Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OBD11 Reader Help

Views : 514

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2019, 11:48   #1
EMM

Default OBD11 Reader Help

Hello All,

My ABS light has come on intermittent. Sometimes I’ll brake and the abs just cuts in then boom light.

I’ve been to a few garages and non can pull the code and Yeap it has an MOT due Tuesday.

Does anyone have a reader that will read the codes in the Gloucester area? I have a 1995/6 T5 850

Andy
EMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 12:29   #2
Cookeh
Premier Member

You need a flash code reader. Have a search in this forum for it, or on matthewsvolvosite.com. Tonnes of links explaining what it is, how to do it, and what you'll need to make it.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 16:37   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Also, cracked or corroded reluctor rings on the front hubs are favourite for this, I know it's guessing and you really need the codes, but checking the rings is free, if you've got time to get under there and have a close look. Changing them is fairly easy and very cheap.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 18:36   #4
EMM

Thanks for all the help.

I have made a home made ODB2 flash reader and managed to pull the following codes

1-3-2
1-3-4
2-3-1
4-1-4
4-1-8

But nothing to do with the ABS or I haven't found the right pin.
Never thought of the ABS rings.

However I did notice that the ABS module has never been replaced so I'm going to get that sorted.
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 08:05   #5
dingov70
Master Member

Hello there , OK here we go

Follow this link & you will acquire the full listing of codes for each module . Make sure you are reading the right module as you may well misread the error code , the same flash sequence occurs for differing problems .

A quick solution for diagnosing ABS faults is to use an analogue multimeter , lift a wheel enough to turn it , unplug sensor , connect multimeter to the pins FROM the sensor , set to lowest voltage range & spin the wheel . IF the sensor is working , you will notice the needle move everytime the sensor triggers . A digital multimeter will not notice the voltage in the same way as the analogue one .

Before replacing ABS module make damn sure everything else is functioning , it's a lot of money to find you still have the same issue
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 13:27   #6
Cookeh
Premier Member

You need to be reading the codes off pin A3 for the ABS system. Here is a list explaining all, and the code meanings:

click me.

Based off those flash codes, it looks like you were on pin B1 for the ECC system.

Last edited by Cookeh; Oct 13th, 2019 at 13:30.
Cookeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 17:37   #7
EMM

I pulled the module and will get it repaired as its peanuts and then I can rule it out. It does not look repaired at all.

However from my understanding only Volvo software can read the ABS codes? Sorry if that is incorrect.

I did speak with Volvo yesterday and they said 9/10 it’s the module

I’ll let you know what happens.
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 18:00   #8
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

If the ABS module is anything like the one for a ’97 V70? Then I would look at the repair method covered by the form advice: ~ also did a bit of a write- up when I completed the same, it is quite straight forward if you have a soldering iron the solder joints to the right of the circuit board are the main culprits – the lid is also easily removed without butchering! Please see article for further details.
Trust it may help.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2019, 18:47   #9
Cookeh
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMM View Post
I pulled the module and will get it repaired as its peanuts and then I can rule it out. It does not look repaired at all.

However from my understanding only Volvo software can read the ABS codes? Sorry if that is incorrect.

I did speak with Volvo yesterday and they said 9/10 it’s the module

I’ll let you know what happens.
You can get the codes from the pin A3, in the same way as you got the codes you got first time - just need to make sure you're on the right one!

Module is an incredibly common failure point, but so are the connections from the speed sensors to the module - worth checking the resistance there. Here's an explanation on how to do it: click me.

Another common failure occurs if you swapped your suspension to anything other than Sachs - they have an additional cable mounting grommit that can wear through the speed sensor cabling and cause grounding issues. Easy to check too.