Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noises from clutch

Views : 2435

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 23:28   #11
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Hi all,

I've had this noise pretty much since I got the car but it's really starting to annoy me now so I'm looking to get this sorted.

I have two noises both around gearbox area, first is a high pitched squealing bearing noise that I get on a cold start on cold days which goes up and gown with revs but disappears completely if I press the clutch in. The noise does not happen when the engine is hot or on 'cold' starts on a summers day (warmer temps). The noise also stops after about 3 minutes when everything has warmed up.

The second noise is a constant rattle from gearbox area when engine is hot but this goes away when the clutch is pressed, I'm pretty sure this is the springs on the DMF so that'll need replacing.

The high pitched one is more of a concern for me. I expect it's either something clutch related or worst case the gearbox input shaft bearing but I can't find any similar noises to identify it with.

I've uploaded a video of the first noise but the volume is a bit low

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbL2BWcovf0

I usually forget it has this issue during summer because it never does it, then every winter it sits in the back of my mind every morning when I start it up.

Anyone had this noise before?
you ever get to the bottom of this?
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 11:09   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
My M66 box has always screamed a bit in 2nd gear (from 24000 miles) I treat it as 'characteristic' it certainly hasn't got worse in the 80,000 miles I've put on it. The box is also famously stiff when cold but nice and 'snickety' when hot).

I drive it very hard but have changed the gearbox oil 3 times (currently running Fuuchs Titan Sintofluid).

I think your issue is the clutch release bearing.
why not use the genuine volvo oil ? some years ago they improved it for the very reason of giving better cold performance ...
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 20:56   #13
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
why not use the genuine volvo oil ? some years ago they improved it for the very reason of giving better cold performance ...
Sadly 9/10 times if you ask Volvo themselves they will turn you away saying 'sorry mate, sealed for life'.

I have a master tech for Volvo in my family and even he said the oil doesn't need replacing in them and I'd be wasting my money (he's wrong though, IMO!).
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 21:19   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Sadly 9/10 times if you ask Volvo themselves they will turn you away saying 'sorry mate, sealed for life'.

I have a master tech for Volvo in my family and even he said the oil doesn't need replacing in them and I'd be wasting my money (he's wrong though, IMO!).
No he's not wrong , you will still find 25 year old 850's still going around with their original oil and the gearboxes in perfect condition . Also volvo will never say a gearbox is sealed for life because it is not , it has filler and drain plugs ...
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 12:58   #15
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No he's not wrong , you will still find 25 year old 850's still going around with their original oil and the gearboxes in perfect condition . Also volvo will never say a gearbox is sealed for life because it is not , it has filler and drain plugs ...
I really wouldnt like to see 25y old oil in my gearbox, though. Its true that most service people in Volvo (I asked in 3 garages) will try to convince you that some parts are "sealed for life and no need to replace fluids in them". Heard this about my gearbox, heard this about my AWD system (angle gear, rear diff, even haldex oil!). Not sure if thats from lack of knowledge, lack of effort or general "car is old, why would you care?" attitude. Fortunately I was able to buy all fluids from Volvo (if its "sealed for life, why you sell fluid for it?) and replace it at my mech's. The colour/consistency of haldex oil or diff oil after 100k miles was... well... lack of words.
so my advice is to do similar - get proper oils in volvo and replace it at your trusted garage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post: