Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Various issues

Views : 1125

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2019, 22:27   #1
Sahodgson
Yoorkshireman

Question Various issues

Hi all,

Collected (new to me) Volvo V70 geartronic 2009, few little niggles to sort:

1. Front and rear (and headlamp, though not bothered about these) screen wash not working, I can hear the relay click and the 15A fuse in the footwell is okay. I have read they are easy to replace, before I dive in, is it two pumps (front and rear) or a single pump?

2. Slight knock from near side front suspension.... will take to garage to find out what the issue is there (hopefully a track rod end or drop link, though lower wishbone isn’t too expensive...). Shocker looks okay and strut top seems sound.

3. Bonnet shut is uneven, sits slightly higher on near side.... are the catches easy to get to and adjust or just leave it. Everything is straight on front of car, I can push the bonnet on the near side down to match the offside. The offside is solid and doesn’t push down any further...

Other than those niggles, for a 170k mile car she goes great, stops great and sounds great.

Cheers,

S.
Sahodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 23:08   #2
Sahodgson
Yoorkshireman

Smile

Update:

Screen washer pump replaced (£7.95)... bit of squeeze to reach but done and now operating as they should. Haven’t touched the headlamp wash yet.... though is easier to replace.

Bonnet evened up using the rubber screw tops, almost right, think it might need a slight adjustment on bolts (literally 1mm).

Taking to garage hopefully tomorrow to see what is knocking on front nearside...

S.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 00:09   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahodgson View Post
Update:

Screen washer pump replaced (£7.95)... bit of squeeze to reach but done and now operating as they should. Haven’t touched the headlamp wash yet.... though is easier to replace.

Bonnet evened up using the rubber screw tops, almost right, think it might need a slight adjustment on bolts (literally 1mm).

Taking to garage hopefully tomorrow to see what is knocking on front nearside...

S.
Cheap fix!

So are there two pumps then, one for the windows & one for the headlamp wash?

I'll be interesting to know what the knocking noise is. I have a similar knocking type of sound on my S80 & I suspect its the strut mounts, but it might not be. I've had the ball joints, control arms, drop links & track rods checked & they said they're very tight. Let me know if they find anything.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 00:19   #4
Sahodgson
Yoorkshireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Cheap fix!

So are there two pumps then, one for the windows & one for the headlamp wash?

I'll be interesting to know what the knocking noise is. I have a similar knocking type of sound on my S80 & I suspect its the strut mounts, but it might not be. I've had the ball joints, control arms, drop links & track rods checked & they said they're very tight. Let me know if they find anything.
One pump on front left of washer bottle (access by removing inner wing, you can’t see it but easy to feel between bottle and bumper) this does the windows front and rear. The headlamp pump is bigger (high pressure) and on the back of the washer bottle and is right in front of you when you remove the inner wing... haven’t priced this one yet.

I’ll let you know how I get on with suspension....
The Following User Says Thank You to Sahodgson For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 00:18   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

How did you get on?
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 00:16   #6
Sahodgson
Yoorkshireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
How did you get on?
Not done yet, taking on Monday or Tuesday.... Work got in the way...again 😕
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 12:21   #7
Sahodgson
Yoorkshireman

Knocking from front was bust shock absorber top mount.
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 17:35   #8
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
I replaced mine with febi Bilstien ones , £13.60 + vat from local factors each, think volvo wanted £50 or something as rediculous. FoMoCo part again as is all the front suspention.
Likewise the anti roll bar drop links, Febi Bilstien £14 including VAT, volvo £30 +vat.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 00:11   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
I need to get my car up on a ramp to have a proper check of the suspension - Its hard to do off a jack. I had a look at the strut mounts on my car & they look solid, but there's definitely something knocking. I think the inner track rods might be the issue, but its hard to say without properly looking into it. I did bring it to a garage not so long ago & I was told the suspension components are solid, but I heard the clunk noise as soon as I drove out the gate! I couldn't be bothered taking it back.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 28th, 2019 at 00:14.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 22:54   #10
Sahodgson
Yoorkshireman

Update: headlamp washers fixed, blown fuse (wrong size fitted, 10A instead of correct 15A).... now work perfectly. 😀

That’s all the faults I have found corrected, only faults left are car park dings and scabby alloys... will leave those for now!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sahodgson For This Useful Post: