appeared to be in not so great shape. The car was filthy when I picked it up long story..

So after digging in, it appears that have been messily painted with leather colour on the white sections and that became quite patchy as I cleaned it.

On the drivers side base a part of the black synthetic fabric has a 10p circular wear hole with some broken cracked fabric.

I have watched a few YouTube videos of repairs using silicone sealant and colour paints for the leather and i am pretty handy at most diy tasks so thought this may be an option.

I have found plenty of leather and vinyl repair kits on the market but thought I would ask my fellow volvo enthusiasts.

So what have other people done? It appears this is a common problem. I did find a post about new covers but I wasn't certain. The thread was from a while ago and I couldn't find anywhere listing stock.

So following lots of car cleaning guru videos i am hooked on trying to improve my 8 year old C30. To be honest this car is turning out to be one of the most enjoyable cars i have owned and i find it's road character very enjoyable.

So this may be the start of a gentle slope of repair and detailing to get the car to be its best self. Happy to throw up some photos and write up of the work i am doing if anyone is interested.

Dave
there are some vids of how to swap the covers. i found u can get a set of seats with good condition leather for not much from a breakers... swapping covera is best bet

these look okay, need some better pics... tear looks repairable invisibly on front edge of seat...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F274051889986

FYI I have nothing to do with this ebay listing and I'm not endorsing it in any way.. just posting as an example.....

Last edited by lockstock; Oct 17th, 2019 at 23:39.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote