Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Three Data Sim Cards.

Views : 11988

Replies : 101

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2017, 13:35   #1
tem
Premier Member

Default Three Data Sim Cards.

I see on Three.co.uk that the price for the PAYG, 12GB Data Sim is now £40.
MyMemory, still have them at £24.99.

I have enough data sims to last for the next two years, but others may want to order more from MyMemory, incase they stop the offer, or increase the price.

tem.
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 20:39   #2
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
I see on Three.co.uk that the price for the PAYG, 12GB Data Sim is now £40.
MyMemory, still have them at £24.99.

I have enough data sims to last for the next two years, but others may want to order more from MyMemory, incase they stop the offer, or increase the price.

tem.
Do they have a 'time' limit Tem?, my O2 5gb data sim is for 3 months @ £25, if the 3 sim has a longer life with equally good coverage I might do a swop!

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 22:05   #3
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Do they have a 'time' limit Tem?, my O2 5gb data sim is for 3 months @ £25, if the 3 sim has a longer life with equally good coverage I might do a swop!

Paul
It lasts for 12 months or shorter, if you use the 12 GB of data sooner.

tem.
Old Sep 15th, 2017, 23:16   #4
Jcbrown

Its amazing how much the price varies

3 - £40
Argos - £34.99
My Memory - £24.99

All 12Gb/12Months
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 07:53   #5
andyfromembsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
It lasts for 12 months or shorter, if you use the 12 GB of data sooner.

tem.
Is that 12 months from when you start using it though? I've just got one and couldn't see a "use by" date on the packaging?
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 08:16   #6
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromembsay View Post
Is that 12 months from when you start using it though? I've just got one and couldn't see a "use by" date on the packaging?
As far as I understand, they are from the date you start using them. At least that is what it has been on the 3 month ones I have had - which reminds me, I must order a 12 month one, as current 3 month one will expire soon
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 08:24   #7
andyfromembsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
As far as I understand, they are from the date you start using them. At least that is what it has been on the 3 month ones I have had - which reminds me, I must order a 12 month one, as current 3 month one will expire soon
So worth buying one or two more - though as I'm one day into xc90 ownership I haven't got much of an idea how much I'll use!!
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 08:50   #8
Jcbrown

Quote:
So worth buying one or two more
I guess so - unless 3 go bust, you lose the spare SIM in the next 12 months, or there is some radical shake up in 3s mobile technology you should be safe

I have just gone for 3month/3Gb ones from Argos to date (£10), but I am just ordering one of the 12month/12Gb ones from MyMemory on the other screen. Do check carefully as there are multiple 3-SIM cards on MyMemory's web site, including three 12Gb ones. Two of those are cheaper, but only last 30 days, not 12 months. There is also an unlimited data one for £24.99, but again it is only 30 days. 12 months/12Gb is this one: https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g...12gb-data.html. There is another thread from a couple of months ago about this too.

Quote:
though as I'm one day into xc90 ownership I haven't got much of an idea how much I'll use!!
Enjoy your new car

Data usage does appear to vary quite a bit according to peoples posts. I have found I have been consistently ±1Gb a month over the last 7 months, so the 12Gb should last around a year. if it is less, or I end up having lots of data left after 12 month, so be it. I am not going to quibble over £25 in a year
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 09:14   #9
andyfromembsay

Cheers - think i've bought the right one so will see how we go in a month or two.
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 10:12   #10
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Cheers - think i've bought the right one so will see how we go in a month or two.
If you plan to go 'Roaming', then you will need to activate this, as these Data sims are initially selected for the UK.

I had to do this, via the Three web site, as I do not have an inbuilt modem in the car.
If you are installing the sim in the car, you should be able to select 'Roaming', via the comm's menu.

tem.