Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to me XC60 - what should I check

Views : 1928

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2019, 10:11   #11
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I agree totally, Don't blame the car if you've not done the appropriate research.

Point A the On-Call - If the car was sold by a Volvo dealer as having On-Call have you spoken to them, If it's a Selekt car you have a return policy (not sure on the time span). Also you can get the car spec checked on here (there's a sticky) to confirm whats fitted

Point B the Stop/Start - Read the manual, give it a run to ensure that the battery is all charged, if it still doesn't work speak to the dealer & they'll sort it.

Point C Map Updates - Follow the instructions it's easy, download to USB, plug in the USB if it's formatted & set-up correctly the car just gets on with it. Yes it can take some time but you don't need to have the car running for the Hr or whatever it takes, the process resumes when the car is next started.

The Cars OS isn't the same as a Merc but then again neither is a Merc the same as a Jag etc... they all have their own little quirks & ways to use them. I don't have any issues with my infotainment in my 2015 XC60 In fact it's got the best entertainment I've ever had.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 00:58   #12
Chrisaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo s60 2001 View Post
Well, because you don't do it right (and probably never read the owner manual) it doesn't mean the 'whole infotainment system is a huge disappointment'!!!

The android auto takes half of the screen and everything is absolutely perfect as it should!

The map data is recommended to be downloaded directly to the USB stick (but someone need to read the instructions). It takes roughly 40min to be uploaded on the car. I don't understand the people moaning about the FREE updates!

Hope when you become more familiar with everything to stop blaming the car, because you didn't have the knowledge in advance!?
Got to be a while since I got RTFM, I have been a pro SW eng for 30 years, RTFM is not an option any more, I mean we may well give that as the first line response but the root cause analysis would look at why the manual was needed.

As it happens I did resort to the manual to work out how to make the auto-wipers work, perfect example, it is in manual, but if they marked up the auto-wiper button in same way they mark the auto-brake, auto-high beam and auto-stop start, I would not need to look at the manual.

As to downloading, due to the wifi problems I have no choice but to use USB, I downloaded the smallest set, UK + Iceland, put USB in the car, took about 3 hours to load, some kind of progress bar is required.

Using the in car nav last Sunday I blundered into a traffic jam on the A21, the Sensus system was oblivious despite having RTI via my phones bluetooth connection. I switched on Waze and it knew all about the incident that was about 40 mins old at the time.

I am not expecting the Sensus system to be as good as Google, google has an overwhelming data advantage, that is why I was so keen to use android auto (AA). I have it just about functional now, but it is temporary.

Currently google are trialing a new AA interface, if you go into the settings and turn that off, then the car can render the screen most of the time. But when google mainline the changes they are working on, unless they fix the issue, the car will need an update.

That does not address the main problem, AA is a portrait optimized app, the car has a portrait screen so it should be perfect, however the car only grants a small letter box to AA, so the AA display ends up smaller than most phones. It gets a bit worse because the resolution of the car screen is a bit lower meaning more of the available space is used for menu bar etc.

That for me is a disappointment, it could be so much better.
Chrisaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 01:19   #13
Chrisaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
I agree totally, Don't blame the car if you've not done the appropriate research.

Point A the On-Call - If the car was sold by a Volvo dealer as having On-Call have you spoken to them, If it's a Selekt car you have a return policy (not sure on the time span). Also you can get the car spec checked on here (there's a sticky) to confirm whats fitted
Has anyone ever used the Selekt swap option, does it apply to all of volvo UK or just the dealer group you got the car from, the dealer I got it from has nothing similar in stock.

The on-call thing was subtle, it was in the advert, I assumed it was there, sales never mentioned it, until I asked how much it would cost to subscribe and he confirmed it was included up to 3 years...

Could you give me a steer on where to find the initial spec data, that is useful to make sure you have not got any options that were not factory and should be disclosed to insurance.

Ta
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 06:30   #14
volvo s60 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisaaaaa View Post
Got to be a while since I got RTFM, I have been a pro SW eng for 30 years, RTFM is not an option any more, I mean we may well give that as the first line response but the root cause analysis would look at why the manual was needed.

As it happens I did resort to the manual to work out how to make the auto-wipers work, perfect example, it is in manual, but if they marked up the auto-wiper button in same way they mark the auto-brake, auto-high beam and auto-stop start, I would not need to look at the manual.

As to downloading, due to the wifi problems I have no choice but to use USB, I downloaded the smallest set, UK + Iceland, put USB in the car, took about 3 hours to load, some kind of progress bar is required.

Using the in car nav last Sunday I blundered into a traffic jam on the A21, the Sensus system was oblivious despite having RTI via my phones bluetooth connection. I switched on Waze and it knew all about the incident that was about 40 mins old at the time.

I am not expecting the Sensus system to be as good as Google, google has an overwhelming data advantage, that is why I was so keen to use android auto (AA). I have it just about functional now, but it is temporary.

Currently google are trialing a new AA interface, if you go into the settings and turn that off, then the car can render the screen most of the time. But when google mainline the changes they are working on, unless they fix the issue, the car will need an update.

That does not address the main problem, AA is a portrait optimized app, the car has a portrait screen so it should be perfect, however the car only grants a small letter box to AA, so the AA display ends up smaller than most phones. It gets a bit worse because the resolution of the car screen is a bit lower meaning more of the available space is used for menu bar etc.

That for me is a disappointment, it could be so much better.

Well, somethings is not right. Taking 3 hours only to download the UK +Iceland map to the car doesn't make sense! I would suggest to you to download the whole Europe map (50gb) to 64gb USB and then download it to the car. It takes around 40min.

Regarding the AA, as I said before, it takes half of the screen which is absolutely enough for me to see and work with it.

Hope you'll soon get used to it.
volvo s60 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 10:41   #15
xsaab
Master Member

Given that I have the included SIM card in my 2020 model I find that over the air download of the NW Europe (UK Ireland and Iceland) does not take too long (it is transparent to the user) I can continue to use the existing map data instead of using the USB drive technique which prevents the use of the SatNav during the upload.
My strategy for travelling into Europe (should we be allowed to do so) would be to refresh only the countries I would be planning to visit, either just before the trip or on arriving in the country (assumimg 4G is available and we are allowed to use our data alllowance with out having to pay a non EU person premium).

Even before I had the freeby SIM card using the hotspot feature of the smartphone provided a good way of updating the maps.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 22:46   #16
Chrisaaaaa

Question

An update, clarifications and more questions.

The wifi issue was fixed by fixing the alarm sensor.

I have worked out the failure to start, if you do not press the brake pedal it will not start and you get a message, it seems however if you do not PRESS it enough it just fails to start with no message, there is some unexplained variation, usually normal braking pressure is fine, other times you have to try and get the pedal to the floor.

-- Does anyone else find this?

I took the car up to Yorkshire and down to Devon over Xmas, the 3D (I live in Cambs) countryside had an unexpected effect, in Yorkshire it briefly decided that the oil had been overfilled, in Devon the oil was apparently all gone. I imagine that the level sensor is at the edge of the pan.

-- Does anyone else find this?

I had a towbar fitted (real Volvo retractable)

-- Should I see something like a trailer stability program in the settings?

I found an app for android that automatically re-enables BT internet sharing when the car is connected which gives me a constant internet connection. So now I have fully up to date maps and RT traffic info.

It is still poor, it dead ended me in an alleyway in Bridgend and in Cambridgeshire it still has me ploughing across fields for the new A14 layout.

For more than a week before christmas on my normal commute I happily drove along the road that the car thought was closed.

My phone has updated to android v10, so no android auto now, I am sure it will come back when google fix it.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 20:19   #17
St Evelyn
VOC Member

In answer to your questions:

Quote:
...if you do not PRESS it enough it just fails to start with no message...
-- Does anyone else find this? No, I've not experienced this.
Quote:
.....it briefly decided that the oil had been overfilled, in Devon the oil was apparently all gone....
-- Does anyone else find this? No, I've also never experienced this symptom
Quote:
I had a towbar fitted (real Volvo retractable)

-- Should I see something like a trailer stability program in the settings? No, that all kicks in automatically when you connect your trailer. If you've got a rearview camera you should see a towbar icon on the screen - touch this and it will change the angle of the camera so that you can see the tow ball when reversing to help you hook up.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote