Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0d

Views : 1233

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2019, 12:21   #1
karlB

Default S40 2.0d

Hi all.

My s40 2.0d has started to have difficulty starting, I usually just turn the key and she starts up first time no bother at all, but at the moment 90% of the time when I turn the key I get no response as in she don't even try and start so it might take anything from 2 to 5 times before she will start up, it's not that she turns over and won't start there's just nothing there at all, I get no warning on the dash to say low key battery or anything if that would cause the problem or not I don't know, anyone else had this issue.
karlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 16:08   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlB View Post
Hi all.

My s40 2.0d has started to have difficulty starting, I usually just turn the key and she starts up first time no bother at all, but at the moment 90% of the time when I turn the key I get no response as in she don't even try and start so it might take anything from 2 to 5 times before she will start up, it's not that she turns over and won't start there's just nothing there at all, I get no warning on the dash to say low key battery or anything if that would cause the problem or not I don't know, anyone else had this issue.
It is most likely the ignition switch , they can play up on an older S40, volvo modified them twice so the latest one will be fine . To prove it when it will not start just turn the key 50 times and it should start on one of those attempts ...
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 13:23   #3
karlB

Thanks for the reply clan, 50 times ? really
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 14:58   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply clan, 50 times ? really
yes try it , it is likely to start on one of those attempts , the contacts inside play up .
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 10:44   #5
benrpatterson

Yep had that problem... see my original post if it sounds like yours.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286309
benrpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 12:57   #6
karlB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is most likely the ignition switch , they can play up on an older S40, volvo modified them twice so the latest one will be fine . To prove it when it will not start just turn the key 50 times and it should start on one of those attempts ...

Hi Clan, so the latest ignition switch will be ok you say , would you know the part number at all, and if I get the latest one will it just be a case of plug and play as I don't want to have to take all the dash and stuff off twice if smothing needs coding. , , , Cheers.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 13:18   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi Clan, so the latest ignition switch will be ok you say , would you know the part number at all, and if I get the latest one will it just be a case of plug and play as I don't want to have to take all the dash and stuff off twice if smothing needs coding. , , , Cheers.
All the switches are the same fitting , just the quality has been improved . They do not need software .... Your dealer will give you the correct latest part number , I doubt you can get the latest genuine Volvo ones anywhere else ...
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 15:03   #8
karlB

Quote:
All the switches are the same fitting , just the quality has been improved . They do not need software .... Your dealer will give you the correct latest part number , I doubt you can get the latest genuine Volvo ones anywhere else ...

Hi Clan me again, so there are 3 different ignition switches that will fit the s40 /v50 and the last two being upgraded switches, just trying to get my head around this, so it looks like all volvo s40 / v50 keys look the same shape so for instance my ignition key would fit into your ignition and vice versa, so do you know how far the key would turn in this situation ? probably not at all, I noticed on insertion of key it sounds like it automatically unlocks the steering lock , so I assume the key is read on insertion into the ignition by the ecu and not the ignition switch itself, the reason I am asking you really as you seem knowledgeable about this situation and I am in a situation where as I really cannot afford a brand new ignition switch at this moment in time and will also have to do the job myself, I have seen a genuine brand new switch on ebay for £60 that I could just about afford, plenty of cheaper secondhand ones for £30 but don't want the risk of same thing happening again a day /week/ month / down the line, sorry for the long post.

Karl.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 16:01   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi Clan me again, so there are 3 different ignition switches that will fit the s40 /v50 and the last two being upgraded switches, just trying to get my head around this, so it looks like all volvo s40 / v50 keys look the same shape so for instance my ignition key would fit into your ignition and vice versa, so do you know how far the key would turn in this situation ? probably not at all, I noticed on insertion of key it sounds like it automatically unlocks the steering lock , so I assume the key is read on insertion into the ignition by the ecu and not the ignition switch itself, the reason I am asking you really as you seem knowledgeable about this situation and I am in a situation where as I really cannot afford a brand new ignition switch at this moment in time and will also have to do the job myself, I have seen a genuine brand new switch on ebay for £60 that I could just about afford, plenty of cheaper secondhand ones for £30 but don't want the risk of same thing happening again a day /week/ month / down the line, sorry for the long post.

Karl.
The switches are all the same , the quality and part number was superseded over the years ...
I have not put the wrong key in a car but If i remember right it will turn but nothing will happen .
The switch does contain the antenna which reads the key , but the decoding is done elsewhere in the car.

The only place you will get the latest guaranteed new switch is the dealer , Have you found out how much they cost? There were about £80 when i last changed one a few years ago .
If you get them from e-bay you will not be sure how old they are or what quality they are ..

I suppose the more you pay the more reliable it is going to be ... However you could easily put a 2004 switch in and it might last years . It is not a pleasant job to change so you will not want to do it twice ...

Good luck with it anyway ...
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 16:26   #10
karlB

Quote:
The switches are all the same , the quality and part number was superseded over the years ...
I have not put the wrong key in a car but If i remember right it will turn but nothing will happen .
The switch does contain the antenna which reads the key , but the decoding is done elsewhere in the car.

The only place you will get the latest guaranteed new switch is the dealer , Have you found out how much they cost? There were about £80 when i last changed one a few years ago .
If you get them from e-bay you will not be sure how old they are or what quality they are ..

I suppose the more you pay the more reliable it is going to be ... However you could easily put a 2004 switch in and it might last years . It is not a pleasant job to change so you will not want to do it twice ...

Good luck with it anyway ...
Cheers clan, waiting for a reply on price for switch, maybe going to replace the car in a few yrs anyway, been a great car so far.