Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

intank fuel pump

Views : 7660

Replies : 227

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2019, 11:55   #61
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I see the coil wires have been widelly discussed. But as a very simple starting point that applies mutatis mutandis in many situations re many components.

Re that coil. Before changing those connections the first question was please this: was the car running up until now with the coil connected as it was and if so have the connections been changed since the engine last started and ran?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I do hope that helps. And again, good luck.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 12:20   #62
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Perhaps this may help.

Seriously.

Its incredibly hard (not to mention expensive) to attempt any diagnosis if you don't know the basics of what you are looking at or trying to achieve.

This course could be a hundy well spent. Hell, you've spent that much already and you still don't know whats wrong, let alone got it going.
A course could be good in the long run. And gaining experience supported in this forum.

But at the moment paying for a trained person to diagnose the problem might be cheapest, to avoid money on unnecessary parts. And avoid expensive damage for example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post

Neverever run a fuel pump dry!
Even don't try it. The fastest way to destroy a fuel pump.
As it happens, I didn't know that.

As always. Good luck.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 13:03   #63
atco

Default fuel pump

so not to run the fuel pump dry if there is no fuel getting thro.so if i put the meths in the tank will it damage the pump if its not getting thro.but will do that today after a trip down BQ.also check for spark on all plugs
atco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 13:49   #64
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

No more so than running it with no petrol getting through.

I suspect the tank is full of condensation, hence the meths. Hope you're not buying the meths at B&Q?

Horrendously expensive as they only sell it in the little 0.5L bottles for about £4 - go to Toolstation instead, 2L is £7 and you'll need 2 of them so £14 total :

https://www.toolstation.com/methylated-spirit/p99550

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 17:08   #65
atco

Default fuel pump

before i was to reply to your last post i went over BQ to have a look and as you said its dead expencive.£4.59 for 500 mil six bottles later thats not cheep so ill take your advise .so you will have to bear with me a couple of days till i get .cherrs.so ill check plug sparks instead .so while im waiting for that to happen would it be a good idear to take the fuel line of just past the fuel pump to see if there is fuel coming thro on the turn of the key or in the engine bay.
Old May 25th, 2019, 17:58   #66
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'd leave things alone until you've got the meths and added it to the tank, make sure the coil connections go back as they were and the battery is fully charged then give it a good few tries.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 25th, 2019, 20:08   #67
atco

Default fuel pump

hi dave. just been down the garage and changed the connections over to what they were.and ordered the 4L of meths from toolstation and hopefully will be delivered on monday .got a bit confused when taking the coil leeds of to clean the contacts and thinking about red to poss so i assumed.mmm.i was thinking battery turminals.but hey im learning right.
The Following User Says Thank You to atco For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2019, 20:28   #68
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The big thing i hope you've learned on that one is to do one at a time - with everything. Yes it can take longer in some ways but if you make a mistake, get disturbed, called away or whatever while doing it, you only have one thing to try and remember/replace or back-track on.

When you do get to the bottom of the problem, not only will you realise all the evidence was there all along but also that by doing one thing at a time, you know what has worked.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2019, 22:49   #69
omc 47
VOC Member

Jees' 67 replies in 5 days on how to sort a fuel problem and the bleeding thing still won't start...............it's a bit of a worry.
Lord Scooby your advice and loyalty to problems is above and beyond the call of duty...............now even l have run out of popcorn!!!
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2019, 23:24   #70
atco

Default fuel pump

omg what have i started even im sitting on the sofa with popcorn.toffee one is nice. just to say if you don,t ask you dont get.can also tot up to a small fortune if i was into replacing everything at the same time so hopfully this way im learning at the same time.ive had a mobile machanic have a little look from the start but gets very expensive on the hour.they take a little look tel you to change this and charge lots until the next time.